Clean tone dual dark 50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Chuck Ghad
Tiny Terror

Clean tone dual dark 50

Post by Chuck Ghad » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey guys,
I hope you are all sticking it to the man this Christmas season. I've recently purchased a HSS american deluxe shawbucker strat. And obviously there are some good clean tones to showcase, as well as some dirty ones. I was experimenting, and found that i got some really nice fat dirty tones off of chanel A. Does anyone know a good clean tone for the dual dark, preferably out of channel B?
Play till you slay

Amps:
Orange Dual Dark with PPC 212
Line 6 spider

Effects:
DD-3
SD-1
NS-2
Spark Booster
Crybaby Wah

Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton
HSS American Deluxe Fender Strat Shawbucker
Fender standard Telecaster

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Clean tone dual dark 50

Post by afjungemann » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:31 am

On channel B, the shape knob sounds best to my ear with my guitars around noon. It might move either way a little from time to time. Gain is rolled off to my liking. However, I have been dialing in channel A as of late and have found some glorious tone with it. I cat remember what the settings were but something like bass at 10-11 o'clock, mids at 1-2, highs maxed out.

I will double check when I get back to my amp but that is what I am remembering.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:38 pm

See my other thread about looking for a pedal to sparkle up Channel B. I ultimately realized that my Les Paul with a Burstbucker II in the bridge was a night and day improvement over my other LP with a Duncan when using channel B on the Dual Dark 50(loving the amp btw). I run my shift knob around 1 to 2 oclock, slightly mid scooped like a Fender would be. Gain around 10:00 or 11:00. I usually have the amps volume knob around noon, to me it really starts to open up there, if its too loud for practice, I flip the amp over to 25 watt mode, or use the attenuator. That way I get sort of an early AC/DCish crunch with my volume on the guitar up and a hard pick attack, roll the volume off slightly and lighten my attack, cleans up beautifully. I do however tune down to C standard on a Les Paul, might be worth noting, but I get a nice clean tone with those settings.

I also might add that I installed a simple and inexpensive treble bleed circuit on both the volume pots of my Les Paul, that way I don't lose the highs when rolling off volume, it stays the same tone wise, doesn't muddy up when I roll the volume off. You can find the treble bleed circuits at Stewmac.com, I soldered them to two alligator clips so they just clip on the lugs on the volume pot in the control cavity. It was much easier to experiment with in case I didn't like the sound, but I love it, so they're staying.

I'm finding that I would rather tweak my guitars to get things to sound the way I want rather than finding a pedal to do it...less stuff on the floor and in between my guitar and amp. The Dual Dark 50 is very responsive to different guitars and pickups.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:28 pm

afjungemann wrote:I'm finding that I would rather tweak my guitars to get things to sound the way I want rather than finding a pedal to do it...less stuff on the floor and in between my guitar and amp. The Dual Dark 50 is very responsive to different guitars and pickups.
Amen to this! I find this to be true of any orange amp I have played through and one of the biggest draws for me. Orange amps have a very transparent tone that doesn't really color the guitar.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:01 pm

afjungemann wrote:
afjungemann wrote:I'm finding that I would rather tweak my guitars to get things to sound the way I want rather than finding a pedal to do it...less stuff on the floor and in between my guitar and amp. The Dual Dark 50 is very responsive to different guitars and pickups.
Amen to this! I find this to be true of any orange amp I have played through and one of the biggest draws for me. Orange amps have a very transparent tone that doesn't really color the guitar.
Responsive? Yeah definitely, but I don't know about that last bit... :?

In fact I've said before here that Orange amps are among the most highly coloured amps out there! (And I do mean sound-wise too!) You want to experience something relatively tonally transparent which doesn't really impart it's own strong colour to a guitar tone you maybe want to try a Hiwatt. (You should too, they are also truly wonderful amps!)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:27 pm

a.hun wrote:
afjungemann wrote:
Responsive? Yeah definitely, but I don't know about that last bit... :?

In fact I've said before here that Orange amps are among the most highly coloured amps out there! (And I do mean sound-wise too!) You want to experience something relatively tonally transparent which doesn't really impart it's own strong colour to a guitar tone you maybe want to try a Hiwatt. (You should too, they are also truly wonderful amps!)

Andy.
I'm wondering whether afjungemann is referring to the different tones and tone texturesc you can get with say , changing from one guitar to another or using different pickup's. It's one reason why I like to use different guitars for different sounds / songs , you really can hear the difference (not exclusive to Orange of course !)
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:48 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm wondering whether afjungemann is referring to the different tones and tone texturesc you can get with say , changing from one guitar to another or using different pickup's. It's one reason why I like to use different guitars for different sounds / songs , you really can hear the difference (not exclusive to Orange of course !)
Yeah maybe, I'm not sure exactly what afjungemann meant. There is nothing wrong with transparent, uncoloured, but if that is what you are looking for then an Orange is about the last place you'll find it. I mean anything played through an Orange sounds like it is being played through an Orange, so the exact opposite of what I take those particular terms to mean.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:07 am

a.hun wrote:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm wondering whether afjungemann is referring to the different tones and tone texturesc you can get with say , changing from one guitar to another or using different pickup's. It's one reason why I like to use different guitars for different sounds / songs , you really can hear the difference (not exclusive to Orange of course !)
Yeah maybe, I'm not sure exactly what afjungemann meant. There is nothing wrong with transparent, uncoloured, but if that is what you are looking for then an Orange is about the last place you'll find it. I mean anything played through an Orange sounds like it is being played through an Orange, so the exact opposite of what I take those particular terms to mean.

Andy.
My bad. I did get a little screwy with my words. I agree that you get an orange tone but I meant that the difference in tone between a p90 vs burstbucker pro is pretty distinct in most amps but with an orange, the subtle nuances are more pronounced even when the pickup change isn't nearly as extreme as p90 to humbucker.

Transparent wouldn't be the right word... What would the word be to describe that?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:07 am

Responsive.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:42 am

afjungemann wrote:Transparent wouldn't be the right word... What would the word be to describe that?
Yeah, 'responsive' (as apocalypsedude said) to different pickups fits better. Dead right too, I know what you mean. Some amps, especially with drive, just make everything sound much the same. Oranges have much more character than most amps out there though! 8)

Andy.

John_BlackWolf
Tiny Terror

Post by John_BlackWolf » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Shape at 3:30 oclock. Master volume on 12:00. Gain as high as stays clean or gets you the volume you want.
Dual Dark 50
PPC-212
Hardwired Tiny Terror

http://www.facebook.com/iLLUSTR8ORS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;