Guess what followed me home today...... :D

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Guess what followed me home today...... :D

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Looked cute, had to pick her up.

Let's see what sort of relationship can develop from there..... :)
As some of you remember, I've not been a big fan of the R30 in the past, so it'll be interesting to give it a proper try in my setting with broken V30 in my PPC212. That one was just too good a deal to pass out. (let me gloat please - scored it for £255 only !!!! :mrgreen:)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Guess what followed me home today...... :D

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 22, 2016 4:59 pm

On the down side, if it stays here, I might need to rehang my guitars a bit higher......

Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun May 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Nice.....let us know how you get on!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sun May 22, 2016 8:32 pm

If the relationship doesnt work out Ill take it off your hands for you. I'll even pay for the freight charges :D
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Really silly money for a quality amp like the Rocker. Hope you get on together. Failing that Mike has you covered...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Nice.....let us know how you get on!
The early report is a mixed bag. The natural channel is nice.... But terribly middy / honky with my LP, and perfectly strat like with my Vigier. So I could use it with my Vigier, but my mine axe is my LP and I wasn't a big fan through the natural channel.

The dirty channel is really great. I love what I heard tonight. Both LP and Vigier, it sounds great, just plain amazing. I could definitely use that in my band. I'll to see what's the best fit.
MikeD wrote:If the relationship doesnt work out Ill take it off your hands for you. I'll even pay for the freight charges :D
Exactly what I love about this forum. People you only know virtually going out of their way to help. Thanks Mike!!!!
a.hun wrote:Really silly money for a quality amp like the Rocker. Hope you get on together. Failing that Mike has you covered...

Andy.
I know, you can't even get a squier classic vibe 2nd hand for that money. I've been on the look out for a R30 for a while, and have seen many go that cheap.

Further comments.....
The volume difference between natural channel and dirty channel is INSANE. Really crazy. How in hell they designed it and decided it was ok is unbelievable. I cranked the clean channel in my lounge and could still (just about) hear the TV.
No way that clean channel is 30w clean. Don't get me wrong, I could only hear peak noises from the TV, I couldnt hear what was happening - but cranked, I was expecting that to be much louder.

And the lack of EQ may really make that channel almost unusable for me live.

The dirty channel is really great though. Very fuzzy, articulate, not as gainy as I thought, I Like it very much.

In further observations, I reckon I haven't liked the R30 in the past because I tried it with...... New Celestion V30 speakers - they really need to be broken in.

I'll have to see how it goes, but if I keep it, I reckon it'll be as a single channel amp in the main.
Ant

Oraison

Post by Oraison » Mon May 23, 2016 1:17 am

Wowowowowowwowoowowowow

Congrats! I've been GASing for a rocker 30 for a long time. Looks clean too!
My brother had one and it was amazing for playing ambient style minimal stuff.

Loves delays and reverbs.
THUNDERVERB 50
ROCKERVERB 50
AD30
TH100
CR120
DARK TERROR
MICRO TERROR
PPC412 LTD 40th Anniversary
PPC412
PPC212 x 2
PPC112 X 2
PPC108 X 2
PPC212JR

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Post by Valvelust » Mon May 23, 2016 2:32 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Looked cute, had to pick her up.

Let's see what sort of relationship can develop from there..... :)
As some of you remember, I've not been a big fan of the R30 in the past, so it'll be interesting to give it a proper try in my setting with broken V30 in my PPC212. That one was just too good a deal to pass out. (let me gloat please - scored it for £255 only !!!! :mrgreen:)
Let 'er ROCK!!!! :D
With the Verb :wink: ...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 23, 2016 9:05 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:The early report is a mixed bag. The natural channel is nice.... But terribly middy / honky with my LP, and perfectly strat like with my Vigier. So I could use it with my Vigier, but my mine axe is my LP and I wasn't a big fan through the natural channel.

The dirty channel is really great. I love what I heard tonight. Both LP and Vigier, it sounds great, just plain amazing. I could definitely use that in my band. I'll to see what's the best fit.

Further comments.....
The volume difference between natural channel and dirty channel is INSANE. Really crazy. How in hell they designed it and decided it was ok is unbelievable. I cranked the clean channel in my lounge and could still (just about) hear the TV.
No way that clean channel is 30w clean. Don't get me wrong, I could only hear peak noises from the TV, I couldnt hear what was happening - but cranked, I was expecting that to be much louder.
I would too. I know the Natural channel doesn't max out as loud as the Dirty but I don't think the difference should be that great. I'm suspecting a problem. Worth swapping the V1 preamp valve which handles the Natural channel out for starters IMO.
So try to find something which shapes it to your liking. (Maybe after that valve swap though! :wink:) Either a separate EQ or a drive pedal which takes it more the direction you like. (My first suggestion would be the EH Bass Soul Food.) There is absolutely no law against using pedals with the amp - in fact the Natural channel is a great place to do so IMO.
The dirty channel is really great though. Very fuzzy, articulate, not as gainy as I thought, I Like it very much.
Again that might just point to a weak 1st stage preamp valve, the one which covers the Natural channel and the first Dirty gain stage. It doesn't have extreme gain by modern standards, but I'd still call it a high gain channel.
In further observations, I reckon I haven't liked the R30 in the past because I tried it with...... New Celestion V30 speakers - they really need to be broken in.

