Recommend me a clip on tuner please!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Recommend me a clip on tuner please!

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 pm

My trusty old snark tuner had a bit of fall on my nice new kitchen slate floor. He didn't like that much and isn't so trusty anymore.

What clip-on tuner do you guys use for home practice these days? I'm fed up having to get my pedal tuner out everyone I want to play at home!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PBA
Rocker

Re: Recommend me a clip on tuner please!

Post by PBA » Tue May 31, 2016 1:36 pm

I've got a Snark! I had a red one and gave it to my Daughter. I replaced it with a black one which does pretty much the same thing but is way cooler. They seem pretty much indestructible so you must have a vicious floor.

I also have an app on my phone which turns out to be quite handy too.

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Tue May 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Last month was my girlfriends birthday, I gave her a TC Electronic Polytune clip.
Made her really happy as you can see.....

I almost had to go and buy something else when I tried it the day I bought it.
A bit pricey, but it's really, really good!
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 31, 2016 2:28 pm

Hah. I was going to say forget the clip on and get a proper tuner, but you ruined it!

I have the blue and red snark, they are hit and miss. Also the batteries seem to run out too fast. Does any company make a rechargeable one yet?

BlueWookieJim

Post by BlueWookieJim » Tue May 31, 2016 2:33 pm

The TC Electronic polytune clip on is pretty sweet. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and it still on the original battery.

The display is awesome, never have a problem seeing it. And the polytune functionality gives a quick way to identify exactly which string or strings are out of tune.
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR15 Head
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head MKI

Orange PPC112 (x2)
Orange PPC212C

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

My main gripe with the snark tuner really is that mine didn't track the low E well at all, and the display, whilst great with new batteries, faded pretty quick.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind getting another one, it's quite good, but thinking I may be missing out on something else.

That tc polyphonic tuner does look good..... But pricey!!!! It actually would cost more than my hardwire poly tuner!!!!!!!
But polyphonic tuning is very handy.
What batteries foes it take? The usual Cr2032???

I bought them in bulk recently to save costs...... Just Then I killed my snark..... :lol:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Tue May 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:My main gripe with the snark tuner really is that mine didn't track the low E well at all, and the display, whilst great with new batteries, faded pretty quick.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind getting another one, it's quite good, but thinking I may be missing out on something else.

That tc polyphonic tuner does look good..... But pricey!!!! It actually would cost more than my hardwire poly tuner!!!!!!!
But polyphonic tuning is very handy.
What batteries foes it take? The usual Cr2032???

I bought them in bulk recently to save costs...... Just Then I killed my snark..... :lol:
My Boss TU-3 has the same low E problem at low volume.
I'm thinking of getting one for string changes and set up sessions, could come really handy.

And yes, it's a CR2032. Here's the product page:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-cl ... guage=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Tue May 31, 2016 7:26 pm

The lr baggs venue has a great tuner built in :lol:
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 am

I have a delta turner that works really well
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:10 am

I have several cheap fender FT004, and they do the job. I don't think about any reason to buy more expensive one.
I guess any clip on tuner works ok.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Hubaxe wrote:I have several cheap fender FT004, and they do the job. I don't think about any reason to buy more expensive one.

How do those track the low E? That's really my main gripe about the snark I broke, though looking at it there are different snark models out there, some better than others by the look of it, and I suspect I had the more basic one.

I love the look of the TC polyphonic tuner, but I'm pretty sure the next tuner will eventually meet the same fate as my late one, since I play in the kitchen quite a bit, and having just layed the slate tiles, they're here to stay!!!!!
Ant

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:42 pm

I use an Apex AT8. I have nothing to compare it against as it's the only own I've owned. It was pretty cheap to buy and it works well for me, I might buy another one to keep in 2 spots at the house actually.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:33 am

I have an app on my phone that works pretty good at home, but if you've a bunch of noise I can see where a clip on might be handy.
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:22 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Hubaxe wrote:I have several cheap fender FT004, and they do the job. I don't think about any reason to buy more expensive one.

How do those track the low E? That's really my main gripe about the snark I broke, though looking at it there are different snark models out there, some better than others by the look of it, and I suspect I had the more basic one.

I love the look of the TC polyphonic tuner, but I'm pretty sure the next tuner will eventually meet the same fate as my late one, since I play in the kitchen quite a bit, and having just layed the slate tiles, they're here to stay!!!!!
I do not notice any low E issue, even on the chromatic mode if I tune Drop D. I even use it on my lapsteel clipped on the bridge.
Those are really cheap, so maybe worth the investment to try one, and drop it in the kitchen if not good for you :lol:

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 pm

This isn't an answer to your question, but personally, I tune by ear at home. We should all be able to tune by ear anyways, and the more you do it, the better you get at it. That's my suggestion.

Also, be careful with leaving a clip on tuner on any guitar that doesn't have a poly finish on it. They do leave marks.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI