Or120 1974

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: Or120 1974

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:01 am

PsyChris wrote:Jep, you're totally right. It was sold to me as a modified Epiphone.

250 euro's :)

I was saving up money in these last few years to go for the amps.
Fingers crossed, maybe next year a new more expensive one.

But I got to tell ya, she plays really nice! She's much more worth than 250 to me. And best of all, she really stays nicely in tune. And I can go wild sometimes :) (Gauges are the extra heavy ones from D'addario. 0.12 - 0.60)
Good, I'm glad you know what it is. I hate when I see people get ripped off buying those guitars.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 pm

beautiful amp, enjoy :)
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

fiveightandten wrote:I'd have to see a clearer picture to be 100% on it, but:
-Headstock carve is off (the open book carve is too deep, the bottom is too thick, and there's not enough curve to the sides).
-Diamond inlay is too small.
-The body carve is off, particularly the horn and the part around the upper strap button, which should be coming into the neck at a straighter angle.
-The stop bar is set in too far down.
-It looks to have a metric bridge, but I can't tell in this picture, as it's not clear enough.
-It doesn't have binding nibs on the frets, yet doesn't look yellowed enough to have needed a re-fret.

I could tell for sure with a better picture. Maybe he even bought it as a fake. I didn't want to take away from the topic at hand (the awesome Orange!), but I've known people to have fake Gibsons and not be aware of it, and IMO that picture raised enough flags to mention it for sake of clarification. They're all over the place. I saw one at Guitar Center last year on the floor. They had no idea and pulled it off the floor the second I pointed it out to them. It's really a big problem, and a sad one.

-Nick
flippin' awesome post.

this is why we should be careful buying a les paul from anywhere but a reputable dealer (not a box store), the manufacturer or else learn how to recognize the counterfeits. to be clear...the fakes aren't copies...they're counterfeits.

and how about fake strats? the decals for the headstock can be readily purchased.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

vitja
Tiny Terror

Post by vitja » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am

Welcome to OR120 fan club :)

And congrats! What are you running it on? PPC412 with V30???
If you have a chance, try it on G12Hs. I tried many different speakers, but I ended up with G12Hs Blackbacks from 78's. Black Magic! :)

Anyway, I think you will never sold your OR120. It is simple amp, that has tone all of its own, and there is no substitute for it.

Cheers!
73's OR120 w/master volume, 69 Orange - Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion G12H Blackbacks, Acoustic G100T, Ampeg V4 cab, early Marshall JCM 800 cab, Hohner Orgaphon 41, 73 Ibanez Les Paul Custom, Gibson Blues Hawk, Ibanez John Scofield...