Why No Effects Loop on Any Guitar Terrors?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Why No Effects Loop on Any Guitar Terrors?

Post by orangebassman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Seriously, and for the life of me I can't understand why they wouldn't include an effects loop on guitar terrors but did on the bass terrors. Guitarists always need the effects loop but I rarely see bassists using them.
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lama

Re: Why No Effects Loop on Any Guitar Terrors?

Post by Lama » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 pm

My Micro Dark Terror has an effects loop.
RV50MKII Ltd., white +
2 stack PPC112's Orange
Micro Dark Terror w/ PPC112 Black
Bax Bangeetar white

"Addicted to the Orange + Les Paul sound"

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Nah, guitarists don't always need a loop. I've never missed one, and frankly I hardly ever use one for bass either. (I do have both guitar and bass amps with loops BTW, but having tried them found running in front just fine for me.)

I think the whole point with the original TT was for them to be back to basics tone generators. They nailed that.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 pm

I dislike effects loops. I don't have a need for them. An effects loop will always have a slight effect on tone since it's in the path. I'm assuming it was initially like this to keep the costs down. I think when Orange moved over to more PRC production they started adding more features as they could produce the amp for much less. This could be why most of the newer Orange budget models come with effects loops/more features.

I honestly look for amps/guitars that have less features these days. Got my eye on a few single pickup guitars with only a volume knob. It also took me ages to find a suitable clean amp for my needs. I ended up with a Traynor DH40H running in "pure" mode (bypasses the tone stack). It does still have an effects loop so it's not perfect, but it's as close as I can get these days. People seem to want more and more features which makes sense from a value stand point, but give me an amp with only a gain/volume control and I'll be happy as a clam. Wait, are clams all that happy? hmm...

"Why would clams be happy? It has been suggested that open clams give the appearance of smiling. The derivation is more likely to come from the fuller version of the phrase, now rarely heard - 'as happy as a clam at high water'. Hide tide is when clams are free from the attentions of predators; surely the happiest of times in the bivalve mollusc world."

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:54 pm

As Andy said... Built to be a Back to basics amp with really good tone.

Same as my Ad30htc.... No effects loop and I don't miss one!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

mynamesidare

Post by mynamesidare » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I honestly look for amps/guitars that have less features these days.
Amen! Can't stand amps with a million knobs on them, just seems like more opportunities to dial in a bad tone, or a jack of all trades / master of none situation.
Thunderverb 200

previous:
Rockerverb 100 mkii
Tiny Terror

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

orangebassman wrote:Seriously, and for the life of me I can't understand why they wouldn't include an effects loop on guitar terrors but did on the bass terrors. Guitarists always need the effects loop but I rarely see bassists using them.
Because adding the FX loop affects the core tone of the amp...not in a good way when it comes to our Terror amps.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

I have a #4, it has an effects loop... I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't.

Am I unpopular now? :lol:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Course not! :lol:

What works for you works for you. That's it! 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:43 pm

My Dark Terror has got a loop, too...
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

steve15366

Post by steve15366 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:55 pm

I always look for an fx loop as I can't be doing with a dry amp with no reverb. All I want is a hint,and delays sound terrible when put before the pre amp as do most time based effects. Not to keen on parallel fx loops, a series one works fine for me. I understand there can be a little loss of tone but that's the price I must pay for the privilege. :wink:

mynamesidare

Post by mynamesidare » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 am

steve15366 wrote:delays sound terrible when put before the pre amp as do most time based effects.
That's all a matter of taste and how you have your amp set though, personally I love putting delays and verbs in front, I like the dirt you get on it. Obviously if we're talking high gain it's probably going to get OTT, but yeah, I'm a fan of the less pristine sound of going infront! (that's not to say I dislike using an effects loop, it's all options!)
Thunderverb 200

previous:
Rockerverb 100 mkii
Tiny Terror

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:08 am

mynamesidare wrote:
steve15366 wrote:delays sound terrible when put before the pre amp as do most time based effects.
That's all a matter of taste and how you have your amp set though, personally I love putting delays and verbs in front, I like the dirt you get on it. Obviously if we're talking high gain it's probably going to get OTT, but yeah, I'm a fan of the less pristine sound of going infront! (that's not to say I dislike using an effects loop, it's all options!)
+1, it is very much a matter of taste and how you set things up. Tend not to use reverb with drive sounds myself much, (maybe up to gentle crunch), but it always works FINE for me in front. Delay also and in fact, knowing that delay can be used to do a moderately useful sort of reverb simulation, at the suggestion of another forum member I tried that both in front of and in the primitive 'loop' of my OR120. Worked much better in front, though that'd be largely down to the amp (loop) and the particular delay too! :wink:

I always say: 'If it works (for you!) it works, period!'

Andy.

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Ha!
If it works (for you) it works.
I like that!

If I would believe everything that I read....
I would be a really unhappy person with my chinese (only) 30 watt head played through those nasty chinese 1x12 cabs that according to some should sound like crap.
Same with my american made wannabe Les Paul's
that can't sound right because of the lack of TONE caused due the lack of molecular level recreated vintage historic spec'd plastics!

Well I may be stupid but all my crap works for me, makes me happy and sounds nice to me.

I like my TH30 with loop!
Wouldn't have bought it without.
Unless it would have come with built in reverb.

A Thunderverb 30 would be killer by the way!
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar