Switching between clean/distortion for the Micro Dark?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

flashce

Switching between clean/distortion for the Micro Dark?

Post by flashce » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:40 am

I'm interested in the Micro Dark but it seems like it only has a single channel. Is it basically not meant for anyone who is interested in switching between clean and distorted tones?

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Switching between clean/distortion for the Micro Dark?

Post by Bensnake » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi and welcome! :) Yeah, you're right. The MD is a single channel amp. Of course you could use a boost/overdrive/distortion pedal out front though I have no idea about the clean headroom of the amp. Maybe there isn't much of a clean tone to begin with.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:40 pm

Use the volume knob on your guitar. You set the amp for overdrive, and when you want clean, you roll the volume knob down. Alternatively, you can do the same thing with a volume pedal.

See this video for a good demonstration of all the tones you can get just by playing with the knobs on the guitar. The same holds true for Fender guitars as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:54 am

Bonamassa's video is helpful, but it's not a Micro Dark that he uses there. I have a MIcro Dark and by nearly maxing its volume knob and turning the gain knob below 9 o'clock will give a decent clean tone. Adjust those two knobs to your usual guitar volume knob settings and it will guide you to your own clean tone. The other method I employ with my Les Paul is to set the MD gain knob between 11 and 1 o'clock and amp volume accordingly (usually around 8'to 9 o'clock will ride the line between some chime-grind and clean tones.

Dawson's gives a decent sample of the MD's clean tone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6HZMbaGdOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adkguy07

flashce

Post by flashce » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:58 am

My concern is more so around switching from clean to distorted tone. Without two channels I basically can't do this well can I? The Blackstar HT5 has two channels, one which I can dial clean and the other distorted so I can switch between them mid song.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:02 am

If you need a dedicated clean and a dedicated distortion channel, the Micro Dark is the wrong amp.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 am

flashce wrote:My concern is more so around switching from clean to distorted tone. Without two channels I basically can't do this well can I? The Blackstar HT5 has two channels, one which I can dial clean and the other distorted so I can switch between them mid song.
That's exactly what we're showing you. See the video I posted, and look at what happens at 4:38 in the video adkguy07 posted.

Back before channel switching amps, this is how people switched between clean and distortion. Most people who use the volume knob believe that it's superior to channel switching because it gives you an entire RANGE of amounts of gain, as opposed to just having, say 2 from a "clean channel" and "distortion channel". And that adjustment is right at your finger tips, to be adjusted in a fraction of a second any time you want, no matter where you're standing on stage.

I use my volume knob to go from clean to overdrive with every amp I own. I use it so much and actuate the volume knob so quickly at this point, that the finish is wearing off my guitar around the volume knob from so much use.

You'll also find that using the volume knob yields a much more natural response in terms of the volume mix between clean and overdrive. This is an old school method and it's a technique that every guitar player should have up their sleeve. As I mentioned before, you can also do this with a volume pedal if you really really like using your feet instead. It works the same way.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

flashce

Post by flashce » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:19 am

fiveightandten wrote:
flashce wrote:My concern is more so around switching from clean to distorted tone. Without two channels I basically can't do this well can I? The Blackstar HT5 has two channels, one which I can dial clean and the other distorted so I can switch between them mid song.
That's exactly what we're showing you. See the video I posted, and look at what happens at 4:38 in the video adkguy07 posted.

Back before channel switching amps, this is how people switched between clean and distortion. Most people who use the volume knob believe that it's superior to channel switching because it gives you an entire RANGE of amounts of gain, as opposed to just having, say 2 from a "clean channel" and "distortion channel". And that adjustment is right at your finger tips, to be adjusted in a fraction of a second any time you want, no matter where you're standing on stage.

I use my volume knob to go from clean to overdrive with every amp I own. I use it so much and actuate the volume knob so quickly at this point, that the finish is wearing off my guitar around the volume knob from so much use.

You'll also find that using the volume knob yields a much more natural response in terms of the volume mix between clean and overdrive. This is an old school method and it's a technique that every guitar player should have up their sleeve. As I mentioned before, you can also do this with a volume pedal if you really really like using your feet instead. It works the same way.

-Nick
The cleans sound pretty OD'd to be honest. I doubt rolling down the volume knob would sound good for clean arpeggios? Perhaps I could pair the amp up with an OD pedal for a distorted tone, and turn off the OD pedal and roll down the volume knob for the clean tone.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:27 am

flashce wrote: The cleans sound pretty OD'd to be honest. I doubt rolling down the volume knob would sound good for clean arpeggios? Perhaps I could pair the amp up with an OD pedal for a distorted tone, and turn off the OD pedal and roll down the volume knob for the clean tone.
It's all related to how much you roll the knob down, and how much gain is dialed in. Roll the knob down more and it will clean up more. Sure, you can do it with a pedal as well. If you want the overdriven sound of the amp, you want to stick with using the knob or a volume pedal. If you don't mind using the sound of a pedal blended with the amp, you can definitely do it that way too.

