Dual dark clean settings

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

Dual dark clean settings

Post by afjungemann » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:20 am

I have been playing my TH30 combo a lot and really love the clean channel. It is just so perfect. Now I switched back to my Dual Dark 100 and I am finding it a little tough to get a similar clean. The setting I found that works decent is channel A, treble dimed, mid at about 8:30-9 o'clock and bass around 9 or so. I am playing at bedroom volume so when I get a chance to push it more I will be able to really test the settings out but it seems pretty extreme for settings.

I have almost been tempted to sell my DD and get a rockerverb. But that decision will take a lot more time of playing with it to come to. I love the DD a lot for the metal band I am in but still have that soft side too.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Re: Dual dark clean settings

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:40 pm

On the DD50 I use the B channel for cleans, as I don't play clean as much and find I can dial the dirt in better on the A channel with the three band EQ. So on the B channel for cleans, I have the tone or shift knob around 1pm to scoop the mids slightly ala Fender, gain around 9oclock, volume up. This is a pretty similar setting to what you are using on the A channel though. In my last band I would turn the gain up around 11 oclock, for a low gain grunty tone (sorta reminded me of a modern plexi) and roll off my guitar's volume for cleaner tones, then kick over to the A channel for heavy riffs. An EQ or the TC Spark in the fx loop will greatly improve the flexibility of the DD. You can sit the pedal on top of the amp with two short patch cables and just leave it on. It seems like most people think that running two extra cables for an fx loop is a huge PITA, but to me the benefits of using the loop for boosts, delays and reverbs sounds like a night and day improvement over running them into the front end of the amp.

I find that the amp sounds very different at home when I can't get the volume up compared to playing the amp at band volume. Its much darker sounding at home at lower volume. so I run the Spark boost in the loop and have the mid boost option on with the treble knob just slightly on, and it really gives me the tone I'm after on either channel: channel B for classic 70s lower gain tones (think early AC/DC) to clean and channel A for heavier Mastodon style stoner stuff. This is all with a Les Paul. I bet a good HSS strat would kill through this amp.

The other thing to think about is that Oranges respond very well to different pickups, humbuckers are gonna sound darker and dirtier than single coils or P90s (obviously).
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was just a little surprised by the settings needed to get a good chime to it. I also play les paul (as well as some semi hollow, SG, and melody maker with P90's). The P90's sound UNREAL through the amp. Absolutely awesome. I have a few strymon pedals I run through the loop so I am one of those who doesn't mind running leads out to a board.

Also, I am sure you are right about the volume. It is so hard to get a decent feel for tone at bedroom volume.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

For what its worth, I dial the bass back to around 9pm on my A channel as well for higher gain. The amp has way too much bass on tap for my taste, I wish they dialed the bass back a bit and gave the amp more "presence", but that's just my two cents.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jom

Post by jom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm

*** POST REVIVAL HERE! ***

For what it worth, I put an echoplex preamp pedal in front of the amp to enhance the clean tone. It fatten things up really nicely. Works like magic with the Dual Dark and the Tiny Terror as well. Bonus : It's beautifully dynamic in a pushed clean setting with single coils.

On the Dual Dark, I always use the B channel for my cleans mainly because I need to tweak my drive sound more than my clean.

Cheers!
Dual Dark 50
Tiny Terror
PPC412