All My Pedals Are So Pretty :D (nice board on stage?)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

All My Pedals Are So Pretty :D (nice board on stage?)

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I'm ramping up to get my solo project out and about the town. I've been a bedroom guitar player/gear collector for ages now. I've put together a compact/okay to get dinged up amp rig, but completely forgot about my pedals. I've got a few nice pedals on my board, and have been stupid enough to write most of my songs around the effects that I have. This means I need a whack of effects in order to play the set, all well and good. Then I started to remember the shows my last band played at. I was the drummer so my gear was always well protected at the back of the stage, but the guitar and bass player had all matter of excitement happening up front. I recall people falling on stage, spilling drinks, tripping on pedals, unplugging things etc.

So my question is, people with nice boards, what do you do to keep your pedals protected? I had a few ideas in mind:

1. Get a cheap midi switching system. Something from disaster area designs most likely, then pickup a cheap midi food board to have out front. Will have to spend more cash, and get some sort of rack with a drawer in it.

2. AxeFX-ify all of my pedals. Would be less gear to haul, and a much quicker setup. Pretty expensive though, and I'm not sure the AxeFX can replicate some of the more unique Strymon delay sounds.

3. Place pedals at the back of stage. The band is going to be instrumental, so this may not be a bad idea. It is a bit cheezy to see the primary guitar player constantly turning around to switch effects.

4. SARAN WRAP!!! Got this idea from a GWAR rig rundown ages ago. They blast fake blood on the audience and all over the stage and it kept wrecking their midi boards. They then decided to wrap all the floor gear with saran wrap and hadn't had a failure since. This is probably a great idea to keep things clean/free of adult beverages, but doesn't protect against collisions.

5. Build some sort of wood pedal bunker that includes recessed lighting so I'm able to see all of the effects regardless of lighting conditions. Am I joking? I'm not sure TBH haha.

Interested in what you guys do to protect your nice boards? Or am I being over protective? The way I see it, dinged up guitars and cabs still function. I have a 0 tolerance policy for amps as a drink holder so no risk there. But a single drink on my pedals would mean the end. I would probably just sit down on stage and cry for the remainder of the set... May be more entertaining than the music who knows haha.

Thanks!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: All My Pedals Are So Pretty :D (nice board on stage?)

Post by MikeD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Unfortunately accidents will happen and this is usually the case at smaller pubs and private gatherings. I have made sure to put it in our rider that the person who signs is also responsible for their guests, this includes all and any damage that they cause to our rig. Something we've not yet have to use... good gear tends to take a beating and wipes off easily.

I myself am 6foot 2, approximately 90kg, wear a size ten in my docs and I work out 4 times a week. I've only once had too help someone back-up from my gear... with my foot! Normally a dirty look scares the shlt out of them and they back-up. I have although shut down a gig during the last set because a few drunkards wouldn't get off the stage and the contractor did nothing. Something that is also clearly stated in our rider... we have a lot of expensive gear, my drummers set for example has an unfathomable price tag and I really wouldn't want anyone falling over it.

A good insurance policy that covers instruments and the more expensive stuff is also something I'd recommend. One that even covers stuff outside of your house.

The fact of the matter however is that things do get less shinny and receive some good punishment on the road no matter how careful you are. But it really shows how important the build quality is... crap pedals don't last long! So let the rarities stay at home and try to have some damage control planned out to begin with... like a contract and insurance.
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I use the TC Electronics G-System. The foot pedal-ly thing is pretty robust (search youtube to see it run over by bicycle, car, tank, etc.) I have two pedals in my G-System loop that reside in a rack permanently. I call them up with the foot controller and house the brain part of the G-System in the rack as well. Fortunately for me, my road case guitar stand fits the foot controller perfectly and I can transport it safely without worrying about damage.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Yea the rack drawer with a midi controller and switcher would be the safest solution for sure, but pricey. I might as well just spend a touch more and get a use AxeFX. Does glad make clear garbage bags? hahah.

I think there is a business opportunity to be had here. Some sort of pedal board sneeze guard. hmm.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:08 pm

I just keep it simple and lay my pedals to one side so punters have to get past me before they can lob their drink over my pedals or stomp on 'em. Who says you have to face the audience all the time? For on/off pedals it's just a quick shoe tap to one side, for Wah moments I am side on to the audience. Doesn't cost a thing and works fine. Good luck with your solo project!!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!