Orange Master

Re: Need help switching between gain settings on an OR15

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Volume Pedal?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Or if you have money the burn the Evolution Orange Under drive looks interesting. I've also used my old Wampler OD in reverse to lower the gain, as I preferred the gain sound from my amp compared to the pedal boosting it.

The best option IMO :) would be to get another OR15. Re-wire a 212 into stereo and run one slightly cleaner than the other.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Or if you have money the burn the Evolution Orange Under drive looks interesting. I've also used my old Wampler OD in reverse to lower the gain, as I preferred the gain sound from my amp compared to the pedal boosting it.

The best option IMO :) would be to get another OR15. Re-wire a 212 into stereo and run one slightly cleaner than the other.

This has got to be THE definitive answer to a large number of questions. Just get another amp. :lol:

I just can't go along with the volume knob advice. It works in some cases, I've used it myself, but if you are strumming / picking constantly is some songs it just doesn't work.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Yes it can be tricky. Does a volume pedal not do the same thing? Sure it adds a pedal to the chain but gets you to the same place right?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm afraid you can't escape the physics of the lower powered value amp played with gain at high volume but you could compromise with lowering the gain as low as you can get away and mixing this with using the guitar volume and using a treble boost or good quality boost but how much volume you get will depend on how loud you playing and h ow much gain your using.....if I take my TT to practice it's always of a struggle to get much volume boost when the amp sounds good overdriven.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Yes I gave up on this a while back. Just have to realise a 15 watt Orange amp is not designed to be played clean/hairy at low volumes. I picked up a 40 watt Traynor head and an A/B box. Solved all of my problems.

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Maybe set the OR15 to clean and pick up a Bax Bangeetar for dirt & solo boost? I don't use any of the knobs on my guitars... they're all full blast all the time. Personally, I use a volume pedal. The JHS modded Ernie Ball VP Jr is amazing.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Yes I gave up on this a while back. Just have to realise a 15 watt Orange amp is not designed to be played clean/hairy at low volumes. I picked up a 40 watt Traynor head and an A/B box. Solved all of my problems.

At least you are consistent - all problems are solved by a new amp.

Hey, I wasn't sure I had a problem today, but just in case there might be one, I picked up a Laney Lionheart 20w head. Just in case. And a matching laney PPC212, because you're just never really sure when the problem could arise. And an attenuator. But I'm just not sure how that fits in this story. :oops:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Beexter

Post by Beexter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:50 pm

HBE Detox EQ?

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guita ... -eq-603398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 pm

EHX signal pad. A passive atenuator between guitar and amp. Set amp for high gain and set the signal pad at a lower volume. Just like the volume knob on your guitar. Switch on and off for low and high. Or a volume pedal, but not as quick and accurate.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 pm

So after much testing, I have come to realize that my SoulFood, EQ, and crunch box are not going to work for me. The CB adds too much mush and the SF and EQ do not add enough gain for my application. I think it may be due to the fact that there is not much headroom in the OR15. After considering other pedals, I decided to save my $ and learn to use the guitar's vol knob instead since the pedal route doesn't seem to be a much better solution. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm

mj6thbuif wrote:So after much testing, I have come to realize that my SoulFood, EQ, and crunch box are not going to work for me. The CB adds too much mush and the SF and EQ do not add enough gain for my application. I think it may be due to the fact that there is not much headroom in the OR15. After considering other pedals, I decided to save my $ and learn to use the guitar's vol knob instead since the pedal route doesn't seem to be a much better solution. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.
That sounds like a great idea.

Have a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And check this out. Not an OR-15, but look at what he does with the Tiny Terror. It's easy to see how to move the knob on the fly...
https://youtu.be/VVOwCBScxw0?t=339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

AryaS
Tiny Terror

Post by AryaS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:44 pm

I have been facing similar issues with my OR15, I am learning to use the volume control, more so since i love the amp's distortion than of any pedals i have tried with the amp so far.

This is teaching me something here, I plan to have an alternative approach, since I removed the stock V1 tube in my amp from 12AX7 to an ECC82, which is much lower gain in nature, I've got some more headroom to play with and that also has substantially lowered the overall gain my amp delivers now. What I used to get at 12oClock, i get now with the gain pot at full.

I keep my amp at about 2oclock, and use the Soul Food as a boost, with the gain at 2. gets me an really nice and bright on the edge of break up tone, with the guitar volume at about 7, and I push it from there, I have a Flex Drive that I use to push the gain up, if i forget or find it tough to turn the volume knob on the guitar. and have another DIY boost that gives me that extra solo boost, if needed....

IDK if this helps, but though would share...
Ibanez FRM100TR
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Brown (50's Wired)
Faith Apollo Neptune w/ LR Baggs Lyric System
Washburn HB-35, MIJ

Rockitt Retro 50 - 1968 Lead Spec
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Fender Blues Junior (1997)
Gibson GA-5

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 am

AryaS wrote:I have been facing similar issues with my OR15, I am learning to use the volume control, more so since i love the amp's distortion than of any pedals i have tried with the amp so far.

This is teaching me something here, I plan to have an alternative approach, since I removed the stock V1 tube in my amp from 12AX7 to an ECC82, which is much lower gain in nature, I've got some more headroom to play with and that also has substantially lowered the overall gain my amp delivers now. What I used to get at 12oClock, i get now with the gain pot at full.

I keep my amp at about 2oclock, and use the Soul Food as a boost, with the gain at 2. gets me an really nice and bright on the edge of break up tone, with the guitar volume at about 7, and I push it from there, I have a Flex Drive that I use to push the gain up, if i forget or find it tough to turn the volume knob on the guitar. and have another DIY boost that gives me that extra solo boost, if needed....

IDK if this helps, but though would share...
It´s a good way to lower the gain amount. So you can better work with booster and OD pedals. That´s why I preferred my Dual Terror instead of the OR15. The DT has less gain and works better for me with pedals and the volume knob of my guitars.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 pm

not sure what guitar you have but if you find that you lose top end when rolling off the volume knob, consider adding a treble bleed circuit
mj6thbuif wrote:So after much testing, I have come to realize that my SoulFood, EQ, and crunch box are not going to work for me. The CB adds too much mush and the SF and EQ do not add enough gain for my application. I think it may be due to the fact that there is not much headroom in the OR15. After considering other pedals, I decided to save my $ and learn to use the guitar's vol knob instead since the pedal route doesn't seem to be a much better solution. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***