TH30 users - what pedals work for you

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

TH30 users - what pedals work for you

Post by mj6thbuif » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi. New TH30 owner here. Just wondering what pedals have you found work best with the TH30. Curious mostly about OD/boosts into either channels or distortion/AIAB into the clean channel. I love both channels on this thing but was just hoping to add different textures. Be curious too what doesn’t work. I read in another post that the Wampler Sovereign did not work so well with their rockerverb 50. My research has shown nothing but praises otherwise.

asromeburns

Re: TH30 users - what pedals work for you

Post by asromeburns » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:10 am

I have a TH30 re-tubed with JJs. The clean channel is a phenomenal pedal platform in my opinion but it is picky.

Do buy

OCD Fulltone - great transparent OD which is vital on the mid-heavy Orange amps - works great to break up the clean channel for blues tones as well as adding a crunchy tighter low end to the dirty channel if needed for high gain stuff

Pharaoh Fuzz - my Big Muff unfortunately just sounded flabby but this chap is just as huge and provides so many options for fuzzed out tones and the TH30 took to it like a stoned pig in desert pile of poop.

Boss GE7 - I love the shape control but one of these in your loop is a must if you want to expand the eq on tap on this amp. After revalving the fizziness of the dirty channel fricked off for me but before I made that change this pedal solved any issues.

Avalanche Run / Dispatch Master / Memory Boy - the effects loop is lush on the TH30 and these three work perfectly for me.

Do Not Buy

Any tubescreamer/clone - the mid-hump in these pedals doesn't suit the mid push on Orange amps and just sound too barky.

Big Muff - muddy flabby mess in my experience which is a shame as this pedal is obviously the pile of poop! Just doesn't suit the TH30

Hope this helps.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:44 am

I haven't had any trouble with clean boosts or fuzz pedals. As noted above, tubescreamer types can be too much for the overdrive channel, but seem to work fine in the clean channel.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:44 pm

a really good eq.. mxr 10 band, or empress paraEQ, or orange two stroke..
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:32 am

Just recently got a TH30 head. Fortunately all my dirt pedals work in the clean channel very well. These are:
- Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet (using the flat mids toggle selection)
- Truetone J&H (eq to taste)
- TC Mini Spark

I reckon that with some tweaking, the TH30 clean channel should be a good platform.

God made man... everything else is made in China!

Slidey

Post by Slidey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:25 pm

I've found that my Boss SD1 works well for tightening up the bass a bit on the Drive channel, gives a bit more of an upper-mid bite if I set the output to full and the drive barely on. I do like a mid heavy sound though so YMMV.

I've also got a Soul Food for mild-ish OD on the clean channel which works well, but I am wanting to try an OCD for that and see how it goes.

Other than that a GE-7 works really well in the loop for fine tuning, and you could probably get any number of modulation/delays/verbs and they'd all probably sound awesome :)

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:11 pm

asromeburns wrote: OCD Fulltone - great transparent OD which is vital on the mid-heavy Orange amps - works great to break up the clean channel for blues tones as well as adding a crunchy tighter low end to the dirty channel if needed for high gain stuff
Does the OCD work well into TH30 when the amp is already overdriven, say with amp gain at 1:30? I am looking at this pedal to maybe take my tone from ACDC to Metallica while maintaining unity.

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Sootio wrote:I haven't had any trouble with clean boosts or fuzz pedals. As noted above, tubescreamer types can be too much for the overdrive channel, but seem to work fine in the clean channel.
What clean boost have you found works best on the TH30 dirty channel?

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:39 pm

mj6thbuif wrote:
Sootio wrote:I haven't had any trouble with clean boosts or fuzz pedals. As noted above, tubescreamer types can be too much for the overdrive channel, but seem to work fine in the clean channel.
What clean boost have you found works best on the TH30 dirty channel?

I use an Archer and a Euphoria, and both work really well.

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:48 am

johnnyblues wrote:Just recently got a TH30 head. Fortunately all my dirt pedals work in the clean channel very well. These are:
- TC Mini Spark

I reckon that with some tweaking, the TH30 clean channel should be a good platform.
Do you use any of those on the dirty channel?

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:56 am

mj6thbuif wrote:
johnnyblues wrote:Just recently got a TH30 head. Fortunately all my dirt pedals work in the clean channel very well. These are:
- TC Mini Spark

Do you use any of those on the dirty channel?
Yes, I do.

FD2 = mostly the 1st channel only; rarely in the dirty channel. Using the flat mids toggle selection.
J&H = low gain channel as well. Almost never used in the dirty channel.
TC = almost always used in both channels. Setup'ed in the effects loop. It's an awesome pedal. Really lets the dirty channel breathe.

Hope this helps.

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 am

Forgot to tell you that I also use an EQ in the efx loop. That plus the booster really opens up the amp. :mrgreen:

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm

The TC mini Spark add some top end sheen to the signal so is a great boost, either in the loop, or in front of the amp.. I have also used it for level matching when i change guitars so that i dont have to adjust gain, or pedals.

The TC Spark full size version is significantly more flexible ..three modes, fat, flat, or mid hump (ts style) plus gain, volume and bass and treble.. have used as a standalone OD, as a mild OD/boost in front of the dirty channel (mid boost), also to fatten up a strat SC (fat mode) and as a level boost for lead (in fx loop, flat with bass down and treble up).. very worthy of a look, and so many different uses.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:08 pm

If the TH30 is anything like the TH100, then I'll just chime in... I had the TH100.

I've used several different Big Muffs, a Pharaoh Fuzz, a MXR Sub Machine, T-Rex Møller and Muchoney II, BB Preamp clone and OCD clone - all on the clean channel, and I think they all sounded great. The clean channel is a wonderful pedal platform. Honestly, it needs something to liven it up a little, so an OD set for light OD/sparkle works magic. I used the T-Rex Møller with mine, as an always on light OD. 'Twas wonderful.

H.A.T.E.D. the dirty channel, so it was pedals galore for me.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.