The Worst Dark Terror Tone

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ryandilello5

The Worst Dark Terror Tone

Post by ryandilello5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFveeRPkISA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watched this and cringed.... maybe it's just the player. What's everyone think?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: The Worst Dark Terror Tone

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Yeah, just the player. :shock:

Totally cringe worthy. And it's not a dark terror, it's a dual dark.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Yeah, just the player. :shock:

Totally cringe worthy. And it's not a dark terror, it's a dual dark.
ah yes, dual dark, my b.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Probably sounds good in the mix. I doubt he changed it from his band tone.

BeyondTheSunn

Post by BeyondTheSunn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:35 pm

Well, nothing wrong with the player really. Personally speaking, silly high output EMG pickups for high gain "Metal Shred" that go through, obviously, the guitar into a high gain amp generally sound... Well, utter sh*te to me. Yep, I play heavy myself, lots of fuzz, gain, pre-amp and power distortion, drop tuned etc., but it's a totally different kind of 'heavy' to this. Low/medium output pickups, say from 7k to 12.8k - the highest I go, that aren't designed to be "Metal Shred Blah" in a guitar that isn't a shredding instrument into an amp that isn't primary designed to be a "Metal Amp" just sounds much better to me, personally.

If I had a Dual Dark, considering one actually in the future, I'd just run my trusty '72 Telecaster Deluxe through it, I'm sure it'd sound better than a high output pickup installed guitar. The two just don't go well to me.

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm

BeyondTheSunn wrote:Well, nothing wrong with the player really. Personally speaking, silly high output EMG pickups for high gain "Metal Shred" that go through, obviously, the guitar into a high gain amp generally sound... Well, utter sh*te to me. Yep, I play heavy myself, lots of fuzz, gain, pre-amp and power distortion, drop tuned etc., but it's a totally different kind of 'heavy' to this. Low/medium output pickups, say from 7k to 12.8k - the highest I go, that aren't designed to be "Metal Shred Blah" in a guitar that isn't a shredding instrument into an amp that isn't primary designed to be a "Metal Amp" just sounds much better to me, personally.

If I had a Dual Dark, considering one actually in the future, I'd just run my trusty '72 Telecaster Deluxe through it, I'm sure it'd sound better than a high output pickup installed guitar. The two just don't go well to me.
Yeah I agree, the guitar doesn't really do the amp justice. But I don't think the player does either. The best sounding metal pickups I've ever played were the Brent Hinds passive pickups.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 pm

BeyondTheSunn wrote:Well, nothing wrong with the player really. Personally speaking, silly high output EMG pickups for high gain "Metal Shred" that go through, obviously, the guitar into a high gain amp generally sound... Well, utter sh*te to me. Yep, I play heavy myself, lots of fuzz, gain, pre-amp and power distortion, drop tuned etc., but it's a totally different kind of 'heavy' to this. Low/medium output pickups, say from 7k to 12.8k - the highest I go, that aren't designed to be "Metal Shred Blah" in a guitar that isn't a shredding instrument into an amp that isn't primary designed to be a "Metal Amp" just sounds much better to me, personally.

i couldn't disagree with this more. i really think people have a misunderstanding of what actives actually do and how they work, particularly how they work with high gain amps. i have 3 guitars with actives and 10 with passives and they all serve their purpose. some people just prefer the colored non-compressed tone of passives. some people prefer the clear, uncolored compressed tone of actives. i like them both. and to me nothing sounds better than running an active into a lightly crunched high gain amp to get that bite.

Vamp

Post by Vamp » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 am

ryandilello5 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFveeRPkISA

I think, give the kid a break. What is he, twelve? Not bad for his age eh?

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 am

I heard worse.
That kid has the balls to perform alone in front of a crowd, and his playing isn't really that bad.
Give him time.
And I'm sure the audience didn't give a $hit about tone.
If you want to listen to a horrible Orange sound look for Finntroll live footage.
I don't remember what video it was, but it was bloody awfull.
And this is coming from someone who likes Finntroll!
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Vamp wrote:
ryandilello5 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFveeRPkISA

I think, give the kid a break. What is he, twelve? Not bad for his age eh?
Not really criticizing the kid. More just the tone. I agree, good for him for playing in front of that many people.