OR15 Gain Question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OfMars

OR15 Gain Question

Post by OfMars » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a used OR15 and PPC112. When I started it up and put the gain up to 1 or 2 o' clock or beyond, the overdrive quickly starts to have a fizzy, high end kind of break up that feels detached from or blanketing the core tone in a way that I didn't hear when I played it in a store.

My question is pretty straight forward - is that just the characteristic of how these amps break up and I just didn't hear it when trying it out? Or is there something wrong/that I'm not doing right?

Thanks in advance!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR15 Gain Question

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 am

How much volume are u using?

Valves amps need to be turned up and if volume is low , yes they can sound fizzy. If it's used how old are the valves?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 am

Please also tell us the rest of the dial positions.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Fizz yes. I experience a fair amount of it with my TT at higher gain levels. AFAIK the OR15 is based on the TT with the exception of the preamp, so WELCOME :D

Do you have an EQ pedal? If so throw that in the chain and try to dial out the band that is producing the fuzz. Another option may be to lower the amp gain, and use a boost/od pedal to get the extra gain you need. You could then sculpt your tone with the EQ on the pedal.

GL!

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:02 pm

What speaker is in the PPC112? A V30?
Greg

AryaS
Tiny Terror

Post by AryaS » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:04 pm

I do not experience the fizz until I am just over halfway on the gain pot, but I tamed this beast using a 12AU7 in the V1 position, got me a lot more headroom.

The gain now at full with the 12AU7 is what I used to get at 12o' Clock with the stock tube at V1, which i really like a lot!!
Ibanez FRM100TR
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Brown (50's Wired)
Faith Apollo Neptune w/ LR Baggs Lyric System
Washburn HB-35, MIJ

Rockitt Retro 50 - 1968 Lead Spec
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Fender Blues Junior (1997)
Gibson GA-5

OfMars

Post by OfMars » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks to everyone for comments and questions. I'll reply in order of posts, and we'll see if that alters the expert opinions (all you guys :D )
Ronnie Robinson wrote:How much volume are u using?

Valves amps need to be turned up and if volume is low , yes they can sound fizzy. If it's used how old are the valves?
I am pretty low on volume, using the 7 watt setting at maybe 8 - 8:30 on the dial (the core problem with apartment living). So this may be the big stumbling block for me. I bought the amp used from a one of the big chain stores, so I have no sense of how old the valves are.
misterfolkertsma wrote:Please also tell us the rest of the dial positions.
I've kept Treble at 11 o clock or 12, mids at 12 or 1, and bass similarly at 12 or 1.
Boy_Narf wrote:Fizz yes. I experience a fair amount of it with my TT at higher gain levels. AFAIK the OR15 is based on the TT with the exception of the preamp, so WELCOME :D

Do you have an EQ pedal? If so throw that in the chain and try to dial out the band that is producing the fuzz. Another option may be to lower the amp gain, and use a boost/od pedal to get the extra gain you need. You could then sculpt your tone with the EQ on the pedal.

GL!
The EQ pedal was an interesting option. I tried to dial that in with one of the Fender micro-EQ pedals. Sadly, the most effective way of filtering out the fizz was basically to scoop out the middle band, which had the added effect of removing crunch and, of course, scooping the tone (I do enjoy mids). I had wanted to try running a Tube Screamer into it but I've sadly discovered mine is fried. I'll spend some time playing with others and can report that.
Norrin Radd wrote:What speaker is in the PPC112? A V30?
I haven't cracked the cab open, so I'm going on faith that it's still the V30. I'm curious though, so that will go on my list of experiments to run.
AryaS wrote:I do not experience the fizz until I am just over halfway on the gain pot, but I tamed this beast using a 12AU7 in the V1 position, got me a lot more headroom.

The gain now at full with the 12AU7 is what I used to get at 12o' Clock with the stock tube at V1, which i really like a lot!!
So do you get the other tonal characteristics of a crunchy signal without the fizz laying on top of it?

In truth I don't mind it in instances when I'm ready to max the gain and get kind of grimey with it. I'm just looking for flex around the 50%-75% range.

