NBD! (Rickenbacker content...)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

NBD! (Rickenbacker content...)

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 am

Totally unexpected find, major splurge. Brand new (2015, week 25) 4003W. (Walnut body, maple neck and board).

Always lusted after a really nice Ricky bass but never found a great one actually for sale until I went into a shop here for some guitar strings. Bleedin' expensive set of strings that turned out to be...

Wasn't well set up, had too much neck relief (Rickys work best set near dead straight) and the p/up balance wasn't right at all. But the basics were all there, amazing resonance and sustain, great feel. Surprisingly light too (3.7kg = 8.1lb) which I like a lot. After an initial shop set up (and losing the p/up cover!) it was much better, though I'm still fine tuning things.

I love darker natural woods so I think it looks stunning.

@ Randy: Remember my Marleaux fretless from HERE? Well here's a double derrière shot just for you... :wink:

I may even be jealous of myself! :mrgreen:

This thing can (of course) rock - and it's true, nothing else sounds or plays like a Ricky bass. Apart from various famous prog users (John Entwistle, Roger Waters, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee) they were pretty popular with punk bassists too. (Apparently s/h Rickys were pretty cheap back in the late '70s - things have changed some there!) But anyway I think I'm calling this new one 'Posh Punk'. Keep finding myself doing double takes seeing it in the corner of our living room. 'Just LOOK at THAT!' I keep thinking to myself. Fair to say I'm one pretty happy puppy right now. Going to have some real fun with this one I think - I like it a lot! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gray
Orange Expert

Re: NBD! (Rickenbacker content...)

Post by Gray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Wow, 8.1lb is lighter than some of my guitars. That really is a beautiful bass, I bet you're happy. :)

It's interesting that you mentioned its use in punk, i'm sure you're referring more to artists like Kira Roessler from Black Flag but the 4003 is also commonly associated with Peter Hook from Joy Division when in actuality his bass was a Hondo copy of a Rickenbacker 4003. It's cool as long as you're famous. :lol:

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm not a massive Ricky fan myself but that looks blimmin' lovely! Congrats on the new 'set of strings'!
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Super cool! Enjoy
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Cheers guys! :D
Gray wrote:Wow, 8.1lb is lighter than some of my guitars. That really is a beautiful bass, I bet you're happy. :)
Certainly am.

Yes it is pretty light, though both my fretless basses are lighter. The Marleaux fretless is very light, only about 7.2lb. That is actually lighter than any of my standard solid body guitars! (Marleaux Nyelectric solid nylon string though is only 6.65lb.)

Other end of the scale was the rather meaty Squier CV Tele I left at a mate's place in England recently. That weighs 4.23kg = over 9.3lb, just nuts for a Tele. I only have one bass which is (very slightly) heavier than that one! (Yes I went and weighed them all a while back!) :lol:

Back in the original punk era (late '70s) it was the 4001; the 4003 only came out a little later. Lots of those bands used them, The Clash, Pistols, Jam, Damned, Generation X...

Hondo eh? Rickenbacker seem to come down pretty hard on any copies. (RIC actually trademarked the shapes of their bodies, headstocks, parts etc.) Personally as long as they aren't actually claiming to be the real thing I have less of a problem. Always quite fancied an Ibanez copy for example, but again never found a decent one for sale. Not so worried about that now.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:30 am

That is one of the nicest Rickenbackers I've ever seen. I have always assumed that I wouldn't like the sound, but they look great.

The Marleaux is simply Earth-Shattering though. There aren't that many bass shapes out there that I actually like, and they have managed to come up with something classic and original at the same time.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:33 am

Really nice! I love the look of Rickenbacker basses, especially the black/white ones though I must say yours is a beauty for sure. Enjoy! :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 am

Awesome looking Ric! Congrats on picking it up, Andy!

I played a 4001 years ago. I mainly use my fingers on bass, and the bridge pickup surround was destroying my hand (ha!). But everything else about it was fantastic. The sound and the action are amazing. They're so darned playable! Great feel on those basses. I'm sure you'll love it. I bet it's great through the Hiwatt. :D

Enjoy! And get us some more pics!

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:37 am

Congrats Andy!!!! Lovely looking bass!!!!

I'd love to see some pics of that body in better lighting. It already looks pretty impressive as it is!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Nicceeee!!!

