Thunderverb 200 full stack

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

PsychChris

Thunderverb 200 full stack

Post by PsychChris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:58 pm

New member here, so please be gentle in case I f**k up :wink:

I have a Thunderverb 200, but am playing through a regular ppc 4x12 (so only 100w) for a year now since my hp was stolen (I know right).

I have the opportunity now to buy a second ppc 4x12 for a very nice price.

Now, is it possible to use the full 200w through two of these ppc 4x12s?

I'm quite the layman when it comes to 8/16 ohms regarding the speakers.

If I put it on 200w and plug the two ppcs in the 16ohms (or 8 ohms, I don't know), will this unleash my caged beauty?

Thanks guys...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Thunderverb 200 full stack

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome and congratulations for your ownership of the almighty Thunderverb 200.

When using the TV200 in 200-watt mode, you must connect a total load of either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. There are multiple ways to do this.

In your case, two 16-ohm PPC412 cabs would combine (in parallel) for a total load of 8 ohms. You would connect each cab to one of the two 8-ohm (@200 watts) outputs on the TV200 since that pair of output jacks are wired together in parallel. Orange labels their output jacks for total load, so you could also connect one 8-ohm cab by itself to one of the outputs in question (instead of two 16-ohm cabs) and the amp would see the same total load of 8 ohms (nominal).

PsychChris

Post by PsychChris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks for your quick response Randy Bass! This is so helpful...

I'm going to repeat what you said just so I'm sure I'm not making erros.

So I plug both the 16ohm cabs in the 8ohm (at 200w), nothing more nothing less.

And from what I understand is that I can plug a ppc 16ohm together with an 8ohm (let's say for instance marshall) cab without problems both in the 8ohm jacks (at 200w)?

(I think I'll be buried with my amp ;) )

(edit after 15min):
This is ridiculous, I just received a mail from someone who is willing to leave me his hp for almost the same price as I can have the ppc I was talking about...

What is your opinion or suggestion, do I go for the full stack, or do I take the hp and sell the other one. I would actually win some money if I took the hp and sold the ppc, but then again, I don't care for these couple of bucks.
I just want what's 'best'

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 pm

No you can't plug in a 16ohm Orange and an 8ohm Marshall at the same time.

You could however use one or the other, in their corresponding jacks.

If you could rewire the speakers in the Marshall to show a 16ohm final load, then yes, you could follow the above steps.

Regarding the cab deal. If you are a home only player, or are alright hauling one ppc412 to a gig and running at 100 watts, then the 812 sounds amazing! If you need the full 200 watts (at crazy high volumes), then hauling two cabs is ridiculous. In that scenario I would get the HP.

Also, the regular PPC412 is 240 watts RMS. I'm sure you could safely run the TV200 @ 200 watts, with a regular 412. Just be careful not to crank it too high.
Last edited by Boy_Narf on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsychChris

Post by PsychChris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:No you can't plug in a 16ohm Orange and an 8ohm Marshall at the same time.

You could however use one or the other, in their corresponding jacks.

If you could rewire the speakers in the Marshall to show a 16ohm final load, then yes, you could follow the above steps.
Thanks for clearing that out...

and which is 'better', a full stack with two ppcs, or one hp? Guess there isn't much of a difference there; besides a little different built.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:13 pm

I made an edit above.

Two 412's are going to destroy any other guitar amp you have ever heard. The amount of low mid push is incredible.

Regarding wattage. There are tons of people around here who use an RV100 with a PPC212. No reason why you shouldn't be able to use a TV200 with a regular PPC412.

I have a 612 stack, and while my 412 sounds awesome, adding the ppc212 on top makes it sound incredible.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 pm

P.S. I had no idea the TV200 could run at 4 ohms.

Hmm, perhaps you can run a 16ohm Orange and a 8 ohm Marshall. Anyone smarter than me know what the final ohm load would be? Somewhere around 6ohms?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Ahh found it. 5.33 ohms.

Give this a read and decide for yourself.

http://www.marshallforum.com/index.php? ... her.10837/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PsychChris

Post by PsychChris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:06 pm

You say that the 812 would rip in the mids. Does that imply that the hp would not give that mid punch then?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help!

I'm considering to maybe buy the hp (400 euros) and also keep the ppc...

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Both setups will rip. Just depends how much trouser flapping you require haha.

8x12 has so much low mid, you may have to back off the low end to keep from overpowering the bass guitar.

PsychChris

Post by PsychChris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Both setups will rip. Just depends how much trouser flapping you require haha.

8x12 has so much low mid, you may have to back off the low end to keep from overpowering the bass guitar.
hahaha owkay... I think I'll stick to the hp then.
But I'm one of those suckers who can't sell his stuff once he has it. So I'll keep the ppc also and then maybe in a year or so buy another one so I can compare.

Thanks for the advice!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Hey NP.

IMO an 8X12 is more for fun, than function. Unless you are playing stadiums without PA suppot, then you might need it.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:57 pm

PsychChris wrote:?...I'm going to repeat what you said just so I'm sure I'm not making erros.

So I plug both the 16ohm cabs in the 8ohm (at 200w), nothing more nothing less...
Correct.
PsychChris wrote:...And from what I understand is that I can plug a ppc 16ohm together with an 8ohm (let's say for instance marshall) cab without problems both in the 8ohm jacks (at 200w)?...
I would not recommend running an impedance mismatch with such a valuable and magnificent amplifier, though people seem to get away with it fairly often with many different amps. There are a lot of variables/details that will determine the likelihood of success when mismatching. I'd rather not have to agonize over them all personally.

PsychChris wrote:...(edit after 15min):
This is ridiculous, I just received a mail from someone who is willing to leave me his hp for almost the same price as I can have the ppc I was talking about...

What is your opinion or suggestion, do I go for the full stack, or do I take the hp and sell the other one. I would actually win some money if I took the hp and sold the ppc, but then again, I don't care for these couple of bucks.
I just want what's 'best'
I would get the 8-ohm PPC412-HP cab and sell the 16-ohm PPC412 cab. You would have to run an impedance mismatch to use both together, so I wouldn't bother keeping the regular cab. The HP cab was designed specifically to allow the TV200 to unleash all of its' fury without the inconvenience and excess of two cabs. The G12K-100s are more neutral than Vintage 30s, which means that the amps' voicing is responsible for all of the tonal coloration and you won't feel like you are being stabbed in the ear with a 200-watt ice pick of upper mids.