If you're looking for squeaky clean sounds with absolutely no harmonic distortion, you'll definitely want a different amp though. I will say that hybrid/solid state amps aren't really the best at cleaning up with the volume knob, but I practice with something similar at home and I do it all the time. It's not as responsive as a real cranked up tube amp, but it's totally doable.

You might consider a clean boost like the MXR Micro amp, Seymour Duncan pickup booster, or Zvex SHO. Otherwise a pedal with onboard gain will work to add some of its own color to the sound.

-Nick

flashce

Post by flashce » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:38 am

fiveightandten wrote:
flashce wrote: The cleans sound pretty OD'd to be honest. I doubt rolling down the volume knob would sound good for clean arpeggios? Perhaps I could pair the amp up with an OD pedal for a distorted tone, and turn off the OD pedal and roll down the volume knob for the clean tone.
It's all related to how much you roll the knob down, and how much gain is dialed in. Roll the knob down more and it will clean up more. Sure, you can do it with a pedal as well. If you want the overdriven sound of the amp, you want to stick with using the knob or a volume pedal. If you don't mind using the sound of a pedal blended with the amp, you can definitely do it that way too.

If you're looking for squeaky clean sounds with absolutely no harmonic distortion, you'll definitely want a different amp though. I will say that hybrid/solid state amps aren't really the best at cleaning up with the volume knob, but I practice with something similar at home and I do it all the time. It's not as responsive as a real cranked up tube amp, but it's totally doable.

You might consider a clean boost like the MXR Micro amp, Seymour Duncan pickup booster, or Zvex SHO. Otherwise a pedal with onboard gain will work to add some of its own color to the sound.

-Nick
I might really have to walk in store to try it out

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:20 am

flashce wrote: I might really have to walk in store to try it out
Sure, that sounds like a good idea. There's definitely a learning curve to using the volume knob, but I don't think I know of a single guitar player that got it down and went back to channel switching. To use a pedal to push the amp so you can switch back and forth, you just have to find a pedal that pairs well with it.

-Nick

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:06 pm

flashce,

You might want to try amps out at a local store that are single channel such as the Micro Dark.
Try out too,while you're shopping, the multi-channel amps, and see what you are most comfortable with.

What 5810 states makes good sense. Every guitar player should learn to control their tone with guitar volume and tone controls. It might take a bit of effort and a there is a "learning curve" associated with it, but well worth the times spent. The reason I chose the Micro Dark, which I've owned for about a year, is Orange's reputation for tone, the MD's simplicity, cost to operate, effects loop, and power rating.....quiet enough for home use and loud enough for gigs too. I knew that it only had one channel and Dawson's video (along with other videos) proved to me that my decision was a wise one.

Since my original purchase, I've added a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal (for the loop) and to the original PPC108 cab, the PPC112 cab with a Celection V30 inside. It's a pretty simple setup, but allows going from Jazz cleans for chording and single-line playing to any Rock sound that you've heard on the MD videos. There is a bit of solid-state that I've detected every now and then, but as long as there is "note bloom" and chime; it has both by the way, I did make the right decision for myself.

adkguy07

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 pm

fiveightandten wrote: I don't think I know of a single guitar player that got it down and went back to channel switching...
Well, I'm about to destroy your dichotomy I guess. I've got down the volume knob thing, and I still rely on channel switching, too. Totally depends on the context. I use and enjoy both methods of going from clean to dirty. Just depends on what I'm trying to do and what sounds I'm trying to get. If I'm trying to go from crystal clean to breaking up/hot and bothered...I'll volume knob it. If I'm trying to go from any sort of clean to huge Orange distortion, you better believe I'm switching that channel. It's just my preference...if I'm looking for a more detailed variance, I'll use the knob. If I'm trying to switch colors completely, I like simply stepping on a button to make that happen.

Do whatever you feel more comfortable with and like more, flashce.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

flashce

Post by flashce » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:27 pm

adkguy07 wrote:flashce,

You might want to try amps out at a local store that are single channel such as the Micro Dark.
Try out too,while you're shopping, the multi-channel amps, and see what you are most comfortable with.

What 5810 states makes good sense. Every guitar player should learn to control their tone with guitar volume and tone controls. It might take a bit of effort and a there is a "learning curve" associated with it, but well worth the times spent. The reason I chose the Micro Dark, which I've owned for about a year, is Orange's reputation for tone, the MD's simplicity, cost to operate, effects loop, and power rating.....quiet enough for home use and loud enough for gigs too. I knew that it only had one channel and Dawson's video (along with other videos) proved to me that my decision was a wise one.

Since my original purchase, I've added a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal (for the loop) and to the original PPC108 cab, the PPC112 cab with a Celection V30 inside. It's a pretty simple setup, but allows going from Jazz cleans for chording and single-line playing to any Rock sound that you've heard on the MD videos. There is a bit of solid-state that I've detected every now and then, but as long as there is "note bloom" and chime; it has both by the way, I did make the right decision for myself.

adkguy07
It simply isn't viable to turn down the volume knob while the amp is at a high gain setting and expect to have crystal clear cleans though.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:47 pm

With a good amp and a guitar with decent pickups, it's totally viable.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com