NAD!!!!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

NAD!!!!!!

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Just manged to score a tiny terror combo......

As per my usual modus operandi, I waited for (a long time!!!!) a good deal to appear locally, and got it.

It's one of the older model with the Celestion G12H30 as opposed to the voice of the world speaker, and I'm looking forward to comparing both the Tiny Terror and AD15 through both V30 and the G12H30 speaker.

I think only one amp will stay, but I was very impressed with the TT when u bought it.
It did start squealing with both gain and volume maxed, and I had a similar issue with my previous AD15, easily solved with a V1 valve swap, so I reckon that V1 on my tiny terror is very slightly microphonic, so that it shows up only at high volume/gain.

At the price I got it for, I can't complain, so I was quite happy to buy it anyway.

In any case, regardless if the V1 valve, it did sound really good! Looking forward to out it up against the AD15!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

caldurham
Rocker

Re: NAD!!!!!!

Post by caldurham » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:06 pm

this is cool. i wish i could hear you compare the speakers. or hell even compare both amps through both speakers as well. let us know what you think, i am very interested. i've been contemplating a tiny terror for a while now myself. i'd really like to know what you think of the combo too.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 pm

I went to buy one a few years back and couldn't get over how great it sounded. Something magic about that little open back combo and a G12. Great sounding portable combo that's for sure. Anyhow, I passed up on the deal as he lied about the condition. If I ever see one in decent shape in my area, It will most likely come home with me :)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Yeah, the chap who sold me his was less than truthful about the condition. He said it was in great condition, no damage to the tolex..... I got there and it had a number of small marks on the tolex and some of the face plate is a bit scratched too.

But for the price I got it for, I'm still more than pleased, and I didn't feel that it'd be fair to argue a reduction as this would have been stealing it then....

Oh, and the front grill was sagging a bit too, not much though, but i tried brushing some water on it last night, and it straightened right out! I'm wondering if it'll stay perfect like that once dried.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Oh, and the front grill was sagging a bit too, not much though, but i tried brushing some water on it last night, and it straightened right out! I'm wondering if it'll stay perfect like that once dried.
it should. when i first put on the cane webbing on my 4x12 it had waves in it. and i had soaked it in warm water for about 30 minutes before putting it on. after stretching it as tight as possible and stapling it in, it still had waves to it. i thought i had messed up somehow. but when i woke up the next day it was tight! i mean drum head tight almost.

AND .... knowing this .......

i had never thought to do this with sagging grills on older orange cabs! i've passed up some killer deals just because the grill was sagging some. i dunno why i didnt think to do what you did. lol .......

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Glad to hear you got a score! Got to love those... I know when I got my AD30 and an OB212 it was pretty beat and dirty. Spent hours cleaning that up but well worth what I paid.
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

cherrysunburst00

Post by cherrysunburst00 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm

That's TERRIFIC. Congrats. I'm curious to see what your opinion on the TT vs the AD15 is. I just acquired an OR15 but was thinking about waiting for an AD15. Absolutely love the OR15, so I'm glad I went with it

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 pm

caldurham wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Oh, and the front grill was sagging a bit too, not much though, but i tried brushing some water on it last night, and it straightened right out! I'm wondering if it'll stay perfect like that once dried.
it should. when i first put on the cane webbing on my 4x12 it had waves in it. and i had soaked it in warm water for about 30 minutes before putting it on. after stretching it as tight as possible and stapling it in, it still had waves to it. i thought i had messed up somehow. but when i woke up the next day it was tight! i mean drum head tight almost.

AND .... knowing this .......

i had never thought to do this with sagging grills on older orange cabs! i've passed up some killer deals just because the grill was sagging some. i dunno why i didnt think to do what you did. lol .......

I'm pretty pleased - checked it out tonight, the basket weave is dead straight now. Woohoo!!!!
After some cleaning, the amp looks a lot better than when I picked it up. Now I just need some time to compare it to my AD15.......
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm

thejay wrote:Glad to hear you got a score! Got to love those... I know when I got my AD30 and an OB212 it was pretty beat and dirty. Spent hours cleaning that up but well worth what I paid.
I know - I always wonder why people don't bother cleaning them up before to sell them. The better it looks the more you will sell it for, it's pretty simple as a concept.
I'm not gonna complain, I've picked up a number of bargains like that.......
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 pm

cherrysunburst00 wrote:That's TERRIFIC. Congrats. I'm curious to see what your opinion on the TT vs the AD15 is. I just acquired an OR15 but was thinking about waiting for an AD15. Absolutely love the OR15, so I'm glad I went with it

Yeah looking forward to the try out...!!!

I think the TT will sit in between the OR15 and AD15, but I've not owned and OR15 yet.
Ant

Oraison

Post by Oraison » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01 pm

Ahh man.

Nice score! I wish some folks would sell their combos around here.

Nothing but tiny terror heads and 1x12 cabs in these parts.

While I dig the tone I've got the same capabilities in the other amps I own.

Combos are killer for in home use and portability is unmatched.
THUNDERVERB 50
ROCKERVERB 50
AD30
TH100
CR120
DARK TERROR
MICRO TERROR
PPC412 LTD 40th Anniversary
PPC412
PPC212 x 2
PPC112 X 2
PPC108 X 2
PPC212JR

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:59 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
thejay wrote:Glad to hear you got a score! Got to love those... I know when I got my AD30 and an OB212 it was pretty beat and dirty. Spent hours cleaning that up but well worth what I paid.
I know - I always wonder why people don't bother cleaning them up before to sell them. The better it looks the more you will sell it for, it's pretty simple as a concept.
I'm not gonna complain, I've picked up a number of bargains like that.......
Yep that's right , or try to sell stuff that is photographed badly!

Brilliant amp, enjoy
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Congratulations!
I hope to find one used for a decent price someday.
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Regarding the basket weave, pretty much every single TT combo I've seen sags a bit. Not sure if it's a cheaper material they used or what. Glad you got it straightened out.

I did a trade in for my R30 Combo from a reputable music store in my city. The amp was pretty dirty to say the least. Years of dust getting mashed into the tMolex, and the ever famous Orange amp foot residue. They were asking a small fortune for it, so you would assume they would have cleaned it up right? Nope. Got it home did the famous dish soap paper towel twist technique, and a few light passes with a magic eraser and it was good as new.

The TT in question I way buying had multiple tears. Looking back, I should have bought it and re-done the tolex in something cool. That or stripped it to bare wood and added some stain. The price was beyond reasonable... Well now you have me wanting one again haha. Curse this forum.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Nice find!

Someone I know on here used to say, 'Pics or it didn't happen'
But that wasn't me :D
Paul.