Help/Advice!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

omron

Help/Advice!

Post by omron » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi all,

I could do with a bit of help/advice. I've been looking for a new amp and I've been leaning towards picking up a Tiny Terror. The issue I have is whether the TT would be overkill for what I need? It would mainly be for bedroom playing and messing around on my own. I'm not a particularly good or serious player but do love the Orange tone.

I just wonder if the Micro Terror and PPC108 might be more suited rather than the TT and PPC-112 which might be wasted on me. Not to mention the huge price difference. I realise that the TT price is justified in the quality of sound you get but I worry I wouldn't be using it to its full potential. Also, is the TT too loud for bedroom playing?

On the other hand, having read quite a few other forums a lot of people recommend the TT for my situation, and the style of music I like to play. Also, I guess the TT would be a long term investment, as in I could stick with for the foreseeable future and it'll easily do everything I could want or need. Whereas if I ever want to go up a step then I'll have to replace the micro.

Or maybe neither of the Terrors are for me. I'm open to any suggestions.

So any thoughts and opinions on what would be the best choice would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Help/Advice!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Hello welcome.

It depends how quiet you need to play and if your wanting a (first ?) Valve amp.

If you can play at loud TV volume my advice would be buy a second hand TT and 112 cab and give it a try , if it doesn't work sell it and you will have lost nothing .

One thing you will get if you can turn the TT up is wonderful classic rock tone.

Unfortunately a valve amp is not ideal if you need to play quiet and the TT can get loud enough to play with a full band.

Other contenders may be an amp from the orange crush range which be better suited to a quieter practice.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:42 pm

My main amp is a CR120 head. It's great because I can play with my band through a 4x12 and sound fantastic and I can practice at home at very low volumes through a 1x12, getting tones that sound so much better than tubes would at the same level.

Oh and the best part? It's affordable as hell. $450 for insanely good tone. I'm afraid that if you get a TT or MT, you'll feel the need to upgrade down the road to allow for more volume or versatility. And the worst case scenario, if you find guitar isn't for you, you'll have wasted a lot of money buying a TT.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 pm

If it's just for the bedroom I'd go with the micro terror and the ppc112. You get a headphone jack and aux input. PPC108 just doesn't sound good, it's a fun gimmick I think. Or a Crush pro series combo amp.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm

omron wrote:...I just wonder if the Micro Terror and PPC108 might be more suited rather than the TT and PPC-112 which might be wasted on me. Not to mention the huge price difference. I realise that the TT price is justified in the quality of sound you get but I worry I wouldn't be using it to its full potential. Also, is the TT too loud for bedroom playing?...
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I had a TT combo and tried to make it work as a bedroom amp. It doesn't sound like a Tiny Terror at bedroom volumes. It likes to be cranked to living room volumes at least. I have ended up with a Vox Cambridge 15 as my favorite bedroom amp, but I would probably get the Micro Terror if buying new. The Crush Pro amps are appealing though, especially if you expect to need more power later. Solid-State seems to be better for bedroom volumes in my experience.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:04 pm

1St off, whichever amp you buy, avoid the PPC108. It's cuter than it is useful. Got a set up with a proper PPC112, with a good quality speaker in it.

Now for the amp...... I Never really play whisper quiet volumes - if I do, I just strum my electric unplugged. If you think about it, an unplugged electric isn't particularly loud, and no valve amp (and in my experience Solid State amps) sound that good at that sort of volume. I play my amps at slightly above TV volume, and the TT will be better than most SS amps at that volume, and give you the possibility to play louder when needed, and graduate to full band set up when the opportunity arises.

In my opinion - yours may not be the same - if you need to be less loud than regular TV volume, an amplifier is the wrong choice altogether.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I had an MT for a while and it sounded terrible compared to the TT. If you have the extra money, might as well get a TT, and PPC112. That is what I started with, and still have it >10 years later. It doesn't hurt to get more than you need, but IMO if you buy the MT now, you will be wanting more fairly quickly.

Won't be long until you and a few buddies are jamming in the garage on the weekend. At that time, you will be needing something better/louder.

If you are totally set on the Micro series, at least get the MicroDark. It has cab sim on the headphone jack so it should sound decent through a pair of cans, and into a computer. The headphone jack on the original MT was a joke. Awful sound. I think the MD also has a few other improvements, but I can't recall them right now.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a TT (hard wired edition) and a PPC112. Just an "at home" amateur...

I've never heard any of the Micro series in person...

I LOVE my TT. With the Volume and Gain pots I can go from whisper quiet (with dirt!) to "hurt my ears" loud.

While the Micro series may be "good enough" for some situations, I'd guess the TT would be a much better investment unless money is a huge issue.

Good luck!
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:33 am

I think all the advice posted here makes lots of sense to me. I entered the world (to me) of Orange with a Micro Dark and a PPC108 last November. I've made the smaller 8" setup work for me, but can't help but wonder what improve-
ments the PPC112 would make. I may do that yet, but need re-assurance that at slightly above TV volumes it would work.

Adkguy07