Fuzz strategy

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Re: Fuzz strategy

Post by FleshOnGear » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:29 pm

Wendigo wrote:I guess it depends what level of fuzz your talking about. I like my fuzz to completely and utterly mangle and squash my sound, like a super spongey howl, so I think it works better like that with the amp already breaking up ie. gain channel. If you're going for a small amount of fuzz, like maybe "whole lotta love" rhythm type, then maybe the clean channel with minimal fuzz is what you're after. I think most oranges don't seem to like gain pedals that much. They have a very soft edge to the sound when compared to a marshall, and even more so when compared to ice-pick fender clean.
I don't really want nuclear meltdown fuzz, but I like a decent amount of drive. Like I said, I can tailor the Sub Machine to work very well with the dirty channel. My experience with fuzzes into the OR100 clean channel seems different than what you describe, though. It sounds too hi-fi to me, almost like plugging straight into a PA, not soft. Like I said above, my initial experience with this pedal was playing it through a Deluxe Reverb, and it sounded perfect - no ice-pick, just a nice juicy fuzz. When I tried it through the clean on my OR, I did have the tone knob down, and it wasn't enough.

Maybe I need to turn down the treble and bass on the amp. I already have both knobs well below noon, but maybe I have to go even lower. If I'm going to get back into pedals again, I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for pedals with really effective tone controls that let me cut a lot of highs and lows, or boost the mids. For now the MXR goes into the dirty channel.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:24 pm

So, I've kind discovered that the Orange clean channel tone controls work almost like Vox top boost tone controls, and maybe work best turned almost all the way down! I got a much more usable sound with the fuzz this way. Still preferring the tone into the dirty channel, but only by a hair.

I'm thinking that I want to get an amplike overdrive, running it just at the edge of clipping, keeping it always on to even out the response between the clean and dirty. The clean channel is SOOO clean, and my drummer just doesn't hit hard enough for me to push it into distortion, even at 30 watts. Maybe a discussion for a different thread...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:23 pm

haven't found a fuzz particularly that I like with my rocker 30 or th30 - but have found OD pedals to work well (especially marshall guv'nor!) this is of course personal preference.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 pm

[quote Wendigo,firstly,my apologies for going completely off topic,but could i ask,if that's a Li"ll 59 in your Strat?,if so how do you feel it works as a Bridge pick up in a Strat?
I'm thinking about putting one in my Squire CVC,i like the idea,but never had the chance to use/hear one.
Once again apologies to the OP,for going really off topic.[/quote]

Hey man, yes it is a little 59. DO IT NOW and never look back. :lol: Seriously that thing is the best imaginable small format humbucker. It honestly sounds better than most of the full sized ones I've tried. Just really articulate and powerful. Great separation of strings, warm, transparent, you name it.[/quote]

+1 on little '59
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:49 pm

onetracker wrote:haven't found a fuzz particularly that I like with my rocker 30 or th30 - but have found OD pedals to work well (especially marshall guv'nor!) this is of course personal preference.
The Guv'nor is a classic! One of the earlier attempts at an "amp in a box," and a good one, IMO. It has full tone controls, and they might help dial in a nice warm tone when you use it with such a crisp clean like in modern Orange amps. It wouldn't be my first choice for my application, because I think it sounds better with the gain up than set at the edge of clipping. It uses LED clipping, which I think sounds fat and rich when driven hard, but adds a staticky sounding decay when the clipping trails off.

Been thinking about an American style Wampler, Catalinbread, or maybe the Supro Drive to thicken up the clean channel, and running fuzzes into that first.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Stew-Mac has these kits:
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... l_Kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking about building one....

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm

I've got a Wampler Velvet Fuzz and an Analogman Sun Face that both seem to work very well. It's been mentioned, but your guitar volume knob is your friend.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:54 pm

bclaire wrote:Stew-Mac has these kits:
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... l_Kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should. But be warned it's pretty addictive !!!! :mrgreen:

I started innocently enough with a SHO clone....
And have since built a reverb, a woolly mammoth clone for my niece, a red lama clone, a BMP clone (cross between ram's head and pharaoh), a fuzz factory....

Ive fixed a friend vintage carlsbro wah, changed the pot in my Dunlop wah, have fixed my 2 AD15 (same fault), and keep thinking about building an AD5 clone.

And an overdrive.... Perhaps a tube screamer too.....

Honestly, it's addictive.... In a very good way!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 am

bclaire wrote:Stew-Mac has these kits:

That looks really cool. I love the idea of a Fuzzrite with fuller lows. I still have a Tonebender MkIII kit that I need to build. Truly, I'm a big fan of all kinds of fuzz. Each circuit type has its own personality, and there's so much to love about them all.

Gotta build the Tonebender, because I love that smooth, fluid Mick Ronson tone. Would love to get another Fuzz Face style pedal, because I love their dynamics and the way they clean up with your guitar volume. Need to have a Jordan Bosstone clone for that thick crunch and that cool random sub-harmonic. I love the pinched synth tones of the Shin-Ei Companion. The snarl of the Univox Super Fuzz. The list continues...

I just want to be sure I'm getting the best reproduction of my drive pedals through the amp.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V