AryaS
Tiny Terror

Post by AryaS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:25 am

Yeah it does not get fizzy when I'm just over the halfway mark, and love the tones with my guitar volume rolled down to 9 instead of full. Something happens with that setting where it sounds nice and full, also gets nice and crunchy and mids and higher mids oozing out sounds great to my ears, but I'll say it again, the tube swap killed any fuzz and I can now easily run it at 75% gain and not face any fuzz issues. Worth a try I believe!!
Ibanez FRM100TR
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Brown (50's Wired)
Faith Apollo Neptune w/ LR Baggs Lyric System
Washburn HB-35, MIJ

Rockitt Retro 50 - 1968 Lead Spec
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Fender Blues Junior (1997)
Gibson GA-5

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:47 am

OfMars wrote:Thanks to everyone for comments and questions. I'll reply in order of posts, and we'll see if that alters the expert opinions (all you guys :D )
Ronnie Robinson wrote:How much volume are u using?

I am pretty low on volume, using the 7 watt setting at maybe 8 - 8:30 on the dial (the core problem with apartment living). So this may be the big stumbling block for me. I bought the amp used from a one of the big chain stores, so I have no sense of how old the valves are.
misterfolkertsma wrote:Please also tell us the rest of the dial positions.
I've kept Treble at 11 o clock or 12, mids at 12 or 1, and bass similarly at 12 or 1.
Boy_Narf wrote:Fizz yes. I experience a fair amount of it with my TT at higher gain levels. AFAIK the OR15 is based on the TT with the exception of the preamp, so WELCOME :D

GL!
The EQ pedal was an interesting option. I tried to dial that in with one of the Fender micro-EQ pedals. Sadly, the most effective way of filtering out the fizz was basically to scoop out the middle band, which had the added effect of removing crunch and, of course, scooping the tone (I do enjoy mids). I had wanted to try running a Tube Screamer into it but I've sadly discovered mine is fried. I'll spend some time playing with others and can report that.
Norrin Radd wrote:What speaker is in the PPC112? A V30?
I haven't cracked the cab open, so I'm going on faith that it's still the V30. I'm curious though, so that will go on my list of experiments to run.
AryaS wrote:I do not experience the fizz until I am just over halfway on the gain pot, but I tamed this beast using a 12AU7 in the V1 position, got me a lot more headroom.

So do you get the other tonal characteristics of a crunchy signal without the fizz laying on top of it?

In truth I don't mind it in instances when I'm ready to max the gain and get kind of grimey with it. I'm just looking for flex around the 50%-75% range.
OK so apartment living is not ideal for a valve amp even at 7 watts still far too loud. I don't believe your using enough volume on your amp to get a decent tone, what ive tried when playing at house friendly volumes is to use a boost pedal such as the xotic ep booster in the front of the amp which helps to wake it up at lower volume so that may help.

I've definitely try a valve change the valves could of been in there years and not be performing at their best.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

You need a parametric EQ to zero in on the trouble frequency. And always run it on the max wattage setting. I don't like the TT on 7 watts all that much, but on 15 it's wicked. Also remember to keep the master cranked in order to get the power tubes cooking. I find that even my TT doesn't sound all that great at bedroom levels. I need to have the master set higher to get rid of the low volume/high gain gizz.

I have since moved my practice rig to the IK Media Tiny Terror running through my DAW. I think it was cheap enough to buy with the credits they provided me when I installed the trial version. I do believe I spend a few dollars on the Orange cab however. Nothing too expensive though. I get the cranked amp tone I love but through my headphones :) It's also easier to record ideas as the DAW is already open and ready to track.

Alternatively, learn to embrace the fizz/fuzz. IME most of the "vintage voiced" Orange amps have a bit of fizz/fuzz to them. The only one that had a "cleaner" tone was my RV100, but I ditched it for other reasons. You might be better off getting a Jim Root terror as the preamp is based on the Rockerverb. Or look for a used Rockerverb 50 as they can be quite affordable. That or you just aren't into the Orange tone.