Help, ABY switching. Orange Detonator and alternatives.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Help, ABY switching. Orange Detonator and alternatives.

Post by Rozz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi All, I need an ABY switcher and have been waiting for the Orange Amp Detonator Buffered ABY Switcher to be released, but it appears that they will not be available until the end of April. I can't really wait any more as I need one for next weekend 2nd April for a birthday party Gig, but wanted one asap so I can get used to it and incorporate it properly into the set. I can get the Tonebone Bones Twin-City ABY Guitar Effects Switcher from a number of sources as next day delivery. Can anybody recommend this one or suggest something else? I want to switch between a TH30 and CR120.
Thanks
Rozz
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

BeyondTheSunn

Re: Help, ABY switching. Orange Detonator and alternatives.

Post by BeyondTheSunn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi there,

I've been looking at several ABY pedals myself, the Morley ABY Mix Mixer/Combiner pedal looks really capable and handy. Really well priced too. :)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Do you have any friends with one? If it was me, I'd try to borrow one until the Orange comes out. I'd loan you mine but we're a fair distance apart.... :mrgreen:

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 am

bclaire wrote:Do you have any friends with one? If it was me, I'd try to borrow one until the Orange comes out. I'd loan you mine but we're a fair distance apart.... :mrgreen:
:lol:
Thanks Billy, I wish I could justify popping over to borrow it :D

I tried a Fender ABY (Little Helper?), but it hummed/switch popped like mad and I can't find anybody yet with a more sophisticated transformer/buffered one, but I am still looking. I have a few musician friends and hopefully someone has one somewhere. I think your right, it is probably worth waiting for the Orange Detonator as I am sure it will turn out to be very good and it needs to look the part as well 8)
Thanks.
Rozz
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:15 pm

If I didn't already have a Radial Big Shot ABY I'd be going for the ugly Orange thing myself. Sounds like it should be better than it looks! :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ot#p641708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If possible I'd definitely hold out for the ugly one!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Had the little dual and the split personality. They both affected the tone to where I could notice it.

Way back in the day I had the Framptone and it was awesome. Don't think they make them anymore through. I recently got a loopmaster AB pedal (which is awesome), but if I was in the market for an ABY it would probably be the Bigshot or Twin City (if you want active).

I think I'm preferring the passive switchers these days, as they don't seem to affect your tone as much. Plus if you have some decent buffers in your chain, you won't even tell they are there.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Had the little dual and the split personality. They both affected the tone to where I could notice it.

Way back in the day I had the Framptone and it was awesome. Don't think they make them anymore through. I recently got a loopmaster AB pedal (which is awesome), but if I was in the market for an ABY it would probably be the Bigshot or Twin City (if you want active).

I think I'm preferring the passive switchers these days, as they don't seem to affect your tone as much. Plus if you have some decent buffers in your chain, you won't even tell they are there.
Well that's the thing really. I don't mind a slight tone change from a transformer which you can always sort with a slight turn of an amp tone knob. But with a decent buffer even that isn't a problem any more. Perfectly happy with the Bigshot really, I mean I've got a Boss tuner which also works as...well a tuner. :lol:

But yeah, buffering what is basically a passive transformer loaded ABY was a smart move from Orange. Also TBH I was BS'ing on the looks. It is nowhere near as ugly as the Two Stroke. Dull maybe, but not really ugly. The two Stroke, now that is properly hideous. Probably very good, but not pretty!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:20 am

a.hun wrote:If I didn't already have a Radial Big Shot ABY I'd be going for the ugly Orange thing myself. Sounds like it should be better than it looks! :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ot#p641708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If possible I'd definitely hold out for the ugly one!

Andy.
Thanks All.

Andy, I showed your reply to my girlfriend, she said to me and I quote "Go for the ugly one, then it will match you." Charming, put me in my place :lol:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm

She sounds wonderful! :lol:

Andy.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:17 am

a.hun wrote:She sounds wonderful! :lol:

Andy.
She is really, puts up with me. I think it was a reaction to my not liking her new hat :roll:

I have managed to borrow a Fulltone Custom Shop Tru Path ABY ST, picking it up tomorrow, so that was lucky. I will report back, but I have no experience whatsoever of using 2 amps at once, so it will be really interesting for me. I was interested in your post I think Andy, where you like the Vox with orange. I have a little red Vox AC4C1, which I really like cranked, it gets quite loud especially through a PPC112, so I am going to try that. I'm looking forward to it.
Cheers
Rozz

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Yeah that'd have probably been me. Vox + Orange = special magic! 8)

Shame on you for not praising her new hat! (However silly it might happen to look - apparently that's not really relevant!) :lol:

Andy.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:02 am

I do have a Twincity and it's been flawless. It has enough capability that I've matched all sorts of different manufacturer amps together. The only downside I have found it that it's only one directional due to the transformer I believe. What I mean by that is you can only run one source in and be split as two outputs. I know there are some passive ABY switchers that can be run both ways i.e. the above scenario as well as take two sources and switch to one output like two guitars into one amp.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:31 am

The Radial stuff is very good, proper pro level and built to last.
Thinline_slim wrote:I do have a Twincity and it's been flawless. It has enough capability that I've matched all sorts of different manufacturer amps together. The only downside I have found it that it's only one directional due to the transformer I believe. What I mean by that is you can only run one source in and be split as two outputs. I know there are some passive ABY switchers that can be run both ways i.e. the above scenario as well as take two sources and switch to one output like two guitars into one amp.
No, it is due to the active buffer. Standard passive transformer ones like my Bigshot ABY can be used both ways. (Transformers will transform in both directions!)

Andy.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 am

a.hun wrote:The Radial stuff is very good, proper pro level and built to last.
Thinline_slim wrote:I do have a Twincity and it's been flawless. It has enough capability that I've matched all sorts of different manufacturer amps together. The only downside I have found it that it's only one directional due to the transformer I believe. What I mean by that is you can only run one source in and be split as two outputs. I know there are some passive ABY switchers that can be run both ways i.e. the above scenario as well as take two sources and switch to one output like two guitars into one amp.
No, it is due to the active buffer. Standard passive transformer ones like my Bigshot ABY can be used both ways. (Transformers will transform in both directions!)

Andy.
That's interesting. The Bigshot is very reasonably priced.
Rozz

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:22 am

It isn't too expensive at all. The Bigshot is fine for me. I looked at the more expensive Radial models too but realised it did exactly what I needed and no power needed. Only potential drawback is the slight but noticeable tone shift on the B side with the transformer engaged. But as mentioned above this 'problem' is easily enough sorted with any decent buffer eg any Boss pedal ever made.

If buying now though the buffered Orange Detonator would likely be my first choice. Unless I wanted to run backwards like in old Charlie Chaplain and Buster Keaton movies I guess.

Andy.