Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 15! Wow!

Post by Gordy G » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 am

Andy.
(Still alive and kicking! :D)

Well,Andy.We don't know one another from Adam :D ,but it's nice to see a post from you again,i had noticed a lack of posts from yourself.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am

a.hun wrote:Speaker size means nothing! I lost those prejudices way back. Have had massive guitar sounds from 10" drivers. (And sweet crisp ones from 15"ers too BTW.)

FWIW I've also gigged both my smallest bass combos (1x6" and 1x8" MicroMarks by Markbass) recently and had great bass sounds with either, just depending on room size. The 1x8" in particular normally needs the low end tamed by raising it off the floor some - seriously! Size can matter but really isn't everything! ;)

Do we know anything about these speakers yet? Orange spec Celestions hopefully?

Nah, my only real doubts would be about the EL84s. Like Jondog I think the two EL34s gave the original R.30 a special something. Not that I dislike EL84s at all, and end results are really more down to design than valve choice. Benefit of the doubt probably wise.

New Rockers though, eh? Neat! Huge fan of the old one. If I needed stereo for guitar that would be sooo tempting...

Andy.
Nice to see you!!!! I had been worried about your well being!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it. Hope they have kept the same preamp - if so, I'll be curious to see how it does with the EL84!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 pm

a.hun wrote:Speaker size means nothing! I lost those prejudices way back. Have had massive guitar sounds from 10" drivers. (And sweet crisp ones from 15"ers too BTW.)

FWIW I've also gigged both my smallest bass combos (1x6" and 1x8" MicroMarks by Markbass) recently and had great bass sounds with either, just depending on room size. The 1x8" in particular normally needs the low end tamed by raising it off the floor some - seriously! Size can matter but really isn't everything! ;)

Do we know anything about these speakers yet? Orange spec Celestions hopefully?

Nah, my only real doubts would be about the EL84s. Like Jondog I think the two EL34s gave the original R.30 a special something. Not that I dislike EL84s at all, and end results are really more down to design than valve choice. Benefit of the doubt probably wise.

New Rockers though, eh? Neat! Huge fan of the old one. If I needed stereo for guitar that would be sooo tempting...

Andy.
Hello! Good you hear from you.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 pm

As I mentioned before, I think 2x10's are great. It gives a tighter low end. I was planning on going back to a cab with 2x10's, but now I may wait to see how this sounds. I've been looking for a nice 2 speaker combo...

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Personally, I'm expecting nothing but the usual brilliance.

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I just saw the Facebook promo and popped in after a long while...you could say the cat got my tongue or, more accurately, you could say the bad cat stole my vox :lol:

Anyway, wanted to say the Rocker 32 looks very intriguing. I had a blast with my Rockerverb 50 Mk 1 head but in the end I think I'm a combo man hence my subsequent wander through the music stores and boutiques of the world. Ironically, I've been playing around with a two-combo stereo rig at least at home where the cable management isn't a setup/teardown nightmare.

But I've also confirmed that Class A is my cup of tea and I never had the chance to properly try a Rocker 30 (who knows, I might have saved a fortune and a lot of time and effort).

Although the 4x12 cab I had with my Rockerverb moved air like a turbofan, after I sold it on I have been using an AC30 (over an AC15) for gigs not necessarily for volume but because that two-speaker design pushes out a more 3-D sound.

There seems to be a groundswell of 10-inch speaker advocacy on various forums...I see where Quilter just issued a 'docking station' cabinet with 10s for their Power Blocks.

So...the Rocker 32 is Class A, EL84 chime, stereo, 10 in speakers, compact, has a clever loop setup, half-power switch....and is inducing long-dormant Orange GAS! AAAARRRRrrrrrghhhhhhh....... :mrgreen: :oops: :P

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 pm

jangle wrote:I just saw the Facebook promo and popped in after a long while...you could say the cat got my tongue or, more accurately, you could say the bad cat stole my vox :lol:

Anyway, wanted to say the Rocker 32 looks very intriguing. I had a blast with my Rockerverb 50 Mk 1 head but in the end I think I'm a combo man hence my subsequent wander through the music stores and boutiques of the world. Ironically, I've been playing around with a two-combo stereo rig at least at home where the cable management isn't a setup/teardown nightmare.

But I've also confirmed that Class A is my cup of tea and I never had the chance to properly try a Rocker 30 (who knows, I might have saved a fortune and a lot of time and effort).

Although the 4x12 cab I had with my Rockerverb moved air like a turbofan, after I sold it on I have been using an AC30 (over an AC15) for gigs not necessarily for volume but because that two-speaker design pushes out a more 3-D sound.

There seems to be a groundswell of 10-inch speaker advocacy on various forums...I see where Quilter just issued a 'docking station' cabinet with 10s for their Power Blocks.

So...the Rocker 32 is Class A, EL84 chime, stereo, 10 in speakers, compact, has a clever loop setup, half-power switch....and is inducing long-dormant Orange GAS! AAAARRRRrrrrrghhhhhhh....... :mrgreen: :oops: :P

Indeed..... The orange review looked extremely good I must say.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 am

I'm really excited about these new Rockers, and the clips sound great. I think going to 10" speakers is brilliant. They tend to have a nice punchy midrange, perfect for recording or standing out next to the guy rocking 12s. With all of the 12" speakers in the Orange range, we've been given another reason to buy another one. Plus the bedroom setting of the 15 or the true stereo capability of the 32. One day I will have one.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:29 pm

I have the money for either of these right now, but I just don't think they do it for me, I have the or50 and I'm at the point that it pretty much covers my orange needs. I'm going to save a little longer and get the new Mesa boogie TC-50, way more amp but it's also $800 mores
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 am

The only thing I would change is use a 6V6 power section. Like I said before I think the EL34 is a big part of the Rocker. I understand EL34 wouldn't work in this scenario, but a 6V6 section might get close. I used to run my Rockers preamp into a 15 watt 6V6 poweramp, and it sounded great.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:06 pm

for me the rocker 15 would be the perfect combo. small footprint, big sound, option of low volume, 2 channels, and if i wanted to hook up another cab easy as pie. and it sounds great from all the videos i've been looking at with loads of variation in tonal palette.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Jondog wrote:The only thing I would change is use a 6V6 power section. Like I said before I think the EL34 is a big part of the Rocker. I understand EL34 wouldn't work in this scenario, but a 6V6 section might get close. I used to run my Rockers preamp into a 15 watt 6V6 poweramp, and it sounded great.
Yeah, 6V6s would be cool, I agree. I love that rich tone of a cranked 6V6 combo. I can't really blame the company for sticking to EL84s, though. They already have the OTs for them, less effort needed to set up for manufacturing these amps vs. going with 6V6s. They still sound great, going by the clips.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:49 pm

henning finally released an in depth review on the rocker 15 like he did with the rocker 32. not as long as the review on the 32. good stuff anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhpCa0t3ns

i hope one of these amps is in my near future! :)

Orren

Post by Orren » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 am

I'd like to see a head version. :)

Orren
New novel: Skye Entity
http://emberafter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://orrenmerton.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

badfixben

Post by badfixben » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Tried a Rocker 15 at Guitar Center. They wouldn't deal on price so I ordered one elsewhere. Exactly the amp I've been looking for, for grab & go rehearsals & home practice.

I had an Ad30 back in the day, and played a friend's Ad15 quite a bit. Tiny terror was too fizzy and single tone knob too inflexible for me.

The Rocker 15 is a little darker and more open than all of the above. Maybe a tiny bit boxy with the 10" and small cab but overall very impressive and doesn't over emphasize that EL84 skinny sound like a lot of EL84 amps.