I'll have to see how it goes, but if I keep it, I reckon it'll be as a single channel amp in the main.
Again no law against that, but to me that'd be missing a lot of the amp's potential. I genuinely find both channels equally useful myself, very different but once you find the right strategy great allies.

Hope it works out for you. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:42 pm

The rocker 20 has one single gain stage on the clean channel and thats it.. so the volume level between equivalent settings between channels is of course huge..

HOWEVER.. a clean boost, a boost with EQ, or an EQ with boost will add tone shaping and volume to your tone..

irregardless of that.. it breaks up in a beautiful way when past noon on the dial (with an LP), and there is no way i can play that inside when dimed its still very loud...

but start with your favourite boost.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Further comments.....

-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Congrats! The price was right for sure, so not much risk in trying it out for a while! Your observations pretty much mirror mine when I had a Rocker 30.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 pm

I never noticed a great difference in loudness between natural and dirty. I'd wonder about the preamp tube as well being a problem. The wattage of an amp is all decided in the power amp. Preamps are just boosting the guitar signal. As soon as they distort, they've already hit the max volume you'll get in a preamp. If you throw a boost pedal on the natural channel and can't get it to the same volume as the dirty channel, something isn't right. It's a great amp regardless, congrats!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:Nice.....let us know how you get on!
The early report is a mixed bag. The natural channel is nice.... But terribly middy / honky with my LP, and perfectly strat like with my Vigier. So I could use it with my Vigier, but my mine axe is my LP and I wasn't a big fan through the natural channel.

MikeD wrote:If the relationship doesnt work out Ill take it off your hands for you. I'll even pay for the freight charges :D
Exactly what I love about this forum. People you only know virtually going out of their way to help. Thanks Mike!!!!
a.hun wrote:Really silly money for a quality amp like the Rocker. Hope you get on together. Failing that Mike has you covered...

Andy.
I know, you can't even get a squier classic vibe 2nd hand for that money. I've been on the look out for a R30 for a while, and have seen many go that cheap.

Further comments.....

That doesn't sound right, at all.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 pm

a.hun wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:The early report is a mixed bag. The natural channel is nice.... But terribly middy / honky with my LP, and perfectly strat like with my Vigier. So I could use it with my Vigier, but my mine axe is my LP and I wasn't a big fan through the natural channel.

Further comments.....
I would too. I know the Natural channel doesn't max out as loud as the Dirty but I don't think the difference should be that great. I'm suspecting a problem. Worth swapping the V1 preamp valve which handles the Natural channel out for starters IMO.
So try to find something which shapes it to your liking. (Maybe after that valve swap though! :wink:) Either a separate EQ or a drive pedal which takes it more the direction you like. (My first suggestion would be the EH Bass Soul Food.) There is absolutely no law against using pedals with the amp - in fact the Natural channel is a great place to do so IMO.
Again that might just point to a weak 1st stage preamp valve, the one which covers the Natural channel and the first Dirty gain stage. It doesn't have extreme gain by modern standards, but I'd still call it a high gain channel.

Again no law against that, but to me that'd be missing a lot of the amp's potential. I genuinely find both channels equally useful myself, very different but once you find the right strategy great allies.

Hope it works out for you. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

Andy.
Don't you worry the cranked clean channel still gets the house shaking, but to compare the gain channel with volume maxed and gain around 10 or 11 o'clock is about as loud as the cranked clean channel.

My ears are buzzing a little...... ;)
Mystic38 wrote:The rocker 20 has one single gain stage on the clean channel and thats it.. so the volume level between equivalent settings between channels is of course huge..

HOWEVER.. a clean boost, a boost with EQ, or an EQ with boost will add tone shaping and volume to your tone..

irregardless of that.. it breaks up in a beautiful way when past noon on the dial (with an LP), and there is no way i can play that inside when dimed its still very loud...

but start with your favourite boost.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Further comments.....

I'm not totally giving up on the clean channel, I have a SHO clone that I'm sure can do the job of boosting it, it's just that the voicing with a LP isn't what I'm after I think. But i will see how I get in after a while.

And yes, yesterday I was more picking that clean channel, with much softer results.... Today strumming chords was much louder....
Ant

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Wed May 25, 2016 2:07 am

Congrats! Great deal. Someday I hope to check out an Orange using EL-34's.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger