Help a brotha out?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Help a brotha out?

Post by snickerpuss » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:45 am

I've been working on a project for three days straight, and lately, to keep from going insane, I've been taking little breaks to learn some of my favorite solos (I very rarely learn or try to figure out other's solos). I've figured out Yet Another Movie by Pink Floyd, Kiss on my List by Hall and Oates, Get the Funk Out by Extreme, and All I Can Do by the Cars. Tried Selkies by Between the Buried and Me, but I think spending more time on that would expedite my trip to the asylum. :lol:

I've got another day or two in the trenches on this thing, so you guys want to throw me some of your all time favorite solos? I hate to girl out and gush in front of you guys, but out of the forums over the years, I have just loads of respect for you homies. Always funny, intelligent, kind, and helpful. GREAT community. I would be most appreciative. Throw up video links, too!
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Help a brotha out?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Ok here's two of my favourite s

Rosanna by Toto!

Whole lotta Rosie by Ac Dc
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Ok here's two of my favourite s

Rosanna by Toto!

Whole lotta Rosie by Ac Dc
Hot d@mn is it fun watching Angus play. With the way those SGs always look on him, he has to be five feet tall. Haha

That first solo in Rosanna in crazy tasty! Perfect; I always wanted to master the addictive 4-12 bar solo, but can never seem to pull off the great succinct solo like that.
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm pleased you like! :D So many BRILLIANT classic solo's from the 60s and 70s especially ....... but I think my favourite from the last 10 years would be ....

Blackbird by AlterBridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSrQlvTfB_4

Awesome song but solo starts about 6.35
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:42 pm

The 2nd solo in My Sharona was fun. Never heard it up until recently when we decided to do a cover of it.....probably cause radio djs love cutting the song around the 3 minute mark. Its good pinky exercise :-)
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 pm

snickerpuss wrote:Get the Funk Out by Extreme
Worked out the bass for 'Cupid's Dead' years ago. (Largely doubles the guitar.) That was fun, must resurrect it myself. Thanks for the thought.

Wish I could play anything Gilmour did on guitar with even a small fraction of his feel. Have worked out a fair few of his bass lines I guess - he recorded a lot of the bass on various Floyd albums even when Waters was around.

Just a thought: ever tried working out any Bach? Some of us reckon that old JS created the best music ever written, and he definitely came up with the best bass lines ever (well IMO anyway). If it grabs you there is certainly plenty to keep you going. He makes folk like Zappa (60 odd albums) look like one hit wonders.

Good luck with the project, and the sleep deprivation!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:12 am

a.hun wrote:
snickerpuss wrote:Get the Funk Out by Extreme
Worked out the bass for 'Cupid's Dead' years ago. (Largely doubles the guitar.) That was fun, must resurrect it myself. Thanks for the thought.

Wish I could play anything Gilmour did on guitar with even a small fraction of his feel. Have worked out a fair few of his bass lines I guess - he recorded a lot of the bass on various Floyd albums even when Waters was around.

Just a thought: ever tried working out any Bach? Some of us reckon that old JS created the best music ever written, and he definitely came up with the best bass lines ever (well IMO anyway). If it grabs you there is certainly plenty to keep you going. He makes folk like Zappa (60 odd albums) look like one hit wonders.

Good luck with the project, and the sleep deprivation!

Andy.
Thanks, man!

It's interesting you bring that up. When I learned Gilmour did all the bass on Animals, I was floored. It's so weird; his guitar playing is always slightly behind the beat, but on bass he definitely has the Miles Davis feel where he's slightly ahead and seemingly pushing it but not, yet still all that masterful vibrato. Such a unique groove to those tunes. Might be why that's my favorite album by them. And, you know, because Dogs is one of those guitar tones that's nearly impossible to replicate.

You guys ever hear the secret Snowy White on the uncut pigs on the wing?

https://youtu.be/3po6131Opko?t=1m8s
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:37 am

Clash "Clash City Rockers", Eddy Grant "Romancing the Stone", Byrds "Eight Miles High": 12-string but very cool, Flower Travellin' Band "Satori part. 2".

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:16 am

Solo in “Since I’ve Been Loving You” by Zep, still evokes physical and emotional reactions in me. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Probably my all time favourite.

Steve Stevens ” Desperate Heart” and "Slipping into Fiction" from Atomic Playboy

Bill Nelson Solo in the title track “Axe Victim” by Be Bop Deluxe

Like others, the Rosanna solo.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Hard to find a studio version anywhere online, but Reef's Back In My Place has a cool riff and a great solo.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 pm

for tone and emotive content, two of my fav's are Little Wing by SRV, and Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Sid Nitzerglobin

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 pm

The outro solo in Bold As Love gives me goosebumps and misty eyes at least half the time I actively listen to it.

Pretty much any of John McGlaughlin's work w/ Miles Davis is completely mind blowing to me, but good luck figuring most of them out.
Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 am

Learn the solo on Fuzz Universe from Paul Gilbert. It's starts at the beginning of the song and ends at the end of the song. :lol:

Seriously though, what about Sweet Child of Mine (the fast one), or for something different the saolo from the Wind Cries Mary? Another one I like is the first and second solo in Cheap Sunglasses. Time is always a classic Floyd solo as well.

PS: You really figured out the solo from Get the Funk Out, including the sweep picking in the middle, and can play it like that? Respect is in order if so. :wink:

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:33 am

bclaire wrote:Hard to find a studio version anywhere online, but Reef's Back In My Place has a cool riff and a great solo.
There it is. My next solo. Good call, mr. Claire!
Mystic38 wrote:for tone and emotive content, two of my fav's are Little Wing by SRV, and Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb
Gah, I wish... There are a few guitarists I cannot, for the life of me, do a decent impression of. Tony iommi and SRV are two of them. Incredibly difficult for me. Love that Comfortably Numb solo. Probably pound for pound the best guitar solo ever. After a long day, jamming on that extended Pulse solo just soothes the soul.
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:The outro solo in Bold As Love gives me goosebumps and misty eyes at least half the time I actively listen to it.

Pretty much any of John McGlaughlin's work w/ Miles Davis is completely mind blowing to me, but good luck figuring most of them out.
Yeah. Mclaughlin is a total animal. Spanish key and his titular song off Bitches Brew always give me the stank face. The first time I heard the innermounting flame rocked my world. Probably my first formal meeting with fusion. But like you said, good luck figuring most of them out. :lol:
Wendigo wrote:Learn the solo on Fuzz Universe from Paul Gilbert. It's starts at the beginning of the song and ends at the end of the song. :lol:

Seriously though, what about Sweet Child of Mine (the fast one), or for something different the saolo from the Wind Cries Mary? Another one I like is the first and second solo in Cheap Sunglasses. Time is always a classic Floyd solo as well.

PS: You really figured out the solo from Get the Funk Out, including the sweep picking in the middle, and can play it like that? Respect is in order if so. :wink:
Thanks, man! Definitely one of my greatest guitar milestones. The trick is that it's not sweeps, but fairly intuitive tapping runs! If it were sweeps, I'd never be able to get it. I love to jam, like to practice, but nothing sounds worse to me than trying to learn how to sweep. For my style and what I write, there's not way it's worth my time and limited skill just to nail that Selkies solo. :?
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:25 pm

I wasn't that familiar with Paul Gilbert so i checked that out on YouTube.. man, that dude has seriously freakishly long fingers!..
Wendigo wrote:Learn the solo on Fuzz Universe from Paul Gilbert. It's starts at the beginning of the song and ends at the end of the song. :lol:
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***