Delay pedal suggestions ....tc electronic or way huge..

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Delay pedal suggestions ....tc electronic or way huge..

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:35 am

Hello, I'm looking to pick a delay pedal, any suggestions? Needs to versatile and under £100 and probably available on the second hand market. So far the tc electronicflash flashback is top of my list with way huge aqua puss second. Anyone using either of those? Any others I should look at? I don't want a boss DD , I've used one for years and need a change ....
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Delay pedal suggestions ....tc electronic or way huge..

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 pm

I strongly recommend the vox time machine.

Dead simple to use, and massive delay if needed, and tap tempo. Will be under your budget too 2nd hand.

A really great simple delay. I usually synch it for 1/4 beat repeats to add substance to picking parts, but obviously does slap back, and there's a song where I tap tempo the repeats on the 2nd/4 beat, on slow tempo, I end up the song with a soft picked Em (3Rd fret in Dm shape) the super delayed repeats sound great to finish off the song.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:12 pm

I own the Flashback (actually its the Alter Ego which is basically a Flashback w a fancy paintjob and a few different presets). I was mainly using the Tape setting in my last band and it worked very well in my Dual Dark effects loop as a general purpose delay sound with just the right amount of ambience. The Toneprint ability is a cool feature even if phone app can be "buggy" at times, and theres even a looper built in to the pedal (though I think the loop time is only about 20 seconds). So for versatile, I 'd say the Flashback fits the bill. I wouldn't count on the strum tempo feature though, I found it hard to use in a live setting.

Digitech's newer Obscura is also supposed to be really good, more control over how you can manipulate the repeats (darken, degrade, etc.).
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Although I really don't like TC, I will have to say that the Flashback mini is pretty cool. I was having a heck of a time locating an affordable pedal to produce a stutter effect. I discovered that TC had some fancy software to control their pedals and decided to give it a try. I can't believe how much you can do with the software. I had a stutter effect setup in a matter of minutes. I would recommend one or two of them if you need multiple delay settings.

But if you can push your budget a bit and find something used, I always recommend the Strymon stuff of course haha. You should be able to find an El Capistan used for just over 100 funny sign credits.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:27 pm

Not in England !!!! Strymon's basic pedals sell for around £180/£200 around here. The big units go around £300 2nd hand.

The flashback and aquapuss are interesting pedals, but from a live use point of view, the extra tap tempo function on the vox time machine IMO makes it a winner. Instantly synching to any song you're playing is such a positive feature, and the delay themselves sound great.

Another alternative is the way huge supapuss, but that's pretty pricey too. Even 2nd hand.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:30 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:I strongly recommend the vox time machine.

Dead simple to use, and massive delay if needed, and tap tempo. Will be under your budget too 2nd hand.

A really great simple delay. I usually synch it for 1/4 beat repeats to add substance to picking parts, but obviously does slap back, and there's a song where I tap tempo the repeats on the 2nd/4 beat, on slow tempo, I end up the song with a soft picked Em (3Rd fret in Dm shape) the super delayed repeats sound great to finish off the song.
+1 on The Time Machine. Used to own one and wish I still had it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:07 am

Jondog wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:I strongly recommend the vox time machine.

+1 on The Time Machine. Used to own one and wish I still had it.
Cool I'll check it out.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Although I really don't like TC, I will have to say that the Flashback mini is pretty cool. I was having a heck of a time locating an affordable pedal to produce a stutter effect. I discovered that TC had some fancy software to control their pedals and decided to give it a try. I can't believe how much you can do with the software. I had a stutter effect setup in a matter of minutes. I would recommend one or two of them if you need multiple delay settings.

But if you can push your budget a bit and find something used, I always recommend the Strymon stuff of course haha. You should be able to find an El Capistan used for just over 100 funny sign credits.
I'm sure the Strymon is excellent...... and I don't mind increasing the funny sign credits for something that I'll use a lot but delay I'm not a big user of only using occasionally.

As LPL says they are closer to 200 even second hand over here.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

HCW

Post by HCW » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm partial to the old BOSS DD5 myself and use a M-Audio SP-1 pedal for the tap tempo. I find it a lot easier to tap in a live setting on a low profile pedal where I can keep my heel on the floor and tap like I would if I was just tapping my foot along to the beat.

HCW

Post by HCW » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

Another alternative is the way huge supapuss, but that's pretty pricey too. Even 2nd hand.
I had a Way Huge Supa-Puss for a while, but didn't like the tap tempo on it. I even modified it by adding a 1/4" jack in parallel with the built in tap tempo switch so I could use my external pedal. The problem was that I was use to being able to tap along while playing a song on the DD5 to keep the delays in time if the tempo was pushing or pulling.... but with the way-huge, tapping changes the tempo the same way as turning the knob, i.e. the pitch changes, so if you're playing and start tapping it sounds like garbage. So on the way-huge, you have to tap in the tempo while you're not playing or you get really terrible, non-musical tuning weirdness. So I sold mine and went back to the DD5. I have a Boss Giga Delay now, which does all the detuning, self-oscillating stuff, along with a good tap tempo, but like you say, they're a little more than £100.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:13 pm

HCW wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

I had a Way Huge Supa-Puss for a while, but didn't like the tap tempo on it. I even modified it by adding a 1/4" jack in parallel with the built in tap tempo switch so I could use my external pedal. The problem was that I was use to being able to tap along while playing a song on the DD5 to keep the delays in time if the tempo was pushing or pulling.... but with the way-huge, tapping changes the tempo the same way as turning the knob, i.e. the pitch changes, so if you're playing and start tapping it sounds like garbage. So on the way-huge, you have to tap in the tempo while you're not playing or you get really terrible, non-musical tuning weirdness. So I sold mine and went back to the DD5. I have a Boss Giga Delay now, which does all the detuning, self-oscillating stuff, along with a good tap tempo, but like you say, they're a little more than £100.
I didn't know that about the supapuss.
That's what I love about my vox time Machine. The tap tempo is seamless, I sometimes amend it during songs without any weird noise whatsoever. I can still get the weird clock noises when manually turning the the delay knob.

I'll admit you get little variations with the time machine. You can get modern or vintage tone (vintage is a bit darker and rolls off the highs) and can set little oscillation too.

But they're essentially small variations on a very good delay tone.
I find the tap tempo absolutely essential. Anything beside slapback sounds pretty bad if not synchronised.
Ant

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Ronnie,

Where about's in 'the north' are you?

i've got a supa puss, aqua puss, line 6 m5 (which has all the dl4 sounds in it) an AD9, an ehx echo #1 , a flashback mini and an akai head rush.

i like 'em all for different stuff.

most versatile would have to be the line 6, as it does everything.

most mojo, probably in the ad9 and supapuss.
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 am

mr_william wrote:Ronnie,

Where about's in 'the north' are you?

i've got a supa puss, aqua puss, line 6 m5 (which has all the dl4 sounds in it) an AD9, an ehx echo #1 , a flashback mini and an akai head rush.

i like 'em all for different stuff.

most versatile would have to be the line 6, as it does everything.

most mojo, probably in the ad9 and supapuss.
Durham.

The supapuss puss is interesting and would work well , it's definitely a contender , not sure if it's too big though there's not too much space on my pedal board!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,