Overdrive for TH30 clean channel?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

zorro

Overdrive for TH30 clean channel?

Post by zorro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:14 am

Hi, any recommendations? Would like the possibility to get som crunch (more than breakup) out of the clean channel as well. Without too much mid hump. Zilions of pedals out there.

/z
TH30H | MICRO TERROR | PPC212OB | PPC108 | BOSS KATANA HEAD
FENDER AMERICAN DELUXE STRAT HSS | SQUIER TELE CVC | WASHBURN HB30

Slartibartfarst42
Tiny Terror

Re: Overdrive for TH30 clean channel?

Post by Slartibartfarst42 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:05 pm

I use a Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive. It's built like a tank, has some really great tones in it and it's dirt cheap. I think I managed to get mine new for £45!!! It will go from crunch to Metal quite easily, will take endless punishment in a live set up and currently covers most of what I play. I only use the amp's Drive channel for some heavier songs now while most of our set is covered by the Hardwire pedal. It's one of the best Overdrives I've ever used and at the price is untouchable.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 with Creamery Double Six and '59 pickups
Fender Stratocaster with DiMarzio Virtual Solo, Area 58 and Area 61 pickups
Orange TH30
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Hardwire Overdrive
Nova System

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I use an MXR Il Torino Overdrive with the clean channel on my TH30. It's got a full EQ and 2 modes (Boost & Overdrive...not footswitchable though) so it covers a pretty broad range of sounds.
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Fulltone OCD. I had a TH30 for a week, the clean channel sounded glorious with the OCD.

Dollywitch
Tiny Terror

Post by Dollywitch » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:12 am

Visual sound Jekyll 'n' Hyde. I have the Son of Hyde pedal and even that has really nice OD/breakup tones. There's a treble boost which will help brighten things up. Really chunky low end. Will give you a different texture of high gain tone, less fuzzy but can get pretty doomy on some settings with the neck pickup.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:01 am

I'm using an Xotic RC booster after a Wampler Euphoria and Maxon OD808. I leave the RC on to push the amp and warm everything up, then add the Euphoria for more dirt and the tubescreamer for over-the-top leads. The Euphoria is extremely versatile and can be a clean boost or crunch/dirt drive without the mid hump, so I'd recommend that if you want to cover a lot of territory with just one! I personally don't care for the gain on the RC booster so I always run it as a clean boost.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:57 pm

Along this same thread; I am using an Orange Crush 20RT as my daily practice amp. It has two channels; clean and dirty. Is there anything to be gained by using an overdrive pedal with this amp? Will the dirty channel do just as well for that thick crunch I am looking for while playing blues with my Gib LP? I have been looking at the Boss blues driver and the Ibanez tube screamer, but wonder if I would be throwing money away. Thanks. Rip

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:57 pm

Along this same thread; I am using an Orange Crush 20RT as my daily practice amp. It has two channels; clean and dirty. Is there anything to be gained by using an overdrive pedal with this amp? Will the dirty channel do just as well for that thick crunch I am looking for while playing blues with my Gib LP? I have been looking at the Boss blues driver and the Ibanez tube screamer, but wonder if I would be throwing money away. Thanks. Rip

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Rip wrote:Along this same thread; I am using an Orange Crush 20RT as my daily practice amp. It has two channels; clean and dirty. Is there anything to be gained by using an overdrive pedal with this amp? Will the dirty channel do just as well for that thick crunch I am looking for while playing blues with my Gib LP? I have been looking at the Boss blues driver and the Ibanez tube screamer, but wonder if I would be throwing money away. Thanks. Rip
Have a look at the xotic EP booster.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks Ronne for the tip to check out the exotic XP pedal; I just watched a number of UTube videos reviewing this pedal including the review by Kenny Greenberg and I think that this may be what I was looking for. The price point of $116 seems reasonable from what I saw on the demo videos. Thanks. Rip

zorro

Post by zorro » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks for all advices and tips! I will try all the mentioned pedals I can get hold on.

/z
TH30H | MICRO TERROR | PPC212OB | PPC108 | BOSS KATANA HEAD
FENDER AMERICAN DELUXE STRAT HSS | SQUIER TELE CVC | WASHBURN HB30