Rocker 15! Wow!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 15! Wow!

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:38 am

I'm quite curious about the head version. Since discontinuing the TT, I have a feeling these might be in a lunch box form factor. I would really be into the 30 in a lunchbox factor.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 am

From the Orange Website, Rocker 15 page:
Like our latest flagship valve amp heads, the Rocker combos do away with plastic connector blocks and ribbon cables in favour of hand-soldered flying leads
Hooray!
They are listening then.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:18 pm

jontheid wrote:From the Orange Website, Rocker 15 page:
Like our latest flagship valve amp heads, the Rocker combos do away with plastic connector blocks and ribbon cables in favour of hand-soldered flying leads
Hooray!
They are listening then.
Either they are listening or most of the work done on warranty is concerned with those connections.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 am

jontheid wrote:From the Orange Website, Rocker 15 page:
Hooray!
They are listening then.
Yeah, that's great news!!! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

badfixben

Post by badfixben » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 pm

I got a Rocker 15... it's everything I've been looking for. Well, a 12" speaker might have been preferred, but otherwise, it's a great amp. I like it loads better than the Tiny Terror, which I found to be a bit bright, fizzy and the single tone knob didn't help.

I've been playing a Mesa Electra Dyne for years -- not like other Mesas at all, in fact it's the best sounding "Orange" amp I ever played. But my 1x12 Electra Dyne widebody combo is like 75lbs and loud as heck. I needed something grab-and-go. Tried the Terror (too bright & fizzy), tried an Egnater Tweaker (master of none), tried a Mesa 5:50 (nice but too heavy and Mark like), tried a Princeton (wanted British), used to have a Gibson GA15 (didn't like single vol & tone knob setup)...

The Rocker 15 is like the little brother to the Electra Dyne. I plugged the Rocker 15 into the speaker in the Electra Dyne combo, and I'll be darn... pretty close! Doesn't have the raw power or quite the low end, but it does as close to the blue electra dyne channel as I can imagine any EL84 amp will ever get. I generally don't like EL84 amps, but this one... pretty good. Pretty darn good. A definite keeper.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:56 am

badfixben wrote:I got a Rocker 15... it's everything I've been looking for. Well, a 12" speaker might have been preferred, but otherwise, it's a great amp. I like it loads better than the Tiny Terror, which I found to be a bit bright, fizzy and the single tone knob didn't help.

I've been playing a Mesa Electra Dyne for years -- not like other Mesas at all, in fact it's the best sounding "Orange" amp I ever played. But my 1x12 Electra Dyne widebody combo is like 75lbs and loud as heck. I needed something grab-and-go. Tried the Terror (too bright & fizzy), tried an Egnater Tweaker (master of none), tried a Mesa 5:50 (nice but too heavy and Mark like), tried a Princeton (wanted British), used to have a Gibson GA15 (didn't like single vol & tone knob setup)...

The Rocker 15 is like the little brother to the Electra Dyne. I plugged the Rocker 15 into the speaker in the Electra Dyne combo, and I'll be darn... pretty close! Doesn't have the raw power or quite the low end, but it does as close to the blue electra dyne channel as I can imagine any EL84 amp will ever get. I generally don't like EL84 amps, but this one... pretty good. Pretty darn good. A definite keeper.
Congrats! The new Rockers were a great move on Orange's part, imho.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

mtabrown

Post by mtabrown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

I have had my Rocker 15 since April of this year and here's what I have to say thus far:

I have used this amp for practice at home, jamming with friends and live gigs and it's the real deal. I did have to replace the power tubes after 3 months but that was not a surprise to me as tubes can pretty much go whenever. That aside, I have no major complaints about this amp.

The bedroom mode is a godsend as I have very small children at home who I do not want to wake when it's nap time. The tone sounds killer even at 0.5 watts. When in a band setting or live, it keeps up with a drummer very well. My drummer loves this amp when we play as he hears it clear as day and he's a heavy hitter. The amp takes pedals really well. The clarity of the FX loop is surprising and I wasn't sure what to expect. I do not have a huge pedal board but I run a delay, flanger, tremolo and reverb and they all sound awesome on this amp. The 10" is ballsy and has a lot of good bass. I've seen on some forums that people have their gripes about the amp not having a 12" speaker but in all fairness and having this amp for as long as I have the 10" has been broken in well now by this point and it's powerful and punchy af. I was skeptical at first but I was proven wrong.

The tones out of this amp are frickin' fantastic. My band does a lot of hard rock and I like a lot gain, and the dirty channel is nice and heavy. I throw a tube screamer in front to boost it now and again and it fattens it up nicely. The natural channel is sparkly until you get to about 1 o'clock where it starts to break up and get a little fizzy. I play a few different guitars and they all come out well on this amp.

Overall, I've enjoyed this amp so much I purchased it's bigger brother the Rocker 32. I have not had too much time to mess around with it yet but I will give my thoughts on the 32 at some point down the road.
Orange Rocker 15
Orange Rocker 32
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 108
2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic w/ Bigsby B5
2010 Gibson SG Faded
2018 Epiphone Goth Explorer
"I don't know where the artificial stops and the real starts." - Andy Warhol

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 am

mtabrown wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm
I have had my Rocker 15 since April of this year and here's what I have to say thus far:
Thanks for the detailed post. When I demoed the 15 at GC, months ago, I was underwhelmed. But I sold my TTHW and miss it terribly and have been thinking about giving the 15 another chance. Your post makes my decision much easier!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:00 am

One thing to seriously consider is the speaker not being broken in when trying them in shops.

I remember trying new AD30 and R30 in shops and not liking them much.

When I got some (because I buy stuff I haven't like, just because??????) later on I loved them.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

beppe

Post by beppe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 am

The Rocker 15 is without doubt the best amp I have ever owned and I have owned many! Superb cleans as well as dirty and a great transparent FX loop.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:00 am
One thing to seriously consider is the speaker not being broken in when trying them in shops.

I remember trying new AD30 and R30 in shops and not liking them much.

When I got some (because I buy stuff I haven't like, just because??????) later on I loved them.
Good point. My limited experience is amps always sound different when you get them home after demoing in GC. I don’t have a problem with 10” speakers, so that’s not an issue, but breaking in is an important point, so thanks for bringing that up; much appreciated!

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 am

beppe wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 am
The Rocker 15 is without doubt the best amp I have ever owned and I have owned many! Superb cleans as well as dirty and a great transparent FX loop.
Oh, man! Gassing hard for the 15 tonight! I will get one ‘real soon now.’