Multi-FX

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Slartibartfarst42
Tiny Terror

Multi-FX

Post by Slartibartfarst42 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 pm

This is just a question about effects, not amp modelling as I love my Orange amp.

My amp is a TH30 going through an Orange 1X12 and at the moment I run the following set up:

Guitar - Korg Tuner - 535Q - Hardwire Overdrive - Amp - Boss GE7 - Boss GE7 (for solo boosts) - ISP Decimator - Hardwire Delay - Hardwire Reverb - Amp

All of this fits very nicely onto my pedalboard, though there isn't any spare space. I'd now like to toy with adding a few other effects that I may not use as regularly but the only way I can fit them onto the available space is to go with a more compact option. Two possibilities leap to mind, the Line 6 M9 and the TC Nova System. Both seem to have a good reputation but both have limited routing options and that raises a couple of concerns because all effects will either be in front of the amp or in the loop. I was under the impression that overdrives, distortions and compressors don't work well in the loop and modulation effects don't work well in front of the amp so surely that means I could only ever use half the system in either unit. Is that right? I should point out that I don't mind keeping my existing Overdrive pedal as I don't need a completely all-in-one solution.

The obvious advantage with the M9 is the almost endless options but I believe the overdrives on the M9, meaning I'd certainly keep my Hardwire Overdrive pedal are poor but I could keep the Hardwire Overdrive pedal. The drives on the Nova System are apparently much better but if I used the Drives here in front of the amp, how would that impact on the other effects that are conventionally located in the loop?

A lot of my issues may be down to not understanding how these things work but basically:

1) Which one would work best with my amp?
2) Which of my existing effects would I be best keeping with each one of these options?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 with Creamery Double Six and '59 pickups
Fender Stratocaster with DiMarzio Virtual Solo, Area 58 and Area 61 pickups
Orange TH30
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Hardwire Overdrive
Nova System