How to clean Orange tolex

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

AT93

How to clean Orange tolex

Post by AT93 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 am

Hi guys, I need your help.

I've bought a used Rockerverb presenting blacks signs (black rubber of another head resting on it) and do not know how to eliminate them.

I tried it with cloth + degreaser, cloth + spray glass cleaner, brush teeth + degreaser and spray, acetone ... nothing.

What do you use? I would not spoil the tolex, of course, but do not really know what to do.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: How to clean Orange tolex

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:04 pm

The best results I've had where with using baby wipes.

They are the best cleaning stuff ever invented. But some marks still don't fully come off.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 pm

"Armor All" cleaning wipes for car interiors is my solution...

cos that baby is now 30...yikes
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 pm

AT93 wrote:Hi guys, I need your help.

I've bought a used Rockerverb presenting blacks signs (black rubber of another head resting on it) and do not know how to eliminate them.

I tried it with cloth + degreaser, cloth + spray glass cleaner, brush teeth + degreaser and spray, acetone ... nothing.

What do you use? I would not spoil the tolex, of course, but do not really know what to do.
I'd even try an eraser....

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:26 pm

VERY VERY light touch with a magic eraser for the stubborn stuff. For the other stuff, I put a bit of dish soap in warm water, dipped the paper towel in, then performed a twisting motion :)

Takes a bit longer, but does a good job. I managed to get some Orange amp foot rubber marks off my R30C when I got it using this method. I only used the magic eraser for a stain that wouldn't come off.

AT93

Post by AT93 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Thank you guys for these answers, I'll try and let you know!

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:34 pm

For cleaning plastic parts on a car, I was told to use smooth peanut butter, just a little dab on a rag or paper towel, does the trick of restoring the plastic back to the original finish. I didn't believe it and thought it was a joke, but I tried it and man what a difference, it worked great !! You might want to try that on the Orange Tolex.

AT93

Post by AT93 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Then, at the end I tried with other degreasers and sponge for dishes. The dirt is removed ( but not completely ) but tolex was a bit ' smoothed (not more rough as before ) , so I let remain as is it now.
If in the future I want to buy the original orange tolex, where should I buy it?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:06 am

Boy_Narf wrote:VERY VERY light touch with a magic eraser for the stubborn stuff. For the other stuff, I put a bit of dish soap in warm water, dipped the paper towel in, then performed a twisting motion :)

Takes a bit longer, but does a good job. I managed to get some Orange amp foot rubber marks off my R30C when I got it using this method. I only used the magic eraser for a stain that wouldn't come off.
This is what i'd recommend as well.
Martin Maniac wrote:For cleaning plastic parts on a car, I was told to use smooth peanut butter, just a little dab on a rag or paper towel, does the trick of restoring the plastic back to the original finish. I didn't believe it and thought it was a joke, but I tried it and man what a difference, it worked great !! You might want to try that on the Orange Tolex.
Peanut butter is a temporary solution on plastic and not appropriate for tolex. The peanut oil is just soaking into the plastic and will eventually fade again. It can also attract animals or insects, which personally isn't something i'd want to do for an amp.

For some plastics, you can use a heat gun to bring it back to like new condition. But it doesn't work with every plastic, and you have to be VERY careful with using heat. The best thing i've found is to properly clean the plastic, as you're often seeing dirt or wax that appears to be fading in the plastic. I start with a water based cleaner and use a soft brush to gently work it in, especially if the plastic is textured. Then pat with a microfiber towel until dry.

For exterior plastics on cars, use a wax remover (available at any auto parts store), which will strip off wax that makes the plastic appear faded. It will also take off road grime and tar.

Unfortunately, sometimes plastic is just faded, either from UV damage or chemical degradation. In those cases, you can continually apply products designed to make it look newer or use home remedies like peanut butter or shoe polish. But they're all temporary. In these cases, i've found a better solution is to use a product that dyes the plastic black again, or to paint it with a trim paint. I like Forever black for a dye. It's tough to work with and can be streaky, but looks great with proper application. I like SEM trim paint to repaint trim. That's my preferred option for faded plastic.

Just my 2 cents from doing a lot of auto detailing.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:06 am

Similar to the practice of medicine, you most importantly want to do no further damage with whatever you do. I personally would NOT use a heat gun anywhere near the tolex, and you're liable to melt a nice big hole or have a big warp section of plastic that'll look 100 time worse than what you have now....personally, I leave it alone and just live with it.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

My house was built in 1833 and i run an annual battle with mice..

I have been highly successful so far but they would gain a massive psychological boost if they ate my amps..
Martin Maniac wrote:For cleaning plastic parts on a car, I was told to use smooth peanut butter, just a little dab on a rag or paper towel, does the trick of restoring the plastic back to the original finish. I didn't believe it and thought it was a joke, but I tried it and man what a difference, it worked great !! You might want to try that on the Orange Tolex.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:59 am

Mystic38 wrote:My house was built in 1833 and i run an annual battle with mice..

I have been highly successful so far but they would gain a massive psychological boost if they ate my amps..
Think of the tone Mystic.

After they will have devoured your Orange power, just plug your guitar straight into one. It will sound apocalyptic !!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bhurst462

Post by bhurst462 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 am

I called Orange tech support and asked the same question. They suggested Simple Green. They said they use it themselves. I tried it and it works like a champ.
Orange AD140 HTC
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Orange Cabs
Splawn Cabs

"previous Orange's - OR100, OR50, Rocker 30, AD30HTC, TH30, Rockerverb, Tiny Terror "

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm

bhurst462 wrote:I called Orange tech support and asked the same question. They suggested Simple Green. They said they use it themselves. I tried it and it works like a champ.
i never would have thought about simple green. but after you mentioning it it makes perfect sense. that stuff is very good and safe for a lot of surface types.

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 am

Orange juice, pulp free, works quite well.