Amp simulators

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Amp simulators

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Hey guys. Been away for a long time. I actually picked up my tele for the first time in almost two years this weekend. I'm so happy to be playing again. But don't see myself vetting back into a band in the near future.

Unfortunately my little town home is too small for my rockerverb.... So I'm looking at alternative practise solutions.

Right now I just want something I can plug into my home stereo. No pedal board stuff I already got an line 6 HD 500. I want something small.

Any ideas? Looking at the Bax Bangeetar pedal and the tech 21 oxford right now....
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Amp simulators

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:10 am

I'm looking at getting a Yamaha THR 10 at the minute for home practice, might be worthwhile checking out.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm looking at getting a Yamaha THR 10 at the minute for home practice, might be worthwhile checking out.
++++1

Plugging stuff into your Hi-Fi rarely works well. Largely because hi-fi speakers are neither guitar speakers or monitor speakers. Those wee Yamahas seem like a good follow up to sliced bread though.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Thnks I'll look at that one too.

I should mention my stereo speakers are M audio reference monitors from when I used to record bands :)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:55 pm

I have the Oxford, and while it does sound better than direct, I just can seem to get it sounding like my actual amps. I had better luck with the Joyo Orange pedal. Was pretty close (through headphones) to my R30 TBH.

I was also looking into the Zoom G3. Looks like it could be a decent home practice tool. I think they even have an OR120 model in there. Cab sim, mic sim, room sim, all sorts of jolly stuff built in.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Got an iPhone or iPad? Why not try the BIAS app.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:19 am

Wired wrote:Thnks I'll look at that one too.

I should mention my stereo speakers are M audio reference monitors from when I used to record bands :)
Yeah with something designed to run into proper clean PA / monitor speakers that should work well enough. 8)

Lots of options I guess. I'm really fancying the wee Yamaha solution myself though.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:00 pm

How about a Kemper? I purchased one, and I'll tell you, haven't used my amps since... It is incredibly good.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:27 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:How about a Kemper? I purchased one, and I'll tell you, haven't used my amps since... It is incredibly good.
Tiny wee bitty more expensive though... :wink:

Andy.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm

lol yea if I wanted to put that kinda money into my gear that I haven't really used in two years I'd do that in a heart beat!

I'm just noodling around the house and have no interest in getting a band back together at this time, so I really just want something small and compact that I can run through my studio monitors and sound good. Don't really wanna spend more than $500 CAD either... I got a few FX units I could sell to fund it too.

No one locally has those Yamaha's for me to try out unfortunately :( but they look real interesting. I also don't got apple products so Bias is outa the question.

I'm looking right now at:

Tech 21 Oxford
Line6 Amplifi TT

I don't really want a pedal though I'm thinking. I want something that can take up permanent residence under my preamp in my audio cabinet. (just a small unit from Ikea that holds vinyls on one side, my preamp on the other, the two M-Audios on top plus my turntable). The Amplifi is cheap, and I can beam Bluetooth audio to it from my phone which would be neat and cancel out the need for another device.

A used Pod HD X rack mount would be badass too, or the original desktop version of the Vox Valvetronix unit.

Which opens up the idea of a Gmajor....? edit... Gmajor doesn't do amps. :)
-LK

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 am

Lol. Sorry, I am just so excited with the Kemper that I cant reccomend it enough.

Anyway, with your budget, you could look into the Atomic Amplifire. Althought it is pedal form, it seems to be a very cool piece of gear, and demos sound great. Never tried it though.

Cheers

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:46 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:Lol. Sorry, I am just so excited with the Kemper that I cant reccomend it enough.

Anyway, with your budget, you could look into the Atomic Amplifire. Althought it is pedal form, it seems to be a very cool piece of gear, and demos sound great. Never tried it though.

Cheers
yea I'd be excited about the Kemper too! I'd even look at getting one if I was as active with music as I was a few years ago. :)

I'll check out that Atomic. thanks!
-LK

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:04 pm

:D

So I picked up a Amplifi TT

I also ordered a Digitech Trio and a Mini-Terror!

The Amplifi TT is kinda what you expect. It's fun to play around with, its Line 6, so you know it comes with terrible bloody presets that we need to change right away. After about a half hour of tweaking I finally found some tones I liked.

The Orange tone is...disappointing. I was only using headphones, but it sounds like a mushy diaper fart. Really, as in true Line 6 style, the best tones are the clean blackface tones and the driven plexi tones. The AC30 tone is okay too, but being an AC30 freak... its more like a modern AC30 than a vintage one. Thats okay though.

I'm really excited about the Trio and the Mini-Terror though. Someone was buying the last one when I went and picked up the Amplifi. I used to own a Dual Terror and it was a favorite amp for sure. But this little guy will probably be exactly what I need! I'm nervous about the Trio as throwing it in front of a dirty amp may make it sound... gross. I'm very curious how they handle gain with that thing... but video reviews are impressive.

I'm getting the GAS though.... which isn't good because I'm not playing regularly....
-LK

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:18 am

The Trio has a bass/drum output and a guitar signal output option if you're able to run the bass/drums clean into a PA or home stereo apart from the MT.

Also, the Bax puts the Oxford to shame. The Bax is seriously and awesome pedal. Even saying its a "pedal" seems wrong as it doesn't react like any other amp-in-a-box. It's more like a studio preamp that's made to run at pedalboard impedences.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Know exactly what you mean about Line6 presets. They always do that and you always need to tweak them to get any real sounding sounds. I'd imagine a lot of people have been put off their stuff by those mostly horrible preset sounds. That thing should be really useful though.

No, they've never really yet got a proper handle on Orange sounds. That is what Amplitube is for I guess, and they are Orange certified too. :wink:

GAS is just a fact of life. Can be good if you are one of the people who is inspired to play better when they make the right choices. It isn't just about the particular gear though, more how useful you find it for getting useful sounds. I couldn't care less what people use as long as it helps them make better music.

Andy.