Another pickup recommendation post...DD50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Another pickup recommendation post...DD50

Post by apocalypsedude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 am

So I have two Les Pauls, one (a '93 Standard) has a Burstbucker II in the bridge and sounds killer thru my DD50. My other Les Paul ('06 Classic) has a Duncan 59/Custom, which although sounds great thru my Rocker 30, not so much through my DD50, very lackluster, no balls and sounds weak when cleaned up. I wanna be able to use the '06 as my main guitar.

Other than a Burstbucker II, is there any other pickup someone can recommend that sound good dirty or clean through a DD or Dark Terror? Trying to stay avoid from fizzy and harsh. I guess I could just use another Burstbucker II. Does anyone have any experience with Lace Sensor humbuggies? How about the Dimarzio Super Distortion? My band tunes down to C and it definitely has a way of weeding out what works and what doesn't, if you know what I mean.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Another pickup recommendation post...DD50

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:03 am

I've never used the DD50....but if you like the BB11 seems to me the 57 classic or classic plus may be a decent choice.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

shupe13
Tiny Terror

Post by shupe13 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:55 pm

If you like the '59/Custom on another amp, wouldn't a booster pedal or a distortion pedal be the better option? Other than that, Nazgul/Sentiant should kill.
2015 Gibson LP Studio
2015 Gibson LPM
2015 Gibson LP Junior

Orange Crush CR60 Pro

Orange Amplification - My daily dose of vitamin C!

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14 pm

I use a pair of BareKnuckle Mules in my LP Classic. Sounds awesome through my R30 head. Worth a look and a listen IMO.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

John_BlackWolf
Tiny Terror

Post by John_BlackWolf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm using the the Seymour Duncan WLH set in my ESP Eclipse for the DD50.
Dual Dark 50
PPC-212
Hardwired Tiny Terror

http://www.facebook.com/iLLUSTR8ORS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I've never used the DD50....but if you like the BB11 seems to me the 57 classic or classic plus may be a decent choice.
Ditto the 57 Classic.... or Plus

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:14 am

My vote is Super D's, but they definitely sound different from the other 2 choices. Personally I love them.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:04 pm

I have tons of guitars with different pups in them and I own the Dual Dark. The two best sounding that are available today are the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and the Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Aria Pro II, with a clear win for the Super Distortion. It just screams definition and harmonics. It just really stands out as the best match FOR THAT AMP out of all the various Duncan '59s, '57s, Maxons, Yamahas, Jacksons...the list goes on. I have that guitar tuned down a whole step at the moment and it's really the only one that maintains definition and doesn't get "wooly" if you know what i mean. :D

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Wendigo wrote:I have tons of guitars with different pups in them and I own the Dual Dark. The two best sounding that are available today are the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and the Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Aria Pro II, with a clear win for the Super Distortion. It just screams definition and harmonics. It just really stands out as the best match FOR THAT AMP out of all the various Duncan '59s, '57s, Maxons, Yamahas, Jacksons...the list goes on. I have that guitar tuned down a whole step at the moment and it's really the only one that maintains definition and doesn't get "wooly" if you know what i mean. :D
Fantastic! I was wondering about the Dimarzio Super Distortion, a lot of my favorite stoner rock guys use that pup (Sword, Scott Wino, etc.) Sounds like a good option, any recommendation for something that matches it in the neck position?
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:52 pm

The only neck pickup I have in any guitar that's not over 30-40 years old is the Duncan JN and it sounds pretty rad...nice and clear but with lots of guts. Maybe someone else can recommend something because I only have the original pups out of several old and non-typical guitars. The Strat that I sold had a Fender Custom Shop Fat '50 neck pup that sounded amazing, but sngle coil.