How to clean Orange tolex

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

AT93

Re: How to clean Orange tolex

Post by AT93 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 pm

caldurham wrote:
bhurst462 wrote:I called Orange tech support and asked the same question. They suggested Simple Green. They said they use it themselves. I tried it and it works like a champ.
i never would have thought about simple green. but after you mentioning it it makes perfect sense. that stuff is very good and safe for a lot of surface types.
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:08 am

You might try acetone (finger nail polish remover). I used it to clean some rubberized fabric similar to tolex and it worked well. Made the rubber feel a little sticky for a while but got back to normal after it dried out. Test it in an inconspicuous place first!
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:18 am

Sooner wrote:You might try acetone (finger nail polish remover). I used it to clean some rubberized fabric similar to tolex and it worked well. Made the rubber feel a little sticky for a while but got back to normal after it dried out. Test it in an inconspicuous place first!

Acetone is pretty aggressive on some plastics and will happily melt them away. Probably why your vinyl felt tacky for a while after.

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Guys, do try baby wipes. Amazing how well they work'!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sooner wrote:You might try acetone (finger nail polish remover). I used it to clean some rubberized fabric similar to tolex and it worked well. Made the rubber feel a little sticky for a while but got back to normal after it dried out. Test it in an inconspicuous place first!

Acetone is pretty aggressive on some plastics and will happily melt them away. Probably why your vinyl felt tacky for a while after.

I hear there are some pretty bad ingredients in baby wipes too: https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/hidden-in ... aby-wipes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:P
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Sooner wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

I hear there are some pretty bad ingredients in baby wipes too: https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/hidden-in ... aby-wipes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:P
Ah ah ah!!!! There's bad stuff in everything these days. :lol:

Still, I'd rather use the minute unsafe quantities of whatever I wipe my kids but with than pure acetone.

Anyway..... I might well have to try that soon... I have my eyes on an OR50, and it is FILTHY.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: Ah ah ah!!!! There's bad stuff in everything these days. :lol:

Still, I'd rather use the minute unsafe quantities of whatever I wipe my kids but with than pure acetone.

Anyway..... I might well have to try that soon... I have my eyes on an OR50, and it is FILTHY.
Pics of OR50!

The OR80 I just bought was filthy when I got it. 30 minutes with a toothbrush and a bowl of warm water with hand soap, and it literally looks brand new. You don't need much, I agree with staying away from harsh cleaners.

Here's the thing about cleaning products. When you smell that "clean" smell, you're smelling the product still on the surface. When you wash your dishes and they smell like soap, it's because there's still soap on them. When you wash your clothes and they smell nice, it's because there's detergent in them.

Personally, I use the smallest amount of the least intrusive cleaning product I can use to get results. I try to avoid leaving product on the surface that can degrade it over time. If I can use pure water, I will. But it's not often you need more than a mild soap and warm water.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm

AT93 wrote: I tried it with cloth + degreaser, cloth + spray glass cleaner, brush teeth + degreaser and spray, acetone ... nothing.
Just re-read your post. If acetone didn't work my guess is nothing will.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Try an ordinary scrubby kitchen sponge and water. I successfully removed a white spray painted band name off my Marshall head when I got it with just that. No cleaning solutions, no nothing!
Thunderverb 50

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:37 pm

pedecamp wrote:Try an ordinary scrubby kitchen sponge and water. I successfully removed a white spray painted band name off my Marshall head when I got it with just that. No cleaning solutions, no nothing!
Not even a little deoxit ?
Ant

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:29 pm

If it's a stain left from having rubber feet touch the tolex for a long time it's probably a chemical reaction colored deep into the tolex and you're SOL.
Orange OR100
White LW100

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Dear God, please do NOT use those Magic erasers on anything. They are complete rubbish and remove paint and other finishes from walls and metal. Nail polish remover is caustic and so is rubbing alcohol so just don't.
Try the baby wipes as others have said, Sparkle(which is vinegar based) Armor All or Armor All wipes and any other numerous products for detailing the interior of your car before using kitchen cleansers and laundry gimmicks.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:37 pm
pedecamp wrote:Try an ordinary scrubby kitchen sponge and water. I successfully removed a white spray painted band name off my Marshall head when I got it with just that. No cleaning solutions, no nothing!
Not even a little deoxit ?
No silly! :lol:
Thunderverb 50

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 am

I can confirm the simple green. A little elbow grease shines mine nicely.
My cat loves the Orange tone!