OR15 vs Rocker 30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Biowolf78

OR15 vs Rocker 30

Post by Biowolf78 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello everyone! First time registering on these great boards and I have a question for you all. Im fortunate enough to have just gotten engaged and my Fiancé would like to get me a gift (i chose an orange amp, hehe). She has agreed to fund my addiction by getting me an OR15, however here is my question:

I look mostly for a punkish-metal tone (Think The Offspring) and Im wondering if I could get away with it by getting an OR15 or should I get the money and then save up a little to get the Rocker 30? Will i even be able to gig with the OR15, or would that only be possible with getting something like a Rocker 30? What do you all think of the tone comparison? How about the Jim Root #4?

Lastly, why do people rag on these "lunchbox" amps? People say that they lack punch and don't compare to the behemoth 50 and 100 watt amps. Why would someone choose a lunchbox amp, then? Are they just gimmicky little toys, or are they professional tools as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I really really appreciate the help and look forward to conversing with you all!

Have an Orange day!

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Re: OR15 vs Rocker 30

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Who is ragging on the lunchbox amps? Sure, if you need deep, gut wrenching br00tal bass, a pair of EL84s will have difficulty supplying that kind of bass response. That's not what the lunchbox amps are for. If you bring a gun to a bazooka fight, you shouldn't complain about your choice!

That said, the Rocker 30 should give you plenty of volume and full enough lows for playing metallic punk rock with a live drummer. I've never had a chance to play one with a band but they have a rep for being a loud 30 watts, and they have a percussive snarl that's awesome for that style of music.

Congrats on your engagement, too, btw. Sounds like a keeper!
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Biowolf78 wrote:Hello everyone! First time registering on these great boards and I have a question for you all. Im fortunate enough to have just gotten engaged and my Fiancé would like to get me a gift (i chose an orange amp, hehe). She has agreed to fund my addiction by getting me an OR15, however here is my question:

I look mostly for a punkish-metal tone (Think The Offspring) and Im wondering if I could get away with it by getting an OR15 or should I get the money and then save up a little to get the Rocker 30? Will i even be able to gig with the OR15, or would that only be possible with getting something like a Rocker 30? What do you all think of the tone comparison? How about the Jim Root #4?
Congrats on the engagement! And welcome to the forums.

Seeing as this is a special gift, and not something you're likely to want to sell down the road, I would strongly recommend trying out both in person and making that decision an informed one.

The OR15 and Rocker 30 are somewhat different. It depends on what kind of volume and headroom you need, really. Rocker 30's don't sell for that much more than the price of a new OR-15. You're talking a few hundred bucks at most, but the price difference is negligible if she does a little shopping.
Biowolf78 wrote:Lastly, why do people rag on these "lunchbox" amps? People say that they lack punch and don't compare to the behemoth 50 and 100 watt amps. Why would someone choose a lunchbox amp, then? Are they just gimmicky little toys, or are they professional tools as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I really really appreciate the help and look forward to conversing with you all!

Have an Orange day!
That's true, little 2 x EL84 based amps with small transformers will never have the punch or move the air of a big 50W or 100W amp with big glass and big iron in it. That's just the way it is. Each power level has its merits, though, as 2 x EL84 amps distort at much more reasonable volumes, and have a nice warm midrange that sits very nicely in a band mix.

If you want big lows, big 3D sound, big headroom, or big volume, you need a big amp. In exchange for that, you deal with more weight, more cost, and you can't get the amp to distort naturally at low volumes.

If you want natural overdrive at less than ear shattering volumes, less weight, and less cost, you're fine with a small amp. In exchange for that, you deal with a more limited frequency response, more one dimensional tone, and decreased headroom.

Different tools for different things. The more I play, the more I try and get lower powered amps. They're just more useable for most of us. I have a number of amazing 50W or 100W heads, but they're too damned loud to use at the places I usually play.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Biowolf78

Post by Biowolf78 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words! What about in terms of gigs? Can the OR15 or the Jim Root head cut it over a loud drummer?

