Am I making a mistake?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Am I making a mistake?

Post by jesperbc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:33 pm

I have a Rocker 30 and a TH100. I never use the TH100, since I got the Rocker 30. The clean channel sounds better on the R30 - fuller, more 3-dimensional. The drive channel sounds better on the R30 as well - maybe not as much gain on tap unless pushed with an OD, but overall it cuts much better in a band mix compared to the TH100. I only use the TH100 with pedals - it's an excellent pedal platform, but I never utilize the 100w or anything near it. Always run it in 50w mode, volume rarely moves above 4.

So I'm selling the TH100, preparing to buy a lower wattage combo like a Fender Bassbreaker 15, used Hot Rod, Blackstar HT-something-something, or something like that. Am I making a mistake?
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Am I making a mistake?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Maybe 100 watts is too much power so why not buy a smaller orange amp?

The smaller version the th30 may be an obvious choice and it's certainly different enough to the R30 .....you've got a cab so why not a dual Terror?

In my view buying a blackstar HT after an Orange amp is a mistake......... the hot rods though are great amps ...if you like playing clean or have some good pedals.
Last edited by Ronnie Robinson on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Sell the TH100 and get a TT while they're still on the market. It is a most impressive little amp. Don't go Blackstar HT.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Ok, so two votes against Blackstar. Then Fender might be the thing for me. I do have a rather good collection of nice sounding pedals.

I've been considering Laney as well. Cub 12R for a good pedal platform and JCM800-style drive channel or IRT30-112 for some proper high-gain sounds.

I feel like the TT is a lot like the R30 and I've heard that it doesn't take pedals so well.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:21 pm

I bought a Blues Deville. It's the most amazing pedal platform.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Well, I guess I'm going the Fender route. I've never owned a Fender, but I'm playing a lot of single-coil stuff, and I really like those spanky, glassy cleans. The Bassbreaker series is interesting though.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:24 pm

No you are not crazy. Rocker30 is #1 amp.

Um, I would say get the hotrod, then you have a sweet clean channel from the fender, and a sweet dirty channel from the orange.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Um, I would say get the hotrod, then you have a sweet clean channel from the fender, and a sweet dirty channel from the orange.
That's a really good point! :D

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Frankly, if you aren't playing it anymore, there's no point in keeping it.

I have 3 amps, and use them all depending on the mood and practicality of each one for what I want to do.
At the moment i have 3 orange, AD15, Rocker 30, Rockerverb 50.

I've had Laney Lionheart 20w, Tiny Terror, fender blues junior, laney LC30, orange Ad30htc combo, marshal jcm 2000 40dsl combo, vox AC30C2 , all of which have gone...... Because they weren't gonna get used much in my care, however nice they were. And some of them were very nice, but but nice doesn't mean I'll play them much.

The only exception here might be the Orange AD30tc. An absolutely beast of an amp, sounded even better than my AD15...... But The light weight and smaller footprint of the AD15, and lower wattage, made it the winner.

So yeah..... Get Something you'll play instead. :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 am

jesperbc wrote:Well, I guess I'm going the Fender route. I've never owned a Fender, but I'm playing a lot of single-coil stuff, and I really like those spanky, glassy cleans. The Bassbreaker series is interesting though.
I think the Bassbreaker series isn´t the classic Fender tone series. Beside a Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe I highly recommend the Ibanez TSA15H which is a fantastic fenderish sounding amp at an unbelievable price. Think about the sound of a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, that´s what this small Ibanez amp delivers. Plus a built-in Tubescreamer circuit.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Beexter

Post by Beexter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Whilst the Laney 12R is a good pedal platform, forget it if you need any clean sounds at gig volume - it won't keep up. I know 'cos I had one. I had the head version and ran it through a VERY efficient (ie. loud) Eminence Wizard loaded cab.

Of course, if you intend to mic it up then yep, it'll work fine but don't think you can get away without micing it for clean sounds - you won't. Overdriven, it'll keep up and cut through no problem.

