Need to pull the trigger. TH30 or TSA30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

zavulon

Need to pull the trigger. TH30 or TSA30?

Post by zavulon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi guys
Im letting my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue go. Im not playing with a band atm, and that amplifier is huge for my needs having no wattage selector. I play home mostly. (r&B, rock, nothing high gain)

I have 2 bids for my amp. One including a TH30 and one including a TSA30.

The difference between these 2 bids: With the TSA i got 3 times cash as i get for the th30

Pros for TSA:
More money
Its almost new
I could resell it without losing a lot of money

Cons:
Dont like ibanez
I had never bought this amp without being part of a deal
It has no attenuator so 30w is still very loud for home use
i couldnt care less for the add Tube screamer circuit. (using this feature to sell an amplifier its a nonse as if you really like TS sound, you just can get a pedal)
I dont know if i'll be able to buy the th30 later, having budget for gear being married is not very easy.

Pros for TH30
I really like this amp. Had a DT and loved it.
Attenuator to 7.5 15 and 30w
its in a very good shape too

Cons for th30
Less money
i have no cabinet so i need to buy one.
no reverb (not much of a con really)

I have no bids for the total asking price of the Fender so there are no more options to consider.
I need to decide what to do.

I appreciate your help

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Need to pull the trigger. TH30 or TSA30?

Post by afjungemann » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 pm

I was really impressed by the TSA30. Seemed much more classic rock than the TH30. I have the TH30 and love it but I like more modern gain. The clean on the TH30 is unbeatable in my experience.

Have you played either amp much?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:01 pm

I've heard not great things regarding the reliability of the TSA line. Not to mention I had one on order for over 6 months and ended up cancelling it as Ibanez had stopped making them for a while. Glad I did though, as I got something I'm much happier with.

I would say for for the TH30. Orange forum right :D. The TH30 is said to have amazing cleans, and if you ever do venture into higher gain territory, or want to play a blistering lead part, the TH30 will have gain to spare. Why not just get another DT? Seems to have exactly what you are looking for.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:06 pm

You've come to the right forum for the answer to your question.

TH30 of course.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:06 am

So, the TH30 is actually more money when you factor in the need for a cabinet. But it sounds like you don't even like the TSA, so why entertain the idea of buying it?

Do you plan on starting a band? If not anytime soon, I would argue that neither amp is right for home use. If you're planning on starting things up, are you on the Ibanez forums or just here? Do they even have Ibanez forums? I think you have your answer if you need a 30W amp in the near future.

For home use, i'd get something small and digital.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 am

TH30 if you can swing it. Doesn't sound like you want the TSA other than the price difference.

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 am

I went through the same decision process and ended up with the TH30. My biggest concern with the TSA30 was the reliability issues reported in the interwebs.

It really depends on how you're going to use it. I have heard that the TSA takes pedals really well, so it may be a better platform for you (if you rely a lot on your pedalboard). Both should have ample volume if you do decide to gig with a band again.

God made man... everything else is made in China!

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:29 pm

answer = th30

i have played the TSA at a local dealer and was 'umm ok"..nice but nothing special

I have had the TH30 and would pick one up again in a heartbeat if i had room and cash.. the cleans are just simply excellent, it has a loop, and the gain channel, while being compressed, does cover everything from crunch to too much.. and also, with an eq pedal in the loop you can cover any type of response you want.. its just a great amp.

I would not worry too much about the wattage switching.. it affects the tone & feel of the amp more it does the volume, so even at home i never moved it from the 30W setting.

For at home use this is still a fine amp as the gain from the dirty channel is predominantly pre-amp based, or you are using the clean channel.. so 30W is not an issue of being too much, and the extra beef in the power supply helps control bass transients better imo.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 am

When you're looking for a TSA amp you have to go for the TSA15. That's the real deal. I preferred it a lot over the TSA30. Sweet 6V6 sound like the Fender BF models and takes pedals very well. I own a DT and a TSA15, both are very good amps.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

SixStrings9Lives

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:23 pm

I have used a TH30 for a little over a year myself. Honestly, it lives up to the good things mentioned here so far. My band plays classic rock and heavier stuff, and it has never let me down. I gig my stuff and rely on it to perform - If it doesn't cut it, it goes away and replaced immediately. So far the Orange has sent my old Mesa Rectoverb, Supro Black Magick, and 6505+ to the land of misfit toys. Only other amp that I will keep besides the TH30 is a RV100 Mk I...