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Biowolf78 wrote:Thanks for the kind words! What about in terms of gigs? Can the OR15 or the Jim Root head cut it over a loud drummer?
Depends on your Speaker cabs, Front Of House and stage monitors.

I've seen plenty of shows where guitarists cut straight through with low-wattage amps.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Biowolf78 wrote:Hello everyone! First time registering on these great boards and I have a question for you all. Im fortunate enough to have just gotten engaged and my Fiancé would like to get me a gift (i chose an orange amp, hehe). She has agreed to fund my addiction by getting me an OR15, however here is my question:

Lastly, why do people rag on these "lunchbox" amps? People say that they lack punch and don't compare to the behemoth 50 and 100 watt amps. Why would someone choose a lunchbox amp, then? Are they just gimmicky little toys, or are they professional tools as well?

Have an Orange day!
I really can't see many people complaining about tone when a Tiny Terror is played through a 212 or 412 with all dials at 12 o'clock.

If you think they are toys or gimmicks you've simply not used one.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:46 pm

15w is really loud.

Sure it hasn't got the low end if a bigger amp, but unless you play down tuned metal, you don't really need the low end.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:22 am

I´m playing my Dual Terror with 212 cab mostly with the 7 watts mode in rehearsals and gigs. Loud enough for the band and the rest will be done with the PA.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Lunchbox amps definitely don't push as much air (low end wise), however, I do consider this a good thing. Low end IME, can often translate into mud once part of a mix. I have a R30 and a TT. The R30 is the best dirt tone I've heard (so far anyway), but the tone and portability of the TT make it my go to for actual jamming. I'm also paranoid about damaging my R30's so they don't leave my house :) I've never not played a gig where there isn't some sort of PA support, so the lower wattage stuff works fine for me.

The R30 is my definition of a Punk/Metal amp. Lots of folks say it's "classic" but I have no trouble playing modern progressive metal styles. It's a very aggressive and "in your face" tone, plus many around here consider the dirty channel to be as loud as a 50 watt amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

To be honest, if the OP can swing a R30, i'd almost recommend that one.

It's a very good amp, but it doesn't suit all styles IMO, and the clean channel v dirty channel volume makes it a bit quirky to use live, though you can definitely do it but with a boost always on for the clean channel (ie: adjust the gain on the gain channel down a touch, and leave the boost always on for both channels).

The R30 isn't for everything, but if it works for you, that dirty channel is very rewarding.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:36 am

The R30 has that 'roaring chords' thing going on. Great for punk, good on classic rock rhythm as well.

Biowolf78

Post by Biowolf78 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:35 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:The R30 has that 'roaring chords' thing going on. Great for punk, good on classic rock rhythm as well.
Does the OR15 or Jim Root get close to that roar? From what i've heard so far, Orange amps seem to have a bad ass growl with lots of definition even in high gain. Suppose I swing for the OR15 or Jim Root, any similar results?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Not quite.

Again, the R30 doesn't suit all styles so well, it's very fuzzy (yet perfectly defined and articulate) and lots of people would spend big money to get that tone from a pedal for stoner rock for example.

But It does classic rock really well too, as said by misterfolkertsma.

Both the OR15 and terror #4 will sound decidedly more modern, and more rounded. Still, none of them are bad choices!!!!!
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Agree with LPL
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 am

I've been thinking a little more about this. In all honesty, I'm not sure how close you can get to the sound of the Offspring with Orange amps. My understanding is that Mesa MkIV amps are their choice. You will find a lot of love for the Rocker 30 here, and it can do punk very well, but it might be further from the Offspring tone than the other choices.

Is the Offspring tone specifically your goal? If so, I would recommend an Orange with an effects loop so you can run an EQ post distortion. The Mesa amps they use have graphic EQs built in to shape the tone. Just thinking out loud...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V