FWIW, I replaced the Laney with a Vox Night Train 50w head but that has since been replaced with an Orange Rocker 30 and a Mesa Express 5:25+, both of which are stellar.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 pm

skerwo wrote: I think the Bassbreaker series isn´t the classic Fender tone series. Beside a Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe I highly recommend the Ibanez TSA15H which is a fantastic fenderish sounding amp at an unbelievable price. Think about the sound of a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, that´s what this small Ibanez amp delivers. Plus a built-in Tubescreamer circuit.
The Bassbreaker is a nod to the Marshall clones of the Bassman circuit in the early days, so it's a more British sound, you're right. I've been looking at the TSA15H, it's a great package for at home practicing, but somehow I was turned off by it. I don't remember what it was. Maybe the white tolex? :D
Beexter wrote:Whilst the Laney 12R is a good pedal platform, forget it if you need any clean sounds at gig volume - it won't keep up. I know 'cos I had one. I had the head version and ran it through a VERY efficient (ie. loud) Eminence Wizard loaded cab.

Of course, if you intend to mic it up then yep, it'll work fine but don't think you can get away without micing it for clean sounds - you won't. Overdriven, it'll keep up and cut through no problem.

FWIW, I replaced the Laney with a Vox Night Train 50w head but that has since been replaced with an Orange Rocker 30 and a Mesa Express 5:25+, both of which are stellar.
I would mainly be using the Cub 12R for at home practicing and toying around with pedals, so the instrument cable might never leave the 1w input. :)

I already have the Rocker 30, which I love to death. Someone is selling a R30 head in very good condition near me, and another one is selling an R30 combo in VERY good condition. Contemplating getting one or the other, just because I'm a really big fan of the R30, but at the same time I'm looking for something different. Vox AC15/AC30, Fender HotRod Deluxe or something-someting Reverb if I can afford it, but at the same time contemplating a Laney IRT30-112 for a more modern distortion tone. I'm in two minds.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am

jesperbc wrote:Well, I guess I'm going the Fender route. I've never owned a Fender, but I'm playing a lot of single-coil stuff, and I really like those spanky, glassy cleans. The Bassbreaker series is interesting though.
I LOVE the Bassbreaker 15, I'll probably get one myself if Marshall doesn't put out something similar in the next year, a Bassbreaker is not classic Fender tone at all its really Marshally. Nothing wrong with selling the TH100, variety is definitely the way to go IMO. Another option to go with is the new Vox heads, they got a 15 and 30 available, I'm very interested in these as well just haven't found one to try, a couple guys I know online got the 30 and they love it, they say it sounds great at low or high volume, this sounds to be a very versatile amp.
Thunderverb 50

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

pedecamp wrote:
jesperbc wrote:...Another option to go with is the new Vox heads, they got a 15 and 30 available...
What? Vox heads? Gotta check those out. Nighttrain? AC?

I just visited my local store yesterday and played both a Fender Bassbreaker 15 and a Vox AC15C1. I gotta say, I liked the AC15C1 much better. The Bassbreaker didn't sound like a Fender at all, which kinda let me down when I was playing. Afterwards I remembered that it was a nod to the old Bassman Marshall-clones, so that kinda made me reaffirm my distaste for Marshall tones. It'll definitely not be the Bassbreaker for me.

I did play the Bassbreaker with a Elite Stratocaster with Noiseless 4 pickups, and the AC15C1 with a Standards Strat with Fat '50s pickups. I love the Fat '50s. I don't know how much the Noiseless 4 pickups influenced the tone of the Bassbreaker. That'll be a test for the next visit.

I might get a Vox AC30 in the future - the AC15C1 reminded me that I absolutely LOVE Vox tones.

I just put down an order for a Blackstar HT-5R for home use. I'm thinking it'll be plenty of wattage and it has all the features I want out of a small amp; valves, 2 channels - footswitchable, FX loop, 12" speaker and a headphone out.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 pm

Those Vox AC15H and AC30H look really cool, although they lack the classic look of the combos. I wonder how well they perform with a PPC212 open back cab with Vintage 30's?