Micro Dark's effect loop..WOW !!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Martin Maniac

Micro Dark's effect loop..WOW !!

Post by Martin Maniac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 am

So I've got this really nice pedal effects board put together with lots of effects. I tried plugging my guitar into them and chained it into the Micro Dark. It sounded okay but not great, something was distorting my signal and I couldn't get a good clean tone unless I plugged the guitar directly into the amp. Then I thought what if I tried using the effects loop on the Micro Dark amp...so I ran the send output to the input of the pedal board, and the output of the pedal board to the return input on the MD...HUGE DIFFERENCE !! The effects all sound soooo much better and the guitar has it's nice clean tone back minus the distortion !! I don't know why this is happening but there must be something different in the send/return circuitry that's making a difference, some sort of impedance mismatch with the amp and pedals.......it was very noticeable right away. All the effects sound soo much better, right in your face reverb, delay compression...nice tone on the guitar...very happy.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Micro Dark's effect loop..WOW !!

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 am

A proper effects loop attenuated the signal down and then boosts it back up before it hits the power amp. Reverbs and delays always sounded better in a loop to me.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:18 am

I've tried using effects loops on other amps and never noticed much of a difference. This amp is a different story. It sounds great...I tried running my acoustic guitar into and got a very nice clean tone. The effects on the acoustic sound great !!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Yeah, reverb pedals especially in front of the amp can really mess the sound unless you keep it all clean.

Glad you're enjoying!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:59 am

I just not enjoying it, I'm loving it !! The Micro Dark with the G12T-75 Celestion speaker in the Marshall cabinet has taken over my home studio. I'm getting so many great tones, at all volume levels. Great distortions, great cleans...sounds great at very low volume too !! This set up is just working out so well for me, and now the effect pedals I have sound better than ever. This rig is just what I needed for playing my electric guitars. For acoustic guitars, I still go to the Fender SFX Acoustic pro, but they sound really good thru the MD/Marshall too.