Dark amp or something wrong? OR-15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BigScience

Dark amp or something wrong? OR-15

Post by BigScience » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:55 am

I will admit, I have spent my entire playing life using Fender and Mesa amps. I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom and play mainly clean-ish getting dirt from my pedal board. I know that Oranges are know to be darker voiced amps, but wow, it seems to me that the OR-15 has zero top end. The treble control has little to no effect on the overall tone. Currently I am running 15W, Volume at Noon, Treble Dimed, mids 10:00 (my LP is pretty mid heavy), Bass 2:00, gain 10:00 to try to get an edge of breakup kind of sound. However, even with this setup I have to dime the treble on my philosopher's tone compressor, and turn the bright switch on on my morning glory to get even a small amount of top end edge. Or is this just the character of the amp and it just can't run clean well at all?

When I roll up the gain, I do get some top end. But I don't really want tons of gain, I get that from the floor.

Any suggestions as to how to approach remedying this issue? Tubes?

Thanks for the help!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Dark amp or something wrong? OR-15

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:55 am

Somethings wrong here ....treble has no effect on overall tone?

You don't say whether it's a new amp or how old the tubes are. Have you tried a different guitar , something with single coils? Just to confirm your findings.

The tubes could be an issue but I'd still expect the treble control to work.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 am

What speakers re you running through? I found my high eq to have almost no effect through cannibis rex speakers.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 am

A brief review of the OP's posting indicates that they are unhappy with their OR15. It could be that the amp in question has problems or it could equally be that the OP has just purchased the wrong amp for them. I suspect the latter.

If it's the former; check to make sure you have the correct speaker impedance for the jack socket you are using. Disconnect all your pedals, plug in directly and see if your tone controls change the sound. You should be able to hear a difference with all of them and I find them to be quite effective. They are not however as marked as those on, for instance, a Boogie.

By far the best course of action would be to compare the amp to another OR15 but I assume this is not feasible for the OP.

Now, if the tone controls work but don't get you to the sound you want - it's probably time to start planning for your next amp.

BigScience

Post by BigScience » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, I am running through a PPC112 with a V30 loaded. I am running the 16 Ohm out into the cab. I used the cab formerly with a Mesa Transatlantic through a safe mismatch (with made the overall tone darker). The Transatlantic 15 got some of the high end I liked on the Vox and Marshall voicings, but with a mid heavy LP, the lack of a mids control just didn't work for me.

And to PBA, yes, I realize that it may just be the character of the amp that I do not like. But having played electric guitar for nearly 20 years and having owned half a dozen different amps, I am wondering and am trying to see if this is normal, or if I am just not a fan of the amp. It just seems to me that this is unusually dark.

The amp is basically new. I bought it from a store where a fellow who is a gear tester bought it, demoed it, and sold it back to the store. When I got it, it still had the hang tags on the amp. The store is not local, I bought it through Reverb.

The gain of the amp sounds good, but I am trying to run clean-ish sounds that I can work with my volume knob a bit.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 pm

I run my OR15 with the treble just below 12, the mids at 10, and the bass at 10. There's lots of high end to be had. You might want to get yours looked at to make sure it's operating like it should. Have you tried turning the bass down?

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Are you running your signal through a sea of true bypass pedals or do you have something to buffer the signal?
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Sootio wrote:...
There's lots of high end to be had. You might want to get yours looked at to make sure it's operating like it should. Have you tried turning the bass down?
That´s also my experience. I never found the OR15 dark or muddy.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:43 am

Have to say that if you want cleanish, then there really is not a lot of cleanish volume from the OR15.. so while your amp may or may not have an issue (all covered by our colleagues above), by far the better budget clean pedal platform from Orange ime is the clean channels of either the TH30 or Rocker 30
BigScience wrote:I will admit, I have spent my entire playing life using Fender and Mesa amps. I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom and play mainly clean-ish getting dirt from my pedal board. I know that Oranges are know to be darker voiced amps, but wow, it seems to me that the OR-15 has zero top end. The treble control has little to no effect on the overall tone. Currently I am running 15W, Volume at Noon, Treble Dimed, mids 10:00 (my LP is pretty mid heavy), Bass 2:00, gain 10:00 to try to get an edge of breakup kind of sound. However, even with this setup I have to dime the treble on my philosopher's tone compressor, and turn the bright switch on on my morning glory to get even a small amount of top end edge. Or is this just the character of the amp and it just can't run clean well at all?

When I roll up the gain, I do get some top end. But I don't really want tons of gain, I get that from the floor.

Any suggestions as to how to approach remedying this issue? Tubes?

Thanks for the help!
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

BigScience

Post by BigScience » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Well, the fuse blew yesterday, which typically means I have a tube issue, which could also explain some things. I am going to be replacing the tubes soon, which could make a big difference.