Yamaha Thr10C

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Yamaha Thr10C

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:27 am

Hello, So as much as I love turning my Orange Amps up unfortunately there are times when I need to turn down when playing at home ....I think I'm getting my head round that.

So looking for a dedicated home practise amp. My experience is that even 5watt of valve amp is still really too loud to get decent tone.

So solid state modelling seems the way to go, The Yamaha Thr10C seems to sound superb on Utube (and looks cool)-although not tried one yet , dedicated to blues Rock tones . Is anyone using one?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Yamaha Thr10C

Post by Bensnake » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:30 pm

I haven't tried the Yamaha though I've heard good things about it. I'm sure it does what it's made for. Did you consider buying an attenuator for your Oranges? I would like to try the Rivera RockCrusher. It's the King of attenuators, I've heard. Expensive yes but worth the money they say. I did order one for my plexi Marshall but canseled when I returned the Marshall.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Cheers Bensnake,

Not really , although Ive no experience of using attenuators it seems to me the attenuators work good using a big old amp for smaller gigs but i'm not sure they are really suitable for getting a good tone out of a valve amp at house friendly volumes, maybe someone will post something to confirm either way. Cost wise in any case they are not too far off the cost of the Thr.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:34 pm

I have the Jin Kelley attenuators which is very transparent. Just ordered a Fryette power station , hopefully arriving tomorrow.
Am away in Brussels next week but will get round to some comparisons

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:... but i'm not sure they are really suitable for getting a good tone out of a valve amp at house friendly volumes...
I believe they are. Some of them aren't that transparent though so be sure to get one that is. As said, the Rivera seems to do the trick.

http://youtu.be/bPsQR-T088c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Yamaha Thr10C (and amp attenuators)

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Dunky wrote:I have the Jin Kelley attenuators which is very transparent. Just ordered a Fryette power station , hopefully arriving tomorrow.
Am away in Brussels next week but will get round to some comparisons
So how good are they are attenuating valve amps to house friendly volumes? Changes in tone? Good tone at low house friendly volumes?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:40 pm

The Jim Kelley is good, it's a stepped attenuators.
I use with Tiny terror and OR 15 and can get to conversation levels using the MV at around 3 to 4 with both amps and a vintage 30 speaker. I have a greenback which is lower volume as less efficient. The OR 15 sounds louder than the TT though, can't fathom why.
Some tone change.
Works better with 8 ohm speakers I don't have an 8 ohm but you can run 2 16 ohms speakers from it to give a combined 8 ohm load. I have an old 10 inch speaker in a padded box to make the second speaker- sometimes run the v30 and greenback together
The Fryette is a reamp device, can reamp up to 5 watts. The interest for me is that it has an effects loop so can run delays etc after the TT and before the Fryette reamp.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Just a thought - as you're a Rockerverb man... how about giving a CR60C a go? Awesome RV based tone even at low volume. Plug and play, no messing and consistent. Sweeter than any modelling amp to my old ears anyways.
Rb
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 am

I've tried on of the Yamaha TH10 amp (a member of my band own one), and it's a great home amp. Difficult to find something wrong with this thing.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I have the THR10X, the high gain version. Its a great tool for practicing especially at apartment/bedroom levels, when I just want to plug in and jam to my favorite tunes. I find myself mostly sticking to the Brown I setting for my needs, the Clean setting is decent too. The hall reverb on this thing sounds HUGE, like its eminating from around you, rather than from tiny speakers in front of you, I'm not crazy about any of the modulation effects on it, phaser and flanger are horible, but I have plenty of pedals for that. Although the sound is warm and responsive...to a degree, like most solid state amps, the gain does not clean up well with volume knob roll off, it gets VERY transistory sounding, thin and staticy when you roll of your guitar's volume knob. That's really my only gripe with the amp. I do get some really nice lead tones with the gain on Brown I cranked and a touch of the reverb. What I really love about it is being able to hook up an ipod or phone and jam along with tunes. Its super easy to get the volumes just right as there are separate volume levels for your guitar and the aux input, and since both sounds are coming from the same source, I find it a better tool for learning songs by ear. I have no regrets about buying mine, its not gonna leave the house to jam with anyone, there's no way it could keep up with a drummer, and I'm a bit skeptical that anyone would use this thing to record with the line out on a professional level recording session like the Yamaha ads like to boast, but its a great little apartment amp.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

BlackArrow

Post by BlackArrow » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Did you try try the Micro Terror ?
Iit sounds very goog at bedroom levels and you can play it with either headphones or your cab.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:49 pm

I have a THR10 and I think it is a great practice amp. The cleans sound really good and the reverb is great. The reverbs are so good I wish Yamaha would make a reverb pedal with the plate and hall reverbs from the THR series. The acoustic and bass setting are better than I expected as well. The control software you can download really adds a lot.

A friend and I did a Stone Roses cover for fun. All of the guitar tone comes form the THR10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QMaGYMfRI

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks guys! Looks more to me like it's the thing to go for.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:42 am

I know a lot of people like the THR series. I got the C model and liked it initially but tired of it quickly. Give the new Marshall Code series a "look-see" on utoob. The 50 has a 12" driver. I think the tiny speakers on the THR are what soured me on that amp.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 am

BlackArrow wrote:Did you try try the Micro Terror ?
Iit sounds very goog at bedroom levels and you can play it with either headphones or your cab.
No effects, need a little cab. Not really in the same playground than modeling practice amps.