Mini Clean Tube Head?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Mini Clean Tube Head?

Post by Thinline_slim » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:24 pm

You might try one of the Peavey micro heads. They have a Classic 20 head that is TT small. I haven't played one but it might be worth a look.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Yea they got a couple of those at the store but I think they are more geared forngaim sounds. I'll check em out.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:36 am

I don't know why no one has mentioned the Micro Terror, it has excellent cleans if you set the gain in the correct position.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:37 pm

VHT? No personal experience but they seem good value.
Paul.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:27 pm

MT doesn't have enough hear room. I had one for a few months. Havnt looked into vht. I'll check it out.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 am

Then you should probably look into 50 watts at least. If VHT maybe their solid-state heads.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:13 am

I would have added a Carvin V3M in the list. A bit over your price new, but a used one fits the bill.
Great clean tone.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 am

Well I keep seeing the Traynor Iron Horse showing up locally, and it would honestly be perfect except for the fact it is 8 ohms. Might just stick with my original plan and wait for a cheap DRRI, or YCV40 to pop up on Kijiji. These micro heads don't offer much value.

I did come across a tubemeister18 head, and a excelsior combo. Both are 18 watts so I'm not sure how much headroom they will have.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Well I keep seeing the Traynor Iron Horse showing up locally, and it would honestly be perfect except for the fact it is 8 ohms. Might just stick with my original plan and wait for a cheap DRRI, or YCV40 to pop up on Kijiji. These micro heads don't offer much value.

I did come across a tubemeister18 head, and a excelsior combo. Both are 18 watts so I'm not sure how much headroom they will have.
15w (blues junior, tiny terror), 18w or 22w like the drri are pretty much all the same thing in terms of headroom. What you need is something around 50w. Have you looked into a 2nd hand RV50??? :P
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 am

My biggest requirement is portability. I want another throw over the shoulder lunchbox amp. Plus there ins't much point in getting a RV50 is I'm only playing cleans through it.

I'm leaning towards a used 40 watt DRRI, or Traynor YCV. I had the YCV40WR years ago and it was pretty amazing. The only amp I regret selling TBH. Not many coming up used these days.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:46 am

I was only kidding when suggesting the RV50..... :P

I wish I could get my hands on one of those Traynor. I'd really like to try one!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:19 pm

If it's the best in portability my choice would be a dual terror!

I may be forced into getting one if I'm still rockin in another 20 years :D
Paul.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Yea DT could be an option but for that kind of money, I could get something that is much more "clean".

It would probably be the best setup to run my R30C next to a Traynor YCV combo. Pretty much what I always wanted anyway. Some of the heads I've been looking at are up around 1K, so I don't see why I don't just get a combo for a few hundred less. I always missed my Traynor YCV40WR so might be a good time to get one again. Also not a bad idea as it sounded brilliant with my acoustic through it and I'm staring up an acoustic project.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:52 pm

okay okay.

I think I've finally decided on what I'm looking for. The Traynor YCV40 is nice but I want something more stripped down, think single channel, no el, no reverb, no trem, three band EQ, >15 watts. So my dream amp may not exist without taking out a second mortgage but I found a few local options that tick most of the boxes.

1. Princeton re-issue: Love the size, great tone, but not sure the 12 watts is goona be enough clean headroom for practicing. Live I will always be miced so not an issue.
2. Blues JR III: Again very portable, stripped down on the features, the new ones have some sparkle mod to help out the clean tone. Again I'm not sure the 15 watts will be enough.
3. Supro: Oh man... Saw a few of these locally and I like them LOTS! One of the amps only has a volume and tone which would be perfect. Problem is there is nothing up used, and I just got a new acoustic so I need second hand, or someone willing to trade for some old gear.
4. Ibanez TSA30C: As you know I was planning to get the 15 watt head version of this guy, but remembered they also have a 30 watt combo. Seems like it would do the trick but have heard of some reliability issues, not to mention it's close to 1K CAD, which makes it a horrible deal compared to similar priced amps from other brands.

So can anyone find me/recommend a single channel 1X12 that has more than 15 watts with no extra features?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 pm

See if you can't find an old Mesa Studio 22 or the 20W Subway Blues. Both are really nice amps (don't think modern 'Mesa' at all!) and okay priced s/h on you're side of the pond. Only issue can be board overheating from the power valves with the '22, otherwise they are also both beautifully made.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!