Definitely NAD - Orange Rocker 30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Possible NAD - Orange Rocker 30

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 am

jesperbc wrote:I've actually had an AD30TCH. How does the Rocker 30 compare to the AD30?
Actually very different amps. Tonally they are both very Orange, but dynamically very different. The AD30 is one of the most compressed 30W amps ever, the Rocker one of the least compressed. So the Rocker will feel very spiky to play in comparison.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... cs#p559359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p581632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll either like that side of things or not, but remember that just like reverb you can always add more compression if needed but you can never remove it. Rocker at least gives you that option, so if your playing feels a bit naked or you want more sustain just bung a decent comp in front and you'll be laughing like a maniac on speed.

FWIW here's my original 2005 'review' on the R.30 when I'd first played one:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=3664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the 'Natural' channel...
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p631451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:38 pm

I was jonzing quite hard for an AD30 to pair with my R30. I had the opportunity to try one on two occasions. I felt it sounded much better through a PPC212, than through the combo cabinet.

First time I plugged the combo in through a PPC212. It had enough gain for my needs, and does the edge of breakup thing much better than the R30. I was actually able to crank it this time, as it was before the staff at the store told people to quiet down. Sounded good, but I didn't do a through play through.

Second time I played a floor model combo. It was heavily discounted I mean heavily, so sat down for about an hour. The guy kept telling me to turn down so I had a bit of a sour taste in my mouth but I got a decent run through with it. I still think it has plenty of gain, and that it does the edge of breakup thing very well (The R30 can't really do this). What I did not like was the difference between the channels. I understand they are EQ'd differently and I would have preferred them to be identical. I had trouble getting the two channels to sound the same (EQ matching). Some people may like this, but I don't want one channel brighter, or bassier than the other. I also think the combo model had less gain. Not really sure about this, but I wasn't able to get the same ripping tones I got a year prior plugged into a PPC212 (probably tube differences). The AD30 also isn't as "tight" as the R30. This I'm sure is due to the Tube Rectifier (An EQ pedal could always remedy this). I eventually decided not to buy it as there were a few tolex rips, and it was going to be for re-sale/trade purposes as opposed to actually playing it. What I would be interested in is a single channel AD30 head. It was really the two channels and their tone difference that turned me off.

I read every single AD30 vs R30 post I could find on the Googles. People are split, some people hate the R30, some hate the AD30. You honestly have to play it to decide. It's the only way to know for sure. I wanted one so bad until I actually played it. I think it's more of a indication of how much I love the R30. The AD30 is not a bad amp, but the R30 ticks all the right boxes and I havn't found anything that compares (yet anyway haha).

Oh and Natural Channel Drama. I pretended the R30 was a single channel amp for a long time. It cleans up pretty well with the volume knob. I think the NC is brilliant recorded but don't use it live. If you want it to stay clean live, you will need a clean boost of some sort.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 pm

I actually didn't like the AD30 very much. I traded it in for the TH100 quite soon after I bought it. Ironically, I still only like the clean channel on the TH100, as the dirty channel is way too compressed and modern sounding to my tastes.

From the Youtube demoes I've seen of the R30, I've gotten a really good vibe. I like both channels. I'm going to visit my acquantance this weekend and try it out with my PPC212OB cab, my board and my Telecaster. Can't wait. So excited!
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:32 am

I had similar views of the TH30 ..glorious clean channel but overly compressed dirty channel (for me) so i bought a R30c and boy does it fix THAT problem...:)

Note that with the R30 clean channel there is only one single gain stage, so while it may appear to have limited headroom before power amp breakup with volume around noon or so, it actually is restricted by the input level so if you want more clean volume you need to use a boost.

it should sound great through the 212OB.. enjoy the ride :)

jesperbc wrote:I still only like the clean channel on the TH100, as the dirty channel is way too compressed and modern sounding to my tastes.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Re: Definitely NAD - Orange Rocker 30

Post by jesperbc » Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 pm

I did it. I bought the amp. It sounded great and was in great condition besides a few scrapes on the front. I fixed those already with a bit of glue (very small amount, nothing to worry about!)

I seriously can't wait to take it to my practice space and crank it!

Last edited by jesperbc on Mon May 02, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 pm

jesperbc wrote:I did it. I bought the amp. It sounded great and was in great condition besides a few scrapes on the front. I fixed those already with a bit of glue (very small amount, nothing to worry about!)

Congrats! Looks beautiful. :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon May 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Bensnake wrote:
jesperbc wrote:I did it. I bought the amp. It sounded great and was in great condition besides a few scrapes on the front. I fixed those already with a bit of glue (very small amount, nothing to worry about!)

Congrats! Looks beautiful. :D
There... Fixed it. :D

I've given the damage to the tolex on the front a bit of glue, so it doesn't stick out so much...

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 pm

I gotta say, there is a massive volume difference between the two channels. Overall, the amp is LOUD! Even when the volume on clean channel never goes past noon. The dirty channel is even louder?! My goodness.

I don't know if any of you have seen the meme from The Walking Dead with Rick and Carl, about how the gain isn't a volume knob... Well, on this amp it is. Turning either of these knows will blow your ears out. But it doesn't matter, because it sounds so good. Either channel is gorgeous! Completely puts my TH100 to shame!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm

jesperbc wrote:I gotta say, there is a massive volume difference between the two channels.
Yep, as mentioned by several people on R.30 threads (and in that 2nd link of mine) you can bring the Natural channel volume up with a clean boost. Myself and several other R.30 owners swear by the humble MXR Micro Amp for that reason.
Overall, the amp is LOUD! Even when the volume on clean channel never goes past noon. The dirty channel is even louder?! My goodness.
Yeah it is definitely one of the louder 30 watters out there!

Glad you're enjoying it! (Mind your ears though!) :)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Fri May 06, 2016 11:34 am

Enjoy the amp! Really loving my R30 and have noticed the same thing... clean is lower volume than dirty. I might just have to take the suggestion for a clean boost.

the Bax will boost correct? I haven't picked up one of those yet...
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 06, 2016 12:54 pm

thejay wrote:the Bax will boost correct? I haven't picked up one of those yet...
Oh yes, it'll boost. Goes freakin' nuclear if you want. It isn't a clean boost by any means though!

Andy.

shedivines

Post by shedivines » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Get it. People aren't selling them often it seems and there must be a reason for that.... Those kinda touch sensitive amps make one a better player IMHO.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 pm

clean boost choices..

if you just want, well, just MORE, then my #1 is dunlop CAE boost/driver.. super clean, super flat, no dirt and no coloration..

but..MXR+ micro amp, TC Spark, and bunches more.. (even EQ/boost like the Orange Two-stroke, or empress paraEQ) , then EP boost etc etc..
thejay wrote:Enjoy the amp! Really loving my R30 and have noticed the same thing... clean is lower volume than dirty. I might just have to take the suggestion for a clean boost.

the Bax will boost correct? I haven't picked up one of those yet...
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***