How to Get a Preamp Signal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ofcmaifa

How to Get a Preamp Signal

Post by ofcmaifa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:14 am

I'm trying to figure out how to get a preamp signal from my Rockerverb 100 head to send to a PA while still running my Orange cab. Any ideas?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: How to Get a Preamp Signal

Post by Jondog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:28 am

Do you mean you still want to run the cab off the amps Power amp? Or is the cab running from the PA? You might get away with an a/b/y switcher in the effects loop. Or you can run the whole amp signal to the PA with something like a Red Box or Radial JDX

ofcmaifa

Post by ofcmaifa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:25 am

Jondog wrote:Do you mean you still want to run the cab off the amps Power amp? Or is the cab running from the PA? You might get away with an a/b/y switcher in the effects loop. Or you can run the whole amp signal to the PA with something like a Red Box or Radial JDX
Yes I still want to run the cab off the Rockerverb and just send a signal to a PA

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 pm

If you really want the tone of your amp to come through the PA (rather than some canned, lifeless version of it) you should mic your cabinet and run that to the PA. A DI from the amp output will sound okay, but less lively than a mic, and the preamp out will sound even less lively than the amp's speaker out.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Mic'ing can sound best, but can also be very inconsistent.

This thing sounds pretty good:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDX48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:25 pm

I haven't tried it with mine yet, but I just discovered that you can take a speaker out (up to 400 watts) and run it into the Avalon U-5. You still have to have a speaker cab connected but it's a possible other way out. Expensive tho

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... eamplifier

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Mesa cab clone will do that too. I had one briefly but my R30 had to be completely cranked to get a decent level in the headphones as it didn't have a preamp built in. If you are just using it for a stage "DI" it should work just fine.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:24 pm

As mentioned above, I've used the Radial JDX for the last few years and they sound great with my Oranges. Micing a cab can probably sound better if you find the perfect mic and placement but I don't have that kind of time and patience for the gigs I play. The JDX sounds very similar to a miced cab, it's consistent and with a little Eq at the board the audience won't know the difference. If you can swing the JDX 48 it can run off phantom power vs needing an extra outlet

The Avalon is another one but I haven't tried it. I believe I read that it's been in heavy rotation for some studio bassists.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:22 am

The jet city jettenuator is an attenuator with a line out too. I believe it can act as a load box too.

Mind you I think it's rated for only 80w.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:24 am

Just mic the cab? It takes about 20 seconds...the sweet spot is always half way between the edge of one speaker and the center of it's cone, slightly facing inwards toward the center (about 5°-10° angle). Best is if you wrap the mic with foam rubber or similar to block all directions except straight from the speaker.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Wendigo wrote:Best is if you wrap the mic with foam rubber or similar to block all directions except straight from the speaker.
Or use a Shure 57 which is directional....

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Yeah I was assuming the SM57 but still, to isolate it, the foam cant hurt. :)

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:17 pm

And if you're REALLY picky about the sound you're sending to the FOH then buy an isolation-cab and set it up so it's always ready to go.

Another option is to get an ABY pedal/box and use something with a cab-sim output on the second output, like the Bax Banguitar.