Help, ABY switching. Orange Detonator and alternatives.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Help, ABY switching. Orange Detonator and alternatives.

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 pm

a.hun wrote:The Radial stuff is very good, proper pro level and built to last.
Thinline_slim wrote:I do have a Twincity and it's been flawless. It has enough capability that I've matched all sorts of different manufacturer amps together. The only downside I have found it that it's only one directional due to the transformer I believe. What I mean by that is you can only run one source in and be split as two outputs. I know there are some passive ABY switchers that can be run both ways i.e. the above scenario as well as take two sources and switch to one output like two guitars into one amp.
No, it is due to the active buffer. Standard passive transformer ones like my Bigshot ABY can be used both ways. (Transformers will transform in both directions!)

Andy.
Thanks Andy! I couldn't remember for sure.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
a.hun wrote: No, it is due to the active buffer. Standard passive transformer ones like my Bigshot ABY can be used both ways. (Transformers will transform in both directions!)

Andy.
Thanks Andy! I couldn't remember for sure.
Guess the easiest way to remember is that an active buffer is basically just like a small signal amplifier. And amps don't work so well backwards - plugging the wrong stuff into their outputs = not so good.

(Totally OT: Just like transformers ordinary passive loudspeakers can work backwards. In fact you can even use a loudspeaker as a microphone - true! See the sort of useless information my head is stuffed full of...? :roll:)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Rozz wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:17 am

I have managed to borrow a Fulltone Custom Shop Tru Path ABY ST, picking it up tomorrow, so that was lucky. I will report back, but I have no experience whatsoever of using 2 amps at once, so it will be really interesting for me. I was interested in your post I think Andy, where you like the Vox with orange. I have a little red Vox AC4C1, which I really like cranked, it gets quite loud especially through a PPC112, so I am going to try that. I'm looking forward to it.
Cheers
Rozz
I forgot all about this from a year ago. I just thought I would mention that I have ordered the Orange Detonator after having had the Fulltone on loan for a year, (it wasn't required back until now). Should come tomorrow, Saturday. I will have a chance to compare the two. Nothing wrong with the Fulltone but I have to give it back now so thought I would just order the Orange. Keep it fruity.
Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:39 pm

I have the twin city ABY. quiet, phase switch, ground lift. all I need.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof