New Guitar Trouble

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: New Guitar Trouble

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm

I would think so. Intonation is set depending on string length between the nut and the saddle, and the string height between to the fret board.

If the truss rod is adjusted, it will change these variables, though minor tweaks will require only minor adjustments.

Setting up the action, neck relief and intonation is really easy - you should try to learn how to do it. I find it strangely therapeutic too. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I would think so. Intonation is set depending on string length between the nut and the saddle, and the string height between to the fret board.

If the truss rod is adjusted, it will change these variables, though minor tweaks will require only minor adjustments.

Setting up the action, neck relief and intonation is really easy - you should try to learn how to do it. I find it strangely therapeutic too. :)
As long as I have played I should know how, I'm just really lazy when it comes to that sort of thing
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: Setting up the action, neck relief and intonation is really easy - you should try to learn how to do it. I find it strangely therapeutic too. :)
i agree. when i learned how to do it myself i felt kind of stupid. now im slowly getting into the realm of building partscasters and i'd like to build a guitar from scratch soon.

btw glad your tech figured out the problem :)

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 pm

a.hun wrote:
mr_william wrote:i believe there's an old school of thought that suggests if you're removing strings, slacken the truss rod - as it's there to counteract the strings - no strings means no need to have the truss rod tightened. a google search will show up some info on this...
Nope, I'd not exactly be going along with that one. If removing the strings you should also be replacing them. There is no good reason not to have guitars strung unless you are actually working on them at the time, say doing a fret job or some such. Even then I don't think most techs would feel any inclination to slacken a correctly adjusted truss rod because it wouldn't be correctly adjusted any more. It is for adjusting the neck for string tension, and once correctly set is best left well alone or you'd need to start all over again.

Specifically with Gibsons though there is a good argument for shipping them with reduced string tension, that being to help reduce their neck breakage (@ headstock) thing. (Which can happen easily even inside a good fitting case!) Again though I'd be leaving the truss rod so it was adjusted for full string tension. Why exactly wouldn't you???

Andy.
sorry i wasn't more clear.

i'm not saying i agree with this, or whether or not it's worth doing; however, that doesn't make it any less of a thing. that's one explanation as to why you've got the guitar in this condition?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 am

mr_william wrote: sorry i wasn't more clear.

i'm not saying i agree with this, or whether or not it's worth doing; however, that doesn't make it any less of a thing. that's one explanation as to why you've got the guitar in this condition?
Ah, got you. Yes there is plenty of really bad advice and info out there on guitars, amps, life, the universe(s) and everything.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Got the guitar back, it is playing beautiful. I cranked it through my or50 and it sounds great. Humbukers will always be my favorite but there is something really nice about a p90 through an orange amp
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos