OR50 and CS50 owners, share your favorite settings

Post by msmith4432 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Hey, guys. If you own one of these 2 amps please share your favorite settings
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: OR50 and CS50 owners, share your favorite settings

Post by Eddie Famine » Wed May 11, 2016 11:00 pm

My OR50
Volume, 11:00 o'clock
Master Volume 2 to 3 o'clock
Punch. 3:00 o'clock
Tone controls, treble and bass, noon, mids about 1 or 2
With that I get a great crunchy rhythm sound, that can easily be cleaned up with guitar volume or coil splitting . For lead , just add an EP boost and there you are.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks, sounds like a good setting, for some reason lately I have had to dial back the bass on mine, I don't feel like I have ever had to do that before but I ran it at about 10oclock last night
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu May 12, 2016 4:02 pm

msmith4432 wrote:Thanks, sounds like a good setting, for some reason lately I have had to dial back the bass on mine, I don't feel like I have ever had to do that before but I ran it at about 10oclock last night
Time for a valve change maybe?..... It's not that's there more bass there's just less Treble and presence
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu May 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks Eddie Famine for the cut and paste. :wink: I was really surprised to see how close we run things.

OR50
Volume, 11:00 o'clock
Master Volume 11:00 o'clock - noon
Punch. 3:00 o'clock
Tone controls, treble and bass, noon, mids about 3 o'clock
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:Thanks, sounds like a good setting, for some reason lately I have had to dial back the bass on mine, I don't feel like I have ever had to do that before but I ran it at about 10oclock last night
Time for a valve change maybe?..... It's not that's there more bass there's just less Treble and presence
Probably not that IMO. Valves generally wear very gradually and typically lose both top and bottom end punch.

Nah, it is just msmith4432's musical ear finally developing! ;)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Dunno, it's funny as well as you, one night, played in tone heaven...... The following day, your amp, cab haven't moved, you have the same guitar and cable exactly the same way..... And it doesn't sound right????!!!????

It's happened to me so many times before.
I swear your ability to hear the music changes depending on mood, tiredness and other factors....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 13, 2016 1:29 am

Yeah I get that too with most amps frankly. I think there are a lot of factors, but for me being a fine tweaker of things like the guitar volume / tone controls it is sometimes down to little things like not quite setting them right or playing a little closer to the bridge than usual or whatever.

Or maybe just how inspired / not I am on a given day.

Other factors of course are that your ears do get tired and the frequency balance you hear changes after an hour or two playing, especially if playing fairly loud when it happens faster. And amps do change in sound as they warm up properly. Funnily enough they always seem to get better, not worse, neat trick. This doesn't just happen with valve amps either! ;)

About the only amp I find totally consistent every time I switch it on is my DR103 Hiwatt. It is almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it no matter how you set it or what you put through it. The next best I own in that respect is actually my Peavey Classic 30 combo, again I can always get good sounds out of it fairly easily.
My two Oranges seem better than most at letting me get what I want soundwise without any hassle. But sure, somethimes they sound 'better' than others for no really obvious reason.
Least consistent sounding is my old Top Boost AC30. Probably largely down to voltage sensitivity, but also because the controls are both strong and highly interactive so slight tweaks can sometimes mess the sounds right up and it isn't that easy to dial in. At it's best it is truly wonderful, at it's worst I just can't seem to get it to sing at all. Well odd, but a real enough phenomenon I've simply learned to accept. :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:54 pm

a.hun wrote:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Probably not that IMO. Valves generally wear very gradually and typically lose both top and bottom end punch.

Nah, it is just msmith4432's musical ear finally developing! ;)

Andy.
I would really be suprised if the tunes were fading, I have somewhere between 30-40 hrs on these valves
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Dunno, it's funny as well as you, one night, played in tone heaven...... The following day, your amp, cab haven't moved, you have the same guitar and cable exactly the same way..... And it doesn't sound right????!!!????

It's happened to me so many times before.
I swear your ability to hear the music changes depending on mood, tiredness and other factors....
I have had this exact same experience
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri May 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Dunno, it's funny as well as you, one night, played in tone heaven...... The following day, your amp, cab haven't moved, you have the same guitar and cable exactly the same way..... And it doesn't sound right????!!!????
Are you sure you were running your cable in the same direction??? :lol:

Talking of consistency, I've been using my OR120 again for the last two gigs and it's been consistently impeccable! Honestly I hadn't used it live since about 1990 when I switched over to a valve/midi effects rack setup and it's blowing me away all over again... probably more than ever now that I have a much better pedal board.
Paul.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Sat May 14, 2016 2:41 am

Yeah, I know that phenomenon well. It's almost like some days I can't hear treble as well (amp sounds muddy), and other days I hear it too well (amp sounds tinny, harsh). Or maybe my hands are stiff and my pick attack is off. Or maybe the temp, humidity, density of the air in the room is different and the resonance of the room has changed. I don't know what causes it! I've gotten better at controlling the urge to take out a soldering iron when it happens.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V