What OD pedal for my CR120H

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Darkstar

What OD pedal for my CR120H

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

I am looking for something that i can click on and get a much more brutal, thicker guitar tone. This would probably be used mostly when i am playing metal and want something really thick for chuggy parts. Suggestions on pedals and settings for my head?

shupe13
Tiny Terror

Re: What OD pedal for my CR120H

Post by shupe13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Catlinbread Sabbra Cadabra
2015 Gibson LP Studio
2015 Gibson LPM
2015 Gibson LP Junior

Orange Crush CR60 Pro

Orange Amplification - My daily dose of vitamin C!

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm

What about something for like a Mastodon type sound?

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Are you planning to use an overdrive to boost the gain on the CR dirty channel? Or do you plan to use a standalone distortion through the clean channel? Most CR users find the dirty channel to be quite nice, so maybe you can just use a Tubescreamer or SD1 style pedal to boost and tighten the sound. Up through Leviathan, Brent Hinds used a Tubescreamer into a JMP 2203.

For a standalone distortion into a clean channel, I have played precious few pedals that have satisfied me. The new MXR 5150 overdrive is really nice, and Catalinbread stuff sounds pretty convincing. Not sure which Catalinbread pedal will do the brutal stuff best. I read, at one point, that Bill Kelleher used an Ibanez Tube King pedal, but I don't think that was his main tone.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:Are you planning to use an overdrive to boost the gain on the CR dirty channel? Or do you plan to use a standalone distortion through the clean channel? Most CR users find the dirty channel to be quite nice, so maybe you can just use a Tubescreamer or SD1 style pedal to boost and tighten the sound. Up through Leviathan, Brent Hinds used a Tubescreamer into a JMP 2203.

For a standalone distortion into a clean channel, I have played precious few pedals that have satisfied me. The new MXR 5150 overdrive is really nice, and Catalinbread stuff sounds pretty convincing. Not sure which Catalinbread pedal will do the brutal stuff best. I read, at one point, that Bill Kelleher used an Ibanez Tube King pedal, but I don't think that was his main tone.

I am planning to boost the gain on the overdrive channel. I like the distortion that the amp itself has, i just want to push it more for parts that require the extra umph. I was thinking a tubescreamer or something might do it. I tried
Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Overdrive Pedal but i am just not getting the quality and tone i expected. Maybe cause its a cheaper clone pedal. What do you think about something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TS ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I've heard that the JF02 is a clone of the OCD. The OCD is a fine pedal, but maybe not the best for your application. I've never tried to use one into a gained up amp before. A TS style pedal streamlines the lows a bit and smooths the highs, so you get a tighter bass response and more refined top end. The OCD has a bit more girth to the lows and might make a heavily distorted amp more loose sounding.

I haven't tried the mini TS yet. I imagine it sounds just fine compared to the standard TS. Anyone here tried both side by side?
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

BlackArrow

Post by BlackArrow » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 pm

I am boosting the dirty channel of my CR120 with a Moog MF Drive pedal (found for cheap as a 2nd hand) on a low gain setting.
That works perfectly for achieving a fat stoner-metal sound :) :)

scottjpsmith

Post by scottjpsmith » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Whats up Darkstar! The Protone Dead Horse Overdrive Pedal sounds awesome with the CR120. Philip Theobald's uses this setup in all of his metal covers on youtube, and Ryan "Fluff" Bruce's uses it in his review of the CR120 on Youtube as well.

Philip Theobald https https://youtu.be/_v-h07QGPo8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan "Fluff" Bruce https://youtu.be/VgrRg8DVBz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!
Orange Gear: Rockerverb50 MKII, OR50 40th Anniversary, AD30TC, Crush 35RT, Fur Coat Fuzz, 10' Cable

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:22 pm

scottjpsmith wrote:Whats up Darkstar! The Protone Dead Horse Overdrive Pedal sounds awesome with the CR120. Philip Theobald's uses this setup in all of his metal covers on youtube, and Ryan "Fluff" Bruce's uses it in his review of the CR120 on Youtube as well.

Philip Theobald https https://youtu.be/_v-h07QGPo8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan "Fluff" Bruce https://youtu.be/VgrRg8DVBz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!
I actually saw that and was considering that pedal as well. Thanks for the heads up though. I need to watch Philips video too.

pwrknwldg

Post by pwrknwldg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm

I simply put a Boss GE-7 EQ in the loop, and with a few minor cuts and boosts to fatten things up was able to get a "Leviathan" tone quite nicely out of my CR-120H.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Darkstar wrote:I am planning to boost the gain on the overdrive channel. I like the distortion that the amp itself has, i just want to push it more for parts that require the extra umph. I was thinking a tubescreamer or something might do it. I tried
Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Overdrive Pedal but i am just not getting the quality and tone i expected. Maybe cause its a cheaper clone pedal. What do you think about something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TS ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds like what you need is more of a volume boost than a gain boost. I couldn't imagine the CR120 not becoming too muddy and fizzy with a gain pedal.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:47 pm

lunchbox wrote:
Darkstar wrote:I am planning to boost the gain on the overdrive channel. I like the distortion that the amp itself has, i just want to push it more for parts that require the extra umph. I was thinking a tubescreamer or something might do it. I tried
It sounds like what you need is more of a volume boost than a gain boost. I couldn't imagine the CR120 not becoming too muddy and fizzy with a gain pedal.
Yeah i def. don't want fizzy poo distortion. I just want it fattened, louder and bigger.

Oraison

Post by Oraison » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:16 pm

I do exactly what you are trying to do.

Maxon 808 and with the amp at Slightly scooped mids and greater hi settings than you might be comfortable with. The amp stays thick through most settings especially at loud volumes and the his give it the bitey edge.

Maxon is real transparent and versatile.
Regarded as the Swiss Army knife of over drives for hi gain applications.

Do it.

Edit: you'll need a good noise gate like Isp decimator or mxr smartgate.
With hi gain+overdrive comes more noise. If you are going for massive chugs this amp does them but adds pickup noise like a mother f***er.
THUNDERVERB 50
ROCKERVERB 50
AD30
TH100
CR120
DARK TERROR
MICRO TERROR
PPC412 LTD 40th Anniversary
PPC412
PPC212 x 2
PPC112 X 2
PPC108 X 2
PPC212JR

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Oraison wrote:I do exactly what you are trying to do.

Maxon 808 and with the amp at Slightly scooped mids and greater hi settings than you might be comfortable with. The amp stays thick through most settings especially at loud volumes and the his give it the bitey edge.

Maxon is real transparent and versatile.
Regarded as the Swiss Army knife of over drives for hi gain applications.

Do it.

Edit: you'll need a good noise gate like Isp decimator or mxr smartgate.
With hi gain+overdrive comes more noise. If you are going for massive chugs this amp does them but adds pickup noise like a mother f***er.
Yeah i tried a Fulltone clone and i experience the feedback and noise for sure. I have a noise gate on the way, i shall see if its enough. Should be here today actually =)

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:50 am

I usually boost my Dual Terror fat channel with a Carl Martin Plexitone to ehnance the drive sound . It has a characteristic and defined sound but if setted for a boosting option it doesn't colour so much the Orange sound. And then it's an amp in a box pedal...it saves you in every gig situation!
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB