'76 orange OD120 possible problem ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dimitri858

'76 orange OD120 possible problem ?

Post by dimitri858 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:53 am

so ...

My master volume is practically all the way up , and my gain at about 3 o' clock ...
Somehow I'm very hard to be heard , The rocker30 from the other guitarplayer ( on top of his flightcase ) goes WAAAAAY louder then my OR on top of the Bogner...
I practically don"t hear myself playing, which is very unconvenient ofcourse, the amp had a service a couple weeks ago so the problem doesn't seems to come from there. But at those settings ... Am I not being supposed to be blown away ? also the same for the drummer and bass player? we play in a circle , and the rocker30 is louder for everyone ... they always tell me to keep turning my amp up. We play rock n roll/ punkrock tunes ... our drummer plays very aggressive and loud also.

But still , for the couple of weeks I have the OR120 now, I'm quite dissapointed that I hardly manage to keep up with the rocker30

What can be the problem ?

thank you in advance!
And my apologies for the possibly bad grammar in this message!

Dimitri

( changed some of the content of this thread, since it appears not to be the speakers of cabinet. hopefully someone can give me some more input about what could be wrong )
Last edited by dimitri858 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kristian Ford

Re: '76 orange OD120 cabinet suggestions

Post by Kristian Ford » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Something is wrong.
What are your EQ settings? Are you using the correct OHM setting?
You should be able to cause permanent hearing damage to every member of your band with that amp!! :?:

As far as a cab is concerned..you'd be happier with the cab it was designed for, (PPC412) and V30s are totally fine!

dimitri858

Post by dimitri858 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:22 pm

just back from the guitarshop ...

volume, almost all the way up
gain : 3 o clock
bass : maybe at 7, 8 o clock
treble :8, 9 o clock
presence : 8 o clock

FAC : all to the left , or sometimes one click from the left

ohm : 16ohm amp , 16 ohm bogner

they run some other oranges next to it this afternoon
the th30 at max volume and a lot of gain was the same level

obvious that it's very loud , I won't deny that ofcourse.

The tubes are ok.
Their diagnose was that the OR is a dark voiced amplifier, so it's less noticable that it's actually going very loud, against a rocker30 in my position, that sits on a flightcase and has the treble, mids , gain and volume almost all the way up

they said that the rocker30 should be on the floor to start with, and I will be much more hearable...

Anyway , I'm still curious.
What is too loud for you guys ? Like the OR was on in the music store, you can't play like that for 15 minutes... ( with no drums, other amps, ... on ) it's loud , and you can play like that... but not for long. no one would do that.
on the other hand ... in my band , it's also like that and I play like that for 3 hours on those maximum settings. but then there are other instruments and amplifiers involved.

( I'll have some earbuzzings every night after practice, that's also a fact )

But what is too loud ? I'm serious doubting everything at this point ...

dimitri858

Post by dimitri858 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:26 pm

this is how the bogner is set up
with the switch to the left, and I plug the cable in to the right ... this is how I am been told to run it

there are some other options on that cab too ... maybe something to try out ? i have 4, 8 and 16 ohm on the orange

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: '76 orange OD120 possible problem ?

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:27 pm

It could just be perception...

The rocker 30 having undoubtedly less bass may be more piercing and cutting.

If you're going away with ringing after every rehearsal then you are (as a whole band) too loud anyway. Being in a band is great when you're young but going death and waking with tinnitus as I do every morning really isn't worth it. Trust me on that one.
Paul.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:13 am

OrangePaul wrote:Being in a band is great when you're young but going death and waking with tinnitus as I do every morning really isn't worth it. Trust me on that one.
I certainly wouldn't want to go death being in a band. Definitely not worth it.

As for the amp in question, what does "almost all the way up" mean? I've noticed and it's been mentioned on the forum a bit over the years that an OD120 doesn't hit seriously loud til pretty late on the master volume knob. Add to that the fact that your knob might be attached so it looks like you're further up in volume than you think you are and you might be fooled by the perceived volume vs actual setting on the amp. Also, your EQ settings are kinda weird. You've got the treble and the bass rolled back pretty far. I would think the amp would sound generally pretty mushy in those settings, but I don't know what you're going for. The other stuff mentioned about placement and relative loudness related to amp voicing all applies. I would play around with EQ setting in a band context to see if you can't get a little more presence in the mix.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 am

Good call on the EQ settings Gladmarr, I missed that one.
I would at least start with the amp 'flat' which is both EQ and HF Drive(Presence) set at noon and work it from there...

FWIW my usual settings with a strat type guitar is FAC fully left, Bass(Hz) almost fully clockwise, Treble(KHz) at noon and HF Drive presence at around 3pm
Paul.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:30 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Good call on the EQ settings Gladmarr, I missed that one.
I would at least start with the amp 'flat' which is both EQ and HF Drive(Presence) set at noon and work it from there...

FWIW my usual settings with a strat type guitar is FAC fully left, Bass(Hz) almost fully clockwise, Treble(KHz) at noon and HF Drive presence at around 3pm

Agreed on the starting point for the EQ. And for what it's worth, my EQ settings are FAC two clicks from the left, Bass at noon, Treble at 1 o'clock, and HF Drive at 1-2 o'clock. Gain at noon and master wherever I can hear myself over the band.

dimitri858

Post by dimitri858 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 pm

thanks for the response guys !
will try somethings out on the next rehearsal.
We play too loud for sure, but if I'm the only one who actually cares about it , there's not much I can do about it I guess..

anyway, thanks a lot so far!

maybe tell the other guitarplayer to put his rocker30 down at least, so I don't go deaf over his piercing tones

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:42 am

dimitri858 wrote:...maybe tell the other guitarplayer to put his rocker30 down at least, so I don't go deaf over his piercing tones
Just to be clear: You ARE already going deaf based on your description of ears ringing after rehearsal. If you don't wish to continue to damage yourself, and your ability to play music, you need hearing protection or to rehearse at lower volumes. Please don't think that just lowering the rocker 30 is sufficient.