Cabinet for Dark Terror.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

tangerine

Cabinet for Dark Terror.

Post by tangerine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi I have had this amp for some years now and should first share what cabinets I have used/own and my observations
1.Epiphone Valve Jr. 1x12 replaced stock speaker with an Eminence 'Private Jack"
2. Bugera 4x12. I don't know why it has taken me so long
to determine the Bugera has to go but it has to.
The Epi cab is being used by 1 or 2 of my other tube amps so I am looking at either a 1x12 or 2x12 and that is a decision I'll have to make
In some ways want a 2x12 as downsizing from a 4x12 less painful, however I could go 1x12 and add another down the road. Not
playing in a band currently but do like and appreciate great tone and some air getting pushed.
I find that the DT with the Bugera is way too Dark, muddy and needs an eq in the loop. Probably a combination of the tonality of
the amp and the inferior quality of the cab. Sounds pretty good thru the 1x12 but keeping all options open.
I was looking at the obvious Orange 1x12 and 2x12 cabs and see they are loaded with Vintage 30's and those speakers have many detractors
as harsh and shrill. Anyone with experience with this amp or one close to it using these Orange cabs both closed or open?
What other brands are you using with some positive experiences. I am really not very close to a store to audition one. For
a moment I thought about putting decent speakers in the Bugera, but that might be polishing a turd. Any comments appreciated.

Martin Maniac

Re: Cabinet for Dark Terror.

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:13 pm

I have a Micro Dark Terror amp. I'm using a Marshall MHZ112A 1-12" cabinet loaded with a G12T-75 Celestion speaker. Sounds great, even at very low volume levels. I just recently got this setup and am very happy with it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I wouldn't dismiss the V30 if you've not tried one ......and even better if you've got 2 or a mix with that and another speaker.

But I'd make sure you get a used well broken in one - yes brand new ones can be really harsh but a broken in one is quite different. There's a reason why Orange use the V30s in their cabinets.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 pm

I've only tried the dark terror once with the Orange PPC112, it sounded great.

I imagine it would only around better with the PPC212.

I'm a big fan of the V30 personally.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

tangerine

Post by tangerine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I wouldn't dismiss the V30 if you've not tried one ......and even better if you've got 2 or a mix with that and another speaker.

But I'd make sure you get a used well broken in one - yes brand new ones can be really harsh but a broken in one is quite different. There's a reason why Orange use the V30s in their cabinets.
Cool, yes some have mentioned the same about break in. BTW about how long/how much use does it take for the V30's to break in? I want a new cab so can deal with this issue just hope it isn't terribly long. Now i am thinking the PPC112 closed back. Using it with the Private Jack in the Epi semi-open the DT still retains
lowend yet I still use a EQ in the loop to manage it . Be nice to have a cab that aesthetically matches the amp, instead of what I have going on with the other amps/cab

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:46 am

I have no experience with the V30 speaker so I can't say yay or nay. My experience is with the G12T-75. I like that one because it's rated at 75 watts, which means I don't have to worry about frying it with my 20 watt Micro Dark amp. Somebody said it's a good idea to have the wattage rating of your speaker to be double the wattage rating of your amp. I just got finished dealing with a blown speaker, it's no fun. So I'll stick with the safe rating of 75 watts of the G12T-75 speaker.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 pm

I happen to be a fan and user of Private Jack speakers in my current cabs. That said, the Orange cabs are great, V30 speakers and all. I'm not a V30 fan, but they sound excellent in the Orange cabs. I think it must be due to the solidity of the construction and the thick grill cloth. Orange cabs don't sound spiky to me. I'm just going by my experience playing them in the store, though, because I can't afford new cabs.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

tangerine

Post by tangerine » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:19 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:I happen to be a fan and user of Private Jack speakers in my current cabs. That said, the Orange cabs are great, V30 speakers and all. I'm not a V30 fan, but they sound excellent in the Orange cabs. I think it must be due to the solidity of the construction and the thick grill cloth. Orange cabs don't sound spiky to me. I'm just going by my experience playing them in the store, though, because I can't afford new cabs.
Thanks, the good thing is if I get the Orange 1x12 it has a jack out for another 16 ohm cab so I can test out the Epi-"Private Jack" cab and
how well that blend satisfies. Makes the idea of going with the 1x12 over a 2x12 not only initially less expensive but leaves some options open on a second 1x12