Pedal to "sparkle up" the Dark Terror circuit?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Pedal to "sparkle up" the Dark Terror circuit?

Post by apocalypsedude » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:40 pm

I actually own the Dual Dark 50, but trying to use Channel B, the Dark Terror channel as more of a cleanish- low gain channel. It seems to just wanna have the gain cranked :lol: Maybe I'm trying to squeeze a Fenderish sound out of an Orange and that's not what it was made for, but I'm trying to get some more ummm, dunno the word here...response, or sparkle out of it? Seems a bit flat sounding to me and as I said it wants just have the gained cranked, the notes just don't seem to "bloom". People talk about being surprised by the clean tones on the Dark Terror amps, what am I doing wrong?

I run Les Pauls with humbuggies tuned to C, maybe that's my issue and I need a single coil or P90, but I 'm looking for a pedal to either run out front or in the loop. EP booster in front? Maybe a compressor or perhaps just an EQ?

Preamp tubes in the amp are stock, I believe PM. Running through a 4x12 with V30s that are broken in. Maybe try different preamp tubes or speakers?

Pretty happy with Channel A for my dirt, I run the B channel with the Vol around noon, shape at about 2:00, gain around 10:00. Not trying to get pristine cleans here, going for gritty low gain (think QOTSA, verses to Know One Knows) with my guitar volume up all the way and a slightly dirty clean with volume rolled off.

Any recommendations, or am I comparing apples to Oranges? (pun intended)
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Re: Pedal to "sparkle up" the Dark Terror circuit?

Post by snickerpuss » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:23 am

I highly recommend a Keeley modded Boss BD-2 or Keeley Blues Drive. Both are very dynamic and responsive to picking and guitar volume, plus their wide, flat boost style really opens up the high frequencies definitely accenting that "sparkle". Both are great, Blues Drive is a little more hi-fi and has an active treble/bass tone stack, but the bd-2 feels like it's got a bit more mojo.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 am

Yeah that sounds like a plan, you described exactly what I'm looking for snickerpuss. I have a TC Spark, but I like that in my loop for a solo boost. Badass pedal. I noticed that Mooer makes the Blues Mood, maybe a Chinese knockoff of a modded Blues Driver? It has a bright/ fat switch on it.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
SG Standard 1992

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:11 am

I'm thinking compressor (I'm using the dyna Comp with my Tele, I like it very much) and an EQ pedal.

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Different pick?
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:43 pm

The first thing I'd try is using Channel A for cleans and Channel B for distortion. That's the way I run mine. The EQ on channel A will allow you to dial in a great gritty "clean" sound. Channel B just isn't really voiced for cleans IMO.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:02 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:The first thing I'd try is using Channel A for cleans and Channel B for distortion. That's the way I run mine. The EQ on channel A will allow you to dial in a great gritty "clean" sound. Channel B just isn't really voiced for cleans IMO.
Yeah, only problem is I love the response of the A channel when using it for leads, it just rips. Truly a great all around voicing for riffing. Throw the TC Spark in the loop for leads on channel A, and its probably the best lead tone I've ever had. But I could do some experimenting with the B channel as my main dirt tone next time.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
SG Standard 1992

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Mxr microamp is an always on for me... just not with my l.p. cause those humbuckers are loud and crystal clear. You might wanna look at en eq pedal if it's just the shape of the tone that's bothering you.
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm

You don't say how much use the valves have had, are they due a change?

EP booster is a booster I really like it does add a little treble with the extra gain and certainly gives a valve amp a lift when working below its optimal volume.

The T spark is supposed to be good at adding sparkle although I've never tried one.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:01 pm

I got the amp early this past summer, band practices usually once or twice a week, so I don't think there's a lot of hours on them. I run the attenuator up around 9:00 or 10:00 typically to get some more beef at a reasonable volume, but from what I understand the design of the attenuator on Orange amps doesn't put more strain on the tubes anyway (I could be totally off here).

I wonder if throwing some JJ or EHX pre amp tubes in would get her where I want?
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
SG Standard 1992

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:28 pm

I'm also wondering how much of this has to do with the C down tuning on a Les Paul, just being naturally darker sounding and "duller"? I don't use super heavy strings (11 to 48 I think), not going for the super tight metal sound, more of a chunky stoner rock, heavy rock thing.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
SG Standard 1992

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:57 pm

I prefer a 25.5" scale and Ernie Ball 2215 (10-52) for tuning down, but that's more of a feel thing. My band plays similar music to what you mentioned, but we're generally in drop C. I can see it sounding pretty dark on a Les Paul being 2 steps down. Thicker strings or longer scale length could help.

I set the attenuator knob around 9 o'clock and defeat it with the 2 button footswitch to get a solo boost when needed. I went from the TH100 to the DD50, so I've been used to channel B being my dirty and channel A being my clean. The main difference is my clean is now a little hairier than I could ever get it on the TH100. However, clean tones are few and far between in the music I play currently.

If you want channel B to be brighter an EQ pedal in the loop may be your best bet, but then you'd have to turn it on and off when switching channels. I try to minimize the 2 foot tap dancing :lol:
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 pm

I recommend the Xotic SP compressor pedal. Love that thing. It is the quietest compressor I've ever used. The blend knob is so handy and set low it can make the effect very subtle. That's mostly the way I use it. I leave it on almost all the time. Great for adding that little bit of sparkle to your clean tone.

I also really like the Hardwire CR-7. I was never really a fan of chorus pedals until I got that one. Like the SP compressor it can be set to be a very subtle effect. I leave mine on most of the time and set it to add just a little bit of shimmer to my tone.

Whenever I am really trying to sparkle up my tone. I play my classic vibe tele. I still can't get over how good these moderately priced guitars are. Single coil pickups are going to get you more sparkle than humbuckers.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Figured out my problem, Oranges are very sensitive or should I say reactive to pickups/ different guitars, tried my other Les Paul, my "#1", and BAM theres the sound I've looking for on channel B! That guitar has a Burstbucker II in the bridge and it sounds righteous, my other LP has a Duncan 59/ Custom in the bridge which I normally like for the heavy riffs and leads, but it sounds too thin and dull on the Dark Terror channel for lower gain stuff.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
SG Standard 1992

Dollywitch
Tiny Terror

Post by Dollywitch » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:05 am

Buy a Jaguar ;)