Micro Dark on a 2x12 cab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rcypriano

Micro Dark on a 2x12 cab

Post by rcypriano » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Hey people,
After watching A LOT of videos on youtube, i want to buy an Micro Dark. It sounds amazing, but I there's one thing I'm not quite sure: how loud it plays.
Since it's an hybrid, I'm a little insecure. There's nowhere in my state for me to test it and I'll have to buy from outside the country, I guess. I have a 2x12 cab. Would it go for a concert with a band in a bar?

These things are expensive here in Brazil, so I wanna make it right, not buy and have to trade after a week :/

rcypriano

Re: Micro Dark on a 2x12 cab

Post by rcypriano » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm

oh, yeah.. my drummer is a freaking gorilla.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Your question is subjective and is a matter of opinion. I have a Micro Dark paired up with a 1-12 cabinet. It's plenty loud enough for me. If you want it so loud your ears bleed well you might want something with more than 20 watts.

rcypriano

Post by rcypriano » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Martin Maniac wrote:Your question is subjective and is a matter of opinion. I have a Micro Dark paired up with a 1-12 cabinet. It's plenty loud enough for me. If you want it so loud your ears bleed well you might want something with more than 20 watts.
20w is enough, but people are telling me an hybrid won't be as loud as an all-tube...
In your 1x12 cab, would you use it live? In a place for like, 100 people?

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Yup... have one as my back-up and when my rv mkll failed me mid gig I got to give it a try.

We're a 5 piece with 2 guitars, bass, drums and both female and male singers so we pretty much take the whole eq range. Worked great for rocknroll with a little left to give. All the string players in the band were overwhelmed and gave it 2 thumbs up
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:45 pm

rcypriano wrote:
Martin Maniac wrote:Your question is subjective and is a matter of opinion. I have a Micro Dark paired up with a 1-12 cabinet. It's plenty loud enough for me. If you want it so loud your ears bleed well you might want something with more than 20 watts.
20w is enough, but people are telling me an hybrid won't be as loud as an all-tube...
In your 1x12 cab, would you use it live? In a place for like, 100 people?

I play for about 50-100 twice a week. I would have no problem using the Micro Dark amp and my Marshall 1 12" cabinet. It would be plenty loud enough to fill the room with sound. However right now we're just playing acoustically with a P.A. for vocals. So I am not using it to play out with. I am just using it for my home studio for practicing. It's got all the volume I need and sounds great at low volume too. If I took it out and played at half volume, they'd tell me to turn it down.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:38 pm

rcypriano wrote:oh, yeah.. my drummer is a freaking gorilla.
That would worry me a bit. I played with a drummer once who hit so hard a Marshall Superlead was barely loud enough! But then again, he was a REAL heavy hitter...

The Micro Terror is really loud for its size....

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 am

I have both the Micro Terror and Micro Dark. I think they are both about as loud with distortion, but I think the Micro Terror is much louder clean. You can get a good clean sound with the Micro Dark, but won't be as loud.

On the other hand, the Micro Dark has better and more distortion, but still not as much as the OR15. If you crank the gain on the Micro Dark, it sounds like '70s Marshall with the gain cranked, not like a modern Marshall with the crank gained, if that makes sense. I haven't tried a very high gain tube to see if this will somewhat change the situation.

The Micro Dark has a scooped sound (good for a metal sound), Micro Terror has a lot of mids and the distortion is not as strong. I don't know what your needs are.

Also you will hear the amp better if you set up the cab vertically.