I always think of them as having a bit more character over a Fender P (sonically I mean). Congrats, enjoy Andy.
Paul.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:14 pm

That is absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe it only weighs 8.1 pounds, that is terrific for a bass. I've always had a thing for Rick basses ever since I saw Rush way back in '81. Can you bust out some 2112 for me? :)
Greg

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Or this :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vxy ... etta_music
Norrin Radd wrote:... I've always had a thing for Rick basses ever since I saw Rush way back in '81. Can you bust out some 2112 for me? :)
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:That is absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe it only weighs 8.1 pounds, that is terrific for a bass. I've always had a thing for Rick basses ever since I saw Rush way back in '81. Can you bust out some 2112 for me? :)
Thanks. And I could have a pretty good bash at 2112. It was about the first thing I ever learnt on bass. (Sad but true...) Stuff like that you don't forget too fast.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... dy#p565816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd have to relearn Red Barchetta though, along with most of that other stuff I used to sit and work out whenever the new Rush album came out. Until they lost me anyway when they went too synth-poppy. They did get me back again a few albums ago, Snakes and Arrows has some classy stuff again. But I've not sat and worked them out the same way... no Rickys now! :lol:
OrangePaul wrote:I always think of them as having a bit more character over a Fender P (sonically I mean). Congrats, enjoy Andy.
Oh sure, Rickys sound pretty distinctive. Though TBH nothing else really sounds like a Fender P either. (Certainly not a 'J' bass!)
Ironically Precisions, though about as basic as it gets, are basses you could probably use in (way) more different styles of music than either 'J' or Ricky basses. Actually right now I can't think of any styles (band anyway, not talking orchestral etc. :wink:) where you couldn't use a 'P' very effectively. I'm not quite sure you could say that about a Ricky, but I'll do my best to find out. Do love my 'P' and 'J' style basses too though, it's all good.
Les Paul Lover wrote:I'd love to see some pics of that body in better lighting. It already looks pretty impressive as it is!!!
Lighting isn't so good in Holland at this time of the year. :oops:
Bensnake wrote:Really nice! I love the look of Rickenbacker basses, especially the black/white ones though I must say yours is a beauty for sure. Enjoy! :D
Thanks. I like most of the different finishes myself, would have been happy with pretty much any one. But the walnut isn't too shoddy looking right enough.
fiveightandten wrote:I played a 4001 years ago. I mainly use my fingers on bass, and the bridge pickup surround was destroying my hand (ha!). But everything else about it was fantastic. The sound and the action are amazing. They're so darned playable! Great feel on those basses. I'm sure you'll love it. I bet it's great through the Hiwatt. :D
Yeah, just can't live with that p/up cover...
And oh yeah, it sounds really great through the Hiwatt. And through the OR120 - of course. And being stereo I could even split pickups between both amps. Now that could be interesting...

Yeah the 4000 series feel is pretty unique and very nice. They are actually a little shorter scale than Fenders (33 1/4'') which I hadn't realised before. But the big thing is the way the neck doesn't widen too much at all higher up. If the action is set right (meaning low but clean) they practically play themselves.

Strange things though Rickenbackers. A mate of mine says that if it is possible to do it differently than Rickenbacker probably will do it differently. Having tried and been talked through a couple of Ricky guitars / basses he has owned I can see what he means. I mean...
Bakelite nuts? Those daft prehistoric string dampers? Mono / Stereo output? A bass cut cap on a bass guitar's bridge p/up? Reversed string pairs on their 12 strings?
But then they also raise some important questions. Like why doesn't everyone fit dual truss rods for example? And most important of all, why are Rickys always so damn difficult to get hold of? (2+ years waiting time according to the shop owner.)
Randy Bass wrote:That is one of the nicest Rickenbackers I've ever seen. I have always assumed that I wouldn't like the sound, but they look great.

The Marleaux is simply Earth-Shattering though. There aren't that many bass shapes out there that I actually like, and they have managed to come up with something classic and original at the same time.
Well yeah there is no guarantee you'd like the Rick sounds for your own playing. They are pretty different sounding. But you'd probably love the feel of a well set up Ricky regardless, and they certainly do look great. The quality of finish on the various coloured ones is just legendary. Mine has a fairly open very lightly oiled finish though, and nothing like as slinky as the Marleaux.

If you ever get a chance to play a Marleaux Consat you'd probably never want to let go of it again. They honestly feel just as good as they look. There are some curves on them which are just impossibly beautiful (and tactile!), and I can't even work out how they carve them by hand. Frankly mine makes even the nice Ricky look like a plank.
Only thing I'd say against most Consats is that the woods can be way too fancy for my tastes, but that is (mostly) down to the individual customer's specs. You checked out the gallery on their site? Have a wee scroll down HERE to see what I mean.

Some I do lust after of course. To pick just one recent one, well sunbursts are nice, but a sunset?
https://www.facebook.com/marleauxbass/p ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally stunning, but would / could YOU actually use that on stage? I'd be pretty wary of playing that beauty out on a pub gig myself anyway. :lol:

No big worries with simple wood finishes like those two though. The Ricky will def. get played out, and the Consat already has it's first minor bash where a cheap and heavy acoustic guitar fell against it. No big worry. Way I see it they are for playing, not just hanging on a wall.

Andy.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I'd love to see some pics of that body in better lighting.
Bit lazy this, but I spotted that the shop had put a shop window pic of it on their FB page...

Nice '07 Dusenberg next to it, and yes Gretsch fans, that shop is indeed the place to go here for them - the owner is a total Gretsch fanatic.

Andy.
Last edited by a.hun on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Man, what a beauty! Congratulations, my bandmate plays a Ric. Great guitars too... Always gassing for a 330, personally.