Boss Katana 100 review (Sorry for the non-Orange content!)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Boss Katana 100 review (Sorry for the non-Orange content!)

Post by jesperbc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:01 pm

I just bought a Boss Katana 100 last week, when I had to return my faulty Blackstar HT-5R and the store didn't have anymore in stock.

It's a 100 watt, 1x12" solid state combo with digital effects. What I just wrote would normally have my former self running away screaming, but boy, let me tell you, this amp sounds amazing. The pricepoint only helps solidify that statement. It retails around £260 and it is chock-full of features.

Five "channels"; acoustic, clean, crunch, lead and brown. We all know what these are. Volume and gain, a three band EQ, presence (only on the 100w version) and a master volume. Add to that a power scaling/standby knob. This works just as you'd expect. On standby you can use the amp with headphones.

The built in FX are kinda cool, too. You have three banks. Each bank is represented with an FX knob and a button. The button lets you select between three banks, and the knob lets you set the intensity of two different FX per banks. It makes no sense describing it like that, but here goes. On FX slot 1 you can select between green, red and yellow. On the green preset, bank 1, you have two effects. From 0-5 on the knob you adjust effect 1. When you dial it in a 12 o'clock it shuts off. Dial it further, from 5-10 another effect engages. You adjust the intensity of the effect with the knob. Like bank 1, green preset is overdrive from 0-5 and chorus from 5-10. It really works quite intuitively, but you can only have one effect active per bank. Go try it out - it's easy enough to grasp. And the effects sound GREAT! Using the Boss Tone Studio software you can access 55 effects in all, and they are varied and allows for very deep editing. There's everything from overdrives, distortions and fuzzes to delay, chorus, flanger, reverb, and even slicers, nice-sounding rotary effects, etc. These effects really sound MUCH better than what I've encountered in my former Line6 POD HD500X and M5. I am geniunely amazed at how good these sound.

On the Katana 100 you can store 4 presets to the amp, which are then controllable by footswitch, eg. the Roland GA-FC controller. Each bank can be accessed, and more. I haven't gotten the foot controller. Yet. There's even the possibilty of a footswitchable boost.

Just today, I tried it with my pedalboard. It has a Dunlop GCB95F wah, a Nano Big Muff, a BB Preamp clone, and OCD clone, a Line6 M5 and a Flashback X4 delay. My board actually sounded very good through the amp. Minor EQ adjustments had to be made, but the clean channel is genuinely a very decent clean platform. My Big Muff sounded very much like a Big Muff. It also has an FX loop for doing the more advanced pedal chain order.

So far I've only tested the amp on the 0.5 watt setting, as the 50w and 100w modes are super loud. I've tried them very shortly at home and all three settings sound very full, only with increasing levels of volume.

I would write that I'm at a loss for words, but the wall of text above says otherwise, so let me just say this: This amp is a Line6 killer. Maybe even an Orange Crush killer. It's that good. Of course, it's not meant to compete with Line 6 Helix, Kemper or Axe-FX, but at this pricepoint, what your getting is beyond amazing value for money, and the amp is even better built that the Blackstar HT-5R. The Blackstar had a faulty transformer, so it was ringing all the time and the tolex started coming lose - I had less that a month, only kept it at home, in my living room.

Sorry for the sales pitch, but I think you guys need to check out the Katana series, even though we're probably all Orange die-hards here. Not to worry, it hasn't made me reconsider my Rocker 30, and it hasn't swayed away from desperately wanting a Rockerverb 100 Mk. III. :)

Cheers.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Boss Katana 100 review (Sorry for the non-Orange content

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 pm

To be honest, from all the reviews I read, solid state stuff has improved tremendously in the last few years.

I suppose I should give some a try to see for myself.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:To be honest, from all the reviews I read, solid state stuff has improved tremendously in the last few years.

I suppose I should give some a try to see for myself.
Yes, but only in the last few years. In my opinion, the previous Crush series - the one that included the 35LDX was kinda crap. I had one. Hated it after a short while. There's no telling if it will be the same with the Katana, but the Katana already has me playing more at home than the Crush 35LDX did.

The digital stuff seems top have plateaued as well. Axe-FX and Kemper are currently just releasing new firmware versions, while Line6 is edging in on their hardware specs with the Helix.

The newer solid state stuff from companies from Orange and especially Quilter Labs have gotten rave reviews. I don't know how to classify the Yamaha THR series, but it seems to be of the COSM nature, even though that's a Roland/Boss patent or something. Roland/Boss have been turning heads with the newer Blues Cube, Waza amp and Katana series, that's for sure.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 am

I would love to try one. Where I am, fat chance that any store will stock them. That's unfortunate, too, because I am entirely skeptical of Boss overdrives, distortions and amp models. To me, their top-tier modelers have always sounded dry, compressed and slightly muted - no touch sensitivity. The one demo I have seen of the Katana sounded this way to me. I think their analog drive pedals usually sound fizzy or raspy.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope that I'm wrong, and I hope that I get the opportunity to be proven wrong. Also, pics and maybe even clips would be most welcomed! :D
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:I would love to try one. Where I am, fat chance that any store will stock them. That's unfortunate, too, because I am entirely skeptical of Boss overdrives, distortions and amp models. To me, their top-tier modelers have always sounded dry, compressed and slightly muted - no touch sensitivity. The one demo I have seen of the Katana sounded this way to me. I think their analog drive pedals usually sound fizzy or raspy.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope that I'm wrong, and I hope that I get the opportunity to be proven wrong. Also, pics and maybe even clips would be most welcomed! :D
Any store near you that doesn't stock this amp will be saying to bags of money. In my area, these are going like hot-buttered bread, og however that saying is. They pop up everywhere. People are upgrading from the 50 to the 100.

In my short experience with the amp I've found it to have both sustain and be moderately touch sensitive - I tried it with a high gain setting, but it reacted noticably to picking lighter and lowering the volume on the guitar.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:21 pm

I really appreciate your point of view on this. It's good to know that there are markets where innovative products can get a foothold. Unfortunately, I don't live in one of those markets. As far as I can tell, here in the US you have to live near a place like New York, LA, Nashville, Austin to get exposed to new products, initially. If the product takes off like wildfire, then small town musicians will get to see it in the nearest Guitar Center, but only if it's affordable and sells briskly.

The chain stores in small towns stock the shelves mainly with high-margin items that are guaranteed to fly off the shelves. They only stock just enough of the fancy stuff to maintain some credibility with more experienced musicians. It's really frustrating.

Sorry to get off topic. I really want to try a Katana.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:31 pm

jesperbc wrote:
FleshOnGear wrote:I would love to try one. Where I am, fat chance that any store will stock them. That's unfortunate, too, because I am entirely skeptical of Boss overdrives, distortions and amp models. To me, their top-tier modelers have always sounded dry, compressed and slightly muted - no touch sensitivity. The one demo I have seen of the Katana sounded this way to me. I think their analog drive pedals usually sound fizzy or raspy.

Any store near you that doesn't stock this amp will be saying to bags of money. In my area, these are going like hot-buttered bread, og however that saying is. They pop up everywhere. People are upgrading from the 50 to the 100.

In my short experience with the amp I've found it to have both sustain and be moderately touch sensitive - I tried it with a high gain setting, but it reacted noticably to picking lighter and lowering the volume on the guitar.
Going like hot cakes!

I was just reading about these amps and was very intrigued, I'm glad its working out for you. Photos and sound clips would be nice if you have any.
Thunderverb 50