Are SG officially better than politics?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

blaamann

Re: Still recovering from the US election results ?

Post by blaamann » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 pm

For me I think it is sad that the biggest bloc was the non-voters (or the Couchsitters party). Approx. 48% non-voters, 25% voted for Hillary and a few 200 000 less voted for Trump (also around 25%). So we get a new commander in chief that 25% voted for. Look at 100 people and think that it takes only 25 of them to decide the president. That is a pretty crappy democracy.

I am not a fan of Trump, but come on, he is orange!
Location: Norway - Gear: Orange TH30 Head, Jim Root #4 Head, JCM 800 2204, Fender Stratocasters, Greco Mirage/Ibanez Iceman 1978, Edwards 130ALS

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

blaamann wrote:For me I think it is sad that the biggest bloc was the non-voters (or the Couchsitters party). Approx. 48% non-voters, 25% voted for Hillary and a few 200 000 less voted for Trump (also around 25%). So we get a new commander in chief that 25% voted for. Look at 100 people and think that it takes only 25 of them to decide the president. That is a pretty crappy democracy.
We don't have a democracy. We have a republic. But your point is well taken...apathy might be the worst evil. Damn tempting though!
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Phlowen wrote:Guy from US here...yeah...it's been a weird week. Kinda feels like the first day you go back to work after puking your guts out from the flu...you're not 100%, but you can't afford to take anymore sick time and everything feels like you're in a fever dream...it's like that.
I know some will be extatic, some will be gutted. It's been a divisive election for sure, which ever side was gonna win.

Funny thing, there was only one winner....... Abstentionism.

Really weird how 47% or so of registered voters didn't vote at all.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 pm

blaamann wrote:For me I think it is sad that the biggest bloc was the non-voters (or the Couchsitters party). Approx. 48% non-voters, 25% voted for Hillary and a few 200 000 less voted for Trump (also around 25%). So we get a new commander in chief that 25% voted for. Look at 100 people and think that it takes only 25 of them to decide the president. That is a pretty crappy democracy.

I am not a fan of Trump, but come on, he is orange!

I see my point was already made. :)

Something similar happened 8n the UK, with both Cameron and Blair a while back, they were elected on the back of parliamentary vote, and got less than the greatest number of votes if I recall it properly.

I like the French system for elections - 1St round only select the 2 top vote counts, and these 2 fight it out in a majority count vote at the 2nd round. Seems fairer to me, but it doesn't mean the elected president is any better!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Jondog wrote:Shhhhh. Forum rules.
"Politics and religion are topics that belong on other forums."
Yes sure .......let's talk about what les Paul lover is interested in ....a pre Trump era SG !
thejay wrote:Looks like no one from the US chimed in... regardless it will be interesting as always. The same uproar happens all the time when elections take place it's really no different. it's media pouring gas on a fire helping to fuel the negative.

Anyway... what SG you thinking about? :D
Back on topic...

As Ronnie spotted it, it's a pre Trump era gibson sg special, before they did them faded. So full gloss nitro, defo not mint, and possibly upgraded with bareknuckle pick ups. The price is very much on the ok side, so I'm happy to accept a few marks.

If it all goes well, I'll have it tomorrow night !!!
Ant

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:09 pm

I had a faded SG special a long while ago, all stock, It worked well. :) def preferred the custom I had years after that but more related to the stock 490 pickups.

Politics are interesting but i will leave it at that...
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:37 pm

thejay wrote:I had a faded SG special a long while ago, all stock, It worked well. :) def preferred the custom I had years after that but more related to the stock 490 pickups.

I'm hoping the one I'm planning to get will be good. It's a 1999 by the serial number.

I had an explorer a while back with bareknuckle pick ups and was very impressed with the tones, so I'm hoping those bareknuckles will be similarly impressive!
Ant

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Always wanted to try those pickups but haven't had a chance at this point. Curious what you think
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I feel like SG's should be the new code-speak for anything on politics.
blaamann wrote:I am not a fan of Trump, but come on, he is orange!
I was waiting for someone to say that!
pre-trump era
:lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks for keeping it civil guys!

Yeah, no talking politics... but it's been a weird couple of days.

I do think that "SG" should be our safe word for getting out of stuff - no wait - BEER has been our traditional code word!

Anyway, I have a pretty cool '68 SG Jr. that was sort of a mess when I got it: no pickup or pickguard, tuners were junk, etc. I cut a pickguard for it, installed a clipped P-100 pickup (making it a hot P-90), a Wilkinson bridge like the PRS style, and new tuners and cleaned up generally. Really great sounding guitar... in the studio, the engineer commented 'there's nothing like the sound of those old P-90's...' I almost hated having to tell him that it was a modern clipped P-100!

BEER! SG! BEER!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 am

bclaire wrote:Thanks for keeping it civil guys!

Yeah, no talking politics... but it's been a weird couple of days.

I do think that "SG" should be our safe word for getting out of stuff - no wait - BEER has been our traditional code word!

Anyway, I have a pretty cool '68 SG Jr. that was sort of a mess when I got it: no pickup or pickguard, tuners were junk, etc. I cut a pickguard for it, installed a clipped P-100 pickup (making it a hot P-90), a Wilkinson bridge like the PRS style, and new tuners and cleaned up generally. Really great sounding guitar... in the studio, the engineer commented 'there's nothing like the sound of those old P-90's...' I almost hated having to tell him that it was a modern clipped P-100!

BEER! SG! BEER!
It's not Facebook, we are pretty civil after all.

And you forgot another safe word:

Kate perry.

How could you?

Anyway, pics of your SG ?
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:55 am

thejay wrote:Always wanted to try those pickups but haven't had a chance at this point. Curious what you think

I've been massively impressed with a gibson explorer I had for a few weeks with bareknuckle cold sweat in the neck, and painkiller bridge. Not only was the Explorer fantastic to play, those pick ups sounded amazing. That explorer could do anything from the sweetest of jazz to any hard rock /metal.

On hoping those will be as good, if different.
Ant

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:17 am

Wierd?.. yep thats it..

So..on topic..

One guitar, one pedal, one orange amp, cab of choice...

Whats best for protest songs?... :D

hers my first stab...

G&L Fallout, TC Spark (mid boost), Rocker 30 & 212 with Greenbacks
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

CAR-15

Post by CAR-15 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:43 am

Here is my post from Facebook yesterday. THANK GOD that Killery didn't get elected!!!

I am so glad that Trump got elected. It is a real repudiation against all of the B.S. political correctness, immoral behavior, social justice movement and anything else requiring a "Trigger warning" or "Safe Space". For the first time in a long time the silent majority was not silent! We have said "enough is enough" and it is about damned time! The last eight years have created some of the most ill-behaved and outright immoral people that I have ever seen in my life! What used to be called "normal" is now considered "wrong" If you are a white male who owns guns, believes in God, thinks that a balanced budget is a good thing, thinks that illegal immigration is bad, Syrian refugees are bad then you are considered a redneck, homophobic person who just isn't in line with the "times" or that is the "old way of thinking". Well I'm telling all you whiny little bitches that those days are over!!!
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:45 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
thejay wrote:I had a faded SG special a long while ago, all stock, It worked well. :) def preferred the custom I had years after that but more related to the stock 490 pickups.

I'm hoping the one I'm planning to get will be good. It's a 1999 by the serial number.

I had an explorer a while back with bareknuckle pick ups and was very impressed with the tones, so I'm hoping those bareknuckles will be similarly impressive!
What bareknuckle pickup's are in it ....?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30