Power Conditioner Bar/Strip?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Power Conditioner Bar/Strip?

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Hello Everyone,

The power in my house is very noisy. I sometimes hear a helicopter coming out of my R30 :D While that is amusing to me at times, I would like to get my power cleaned up. I see there are dozens of the rack mount variety, but I'm looking for something portable in bar format.

I found the Furman SS6B, but it seems like a standard surge protector with some filters for hum removal. I also saw a few different bars by Monster, but they just seem to be power filters as well.

Anyone know if there is a proper power conditioner in power bar format?

Thanks!

caldurham
Rocker

Re: Power Conditioner Bar/Strip?

Post by caldurham » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 pm

furman makes a few different bar/strip power conditioners. here is one of them at guitar center http://www.guitarcenter.com/Furman/PST- ... ductDetail

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Have you looked at the Furman PST-8?:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PST8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a PST-6 as well:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... onditioner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you looking for something that provides a constant voltage output in a bar format?

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:02 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Are you looking for something that provides a constant voltage output in a bar format?

-Nick
yeah if you're looking for something like this they make smaller UPS systems that are strip and or bar shaped but they are rather thick or tall ... but that does about everything to give you clean even protected power.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Just looking for something to clean up my noise a bit. My new looper pedal is a bit microphonic, and the first thing the company said is "what kind of power conditioner do you have?" I have tons of nice gear and it seems to be getting louder and louder hah. Figured I would try one out and see if it made any improvements.

What I did remember is that I had a APC UPS in my office that wasn't hooked up. I looked up the model number and it apparently has power conditioning, and sine wave correction or something like that. I just set it up with my pedalboard, and amps plugged into a power bar, then into the conditioner... It honestly sounds the same haha. Could be the power bar I'm using I suppose. Actually, yea I'll eliminate that and see how it goes.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Well removed the power bar and same noise. I'll check out the Furman PST-6. Looks like it should do the trick thanks.

HCW

Post by HCW » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I use a Furman AC-215A. My band played a fair amount of outdoor gigs, and had a gas generator's noisy power mess up a bunch of our amps. I did some research and ended up buying the AC-215A as protection. Haven't had any problems since, and I swear the amp sounds better plugged into it regardless of where I'm playing.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:00 pm

That one looks decent TBH. Nice and portable. I'm curious if you run a power bar out of the outlets? If so does it add "noise"?

HCW

Post by HCW » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:That one looks decent TBH. Nice and portable. I'm curious if you run a power bar out of the outlets? If so does it add "noise"?
Live I just plug my amp into one outlet and my effects board to the other, but I have another AC-215A I keep at home that I plug all my amps and recording gear, computer, etc into. It has two large power strips plugged into it with no added noise. Infact, I definitely notice added noise on my tube amps when I don't use it and plug straight into a wall outlet.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:41 pm

I've had a Furman PL-Plus since the late 80's. It's dutifully done its thing for many years although once it stopped working. I brought it in to my amp tech, he opened it up, and said "Yeah, it did what it was supposed to do." Apparently, it absorbed a large voltage spike and protected my gear. When he fixed it, he told me that when he contacted Furman for a schematic and described the inside it seems to be a very early Furman!

I just recently replaced it (for my guitar amp and rack) as well as the Furman for my PA with newer Furman PL-Plus C's. A little more modern....

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:03 am

I know it's not quite what you're asking for OP but I thought I would post this. One of the best pieces of gear I've purchased for my live rig is a Furman P-1800-AR. It's not a voltage conditioner, it's a voltage regulator and there's a really big difference. Now, I have no idea if it will fix your electrical issues though.

For anyone who's gigged out and got into a room and your tube amp just sounded off it very well could be the room, but it might be the voltage from old or bad wiring from the venue too. I remember one placed we played at my rig would just sound great to wtf, back to great over the 4 hours we played. After doing some research I decided to not only protect my rig from voltage spikes but to actually regulate the voltage, which means the P-1800-AR will take any voltage from the wall between 110v -135v (or a range close to that) and put out 120v. That made a big difference in consistency in not only my sound but everyone elses in the band as we all pulled from that source. We've never had an issue pulling off of one outlet with it and it actually fixed a few ground loops we would get through the PA when we plugged everyone into the Furman.

The last bit is that I've played some "irregular" outdoor gigs in the past, with some pretty long run extension cords. In running long (200-300ft) there can be a pretty significant drop in voltage. I don't know what the result would have been without it but with it I've never had a problem.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:24 am

I always bring an outlet tester with me to gigs in my guitar tools briefcase, and check the outlets before plugging in. I've found a number of ungrounded outlets over the years and even hot/neutral switched.

With the Furman PL-Pluses you can see the visual readout of the voltage on the front and know what you're dealing with. I've done gigs where I've seen the voltage dip as we're going along dramatically from 115V - 88V!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:04 pm

bclaire wrote:I always bring an outlet tester with me to gigs in my guitar tools briefcase, and check the outlets before plugging in. I've found a number of ungrounded outlets over the years and even hot/neutral switched.

With the Furman PL-Pluses you can see the visual readout of the voltage on the front and know what you're dealing with. I've done gigs where I've seen the voltage dip as we're going along dramatically from 115V - 88V!
I forgot about the tester. They're under $10 and is an extremely useful tool. I have one permanently in my gig tool bag.

That voltage swing is crazy! How did your amp sound in that or is it a voltage regulator?
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:That voltage swing is crazy! How did your amp sound in that or is it a voltage regulator?
It was awful. We were at an outdoor gig and the power had something else running off of it. Amps sounded like crap.

Another outdoor gig we did had power drops as soon as the sun set and lights came on. That's when I discovered that twin channel AD amps won't channel switch below a certain voltage - they stay in channel 2. I bring a generator for myself to this gig now...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 am

bclaire wrote:
Thinline_slim wrote:That voltage swing is crazy! How did your amp sound in that or is it a voltage regulator?
It was awful. We were at an outdoor gig and the power had something else running off of it. Amps sounded like crap.

Another outdoor gig we did had power drops as soon as the sun set and lights came on. That's when I discovered that twin channel AD amps won't channel switch below a certain voltage - they stay in channel 2. I bring a generator for myself to this gig now...

That sounds crazy!!!!! Never knew the relay needed a minimum voltage!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute