Reducing fuzz on the OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Reducing fuzz on the OR15

Post by mj6thbuif » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:57 am

Is it just me or is the OR15 a little fuzzy/fizzy especially at lower volumes? Anyway, I love the amp and but is a little fuzzier than I like. I usually run my gain anywhere from noon to 3:00. Any recommendations on how to reduce the fuzz/fizz a bit?

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: Reducing fuzz on the OR15

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 am

Which speakers? And easy on the gain, if youre almost diming the gain and only slightly using the volume its bound to sound thin.

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:40 pm

I use a Randall 1x12 with a vintage30 on stage and a 5150 4x12 with stock Sheffields for practice. I hear just a little bit of fuzz regardless of which cab i run through. Especially at lower volumes. Most of the time, my gain is set to 2:00 so def not dimed.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Orange amps are fuzzy/fizzy in nature. I find the Terror based amps are fizzy, and the higher wattage OR/AD are more fuzzy. The RV seems to have this dialed out a bit better.

For the OR15, the louder the master, the less fizz you should hear. Also make sure to always play in 15 watt mode. More bass, less fizz, and I can't detect any less breakup.

You do have a few options if you really love the OR15.

1. Get a parameteric EQ. You should be able to isolate that fizzy frequency and get rid of it. One that allows Q width would be even better.
2. Get some sort of cab sim device like a torpedo, and run with the amp maxed into headphones, or studio monitors.
3. Do what I did and give up on low volume practice with tube amps and get some software to run in your DAW. I settled on the IK Media Tiny Terror package. A set of those panned L/R sounds wicked. I believe you can get the TT model for free with the included credits after you download the software suite.
4. Get another amp. Something like a used RV50 might be more to your liking.

GL.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 pm

I've typically found Orange amps kind of fizzy with the stock 12ax7 in the first pre-amp tube (V1) position. To help with this I've used a 5751 in the first position of my Tiny Terrors and even my OR50 at one time to help turn the fizz into more of a growl. If you have access to one it's simply pull the current one out and drop the 5751 in.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:46 am

mj6thbuif wrote:Especially at lower volumes. Most of the time, my gain is set to 2:00 so def not dimed.
Define lower volumes. If you're going for room filling, but not something that the neighbors will be able to hear, with the gain between noon and three I imagine the master volume isnt going anywhere over the first notch. So comparatively the gain's almost dimed is what I meant. Getting the gain and master volume more balanced at the full wattage setting is what I reckon would sound less fizzy.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 am

misterfolkertsma wrote:
mj6thbuif wrote:Especially at lower volumes. Most of the time, my gain is set to 2:00 so def not dimed.
Define lower volumes. If you're going for room filling, but not something that the neighbors will be able to hear, with the gain between noon and three I imagine the master volume isnt going anywhere over the first notch. So comparatively the gain's almost dimed is what I meant. Getting the gain and master volume more balanced at the full wattage setting is what I reckon would sound less fizzy.

+1
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

KevinH

Post by KevinH » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm

mj6thbuif wrote:Is it just me or is the OR15 a little fuzzy/fizzy especially at lower volumes? Anyway, I love the amp and but is a little fuzzier than I like. I usually run my gain anywhere from noon to 3:00. Any recommendations on how to reduce the fuzz/fizz a bit?
Replace the stock tubes with Mullards - this will reduce the fizz and increase the clean headroom a bit. Think I paid $40 for the tubes.

- Happy OR15 owner

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 am

mj6thbuif wrote:Is it just me or is the OR15 a little fuzzy/fizzy especially at lower volumes? Anyway, I love the amp and but is a little fuzzier than I like. I usually run my gain anywhere from noon to 3:00. Any recommendations on how to reduce the fuzz/fizz a bit?
Tubes, what do you have in it? I'm thinking replace you preamp tubes with something smoother, talk to your tube supplier and they will recommend something.
Thunderverb 50