Strymon...?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bensnake
Orange Master

Strymon...?

Post by Bensnake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm

I'm about to order an Orange Bax B for my CS50 and I want to combine the Bax with a delay and reverb pedal. Strymon Blue Sky and El Capistan seem to be the ones... Anyone with experiences and/or advices?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Strymon...?

Post by Jondog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I had the Blue Sky. One of my favorites. Crystal clear and top quality. It's one of the most transparent out there. No tone loss. All of Strymons stuff is worth the money.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks! Any experience with El Capistan? The vids on youtube are really great IMO.
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 pm

I can't compare the two since I've only tried one but the El Capistan sounds absolutely fantastic.
Beautiful and clear.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I had the Timeline which has some of El Capistans algorithms. Outstanding quality.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:02 am

Still have the timeline, bought it right when they were announced. Recently re-bought the bluesky. Top notch pedals. The TL is definatly amazing value compared to the stand alone pedals, but if you are set on the CAP get the favourite switch to go with it. I think it's something like $50, but totally worth it for another delay setting.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:47 am

I've had the El Cap on my board for a long time now (started with the first version). I use it as a bit of slap back with the favorite switch and then use it for ambient trails in songs. I love it. Actually just bought v2 as I'm taking my rig stereo but v1 would have kept me extremely happy if I didn't go stereo. It's a great pedal.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 am

Got a Timeline and a Mobius. Top notch pedals, and I usually hate the "tweaker's delight" million parameter doo-dads, but these are intuitive and, unlike mesa boogies, sound great at most settings. The capistan is the single best delay pedal I've used. I've never played an old Binson or Roland Space Echo, but the capistan hit right on with the echoplex iii I used. Strymon attention to detail is ridiculous. They really nailed the random feel of the warble and wow and flutter instead of paltry vibrato and/or chorus mod on top. Add the multi, fixed, and single head modes along with a really sterile and cold magnetic reverb sim and it's a helluva pedal. Only big reason I stick with the timeline is the presets, so I flip through 20 capistan settings on the fly. Haha Seriously, though. This thing may be the secret sauce to make your bax sound like a monster.

Do not own a blue sky, but I have used one. In the end, it didn't make the cut, not because it's not a phenomenal reverb, but because spacial extravaganza reverb washes were never my thang. I just wanted nice, traditional plate, hall, and spring verbs to liven up the homestead and smaller venues, and I found those in a smaller, cheaper pedal. Having said that, am seriously considering taking the dive and going for a bigsky, just because I can see a lot of potential inspiration from all those nontraditional effects.

These may be the last delay and reverb pedals you get for a long time. Only gripe I've heard is of a strymon "signature digital sheen" on the wet repeats and reverbs, but that's likely psychosomatic. Only caveat!: these pedals are great from subtle to extreme, but there are many cheaper options out there for subtle and I recommend other options if you can't see yourself using these for anything other than slapbacks and a little room reverb.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:04 am

I'm wondering when strymon will finally come out with a multiFX like the tc electronic G system.

All of their delays, modulations, reverb in one big easy to use box......
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for all your inputs! :D It seems like Strymon is a the way to go. I've never owned one myself so I guess it'll be a positive experience for me buying a couple of them... I want classic stompboxes with knobs, that's why I don't choose the Timeline or Big Sky. Don't like menu diving...
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Actually that's what I love about Strymon Timeline and Möbius. Super easy to use and not much menu diving at all. Very much like a stomp box. I hated using Eventide products because of menus.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:33 pm

There are tons of controls, but to be honest I never use them. I have been perfectly fine using the stock presets. There are tons of different sounds already setup. Just flip to a patch, tap in your temp, and you are good to go!

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 pm

I have an el cap and it sounds amazing thru my amps that have an effects loop, but i definitely lose a bit of tone and depth when its in the front of the amp. I live with it cuz my non-effects loop amps - (Rocker 30 and fuchs blackjack) have tone to spare. I tried an analog man buffer pedal in the chain but it didn't make a difference, to my ears anyway.

also, there was a problem with mine where the dry signal would completely cut out leaving only the wet signal which of course sounded like crap. if I turned it off and on the dry signal would return. stepped on the it was past the warranty but they took it back and fixed it free, which is very cool. a month later it happened again but now it hasn't happened in a month or more.

it sounded so incredible thru the effects loop on my pro reverb and th30, both of which I have sold. my next amp, will definitely have an effects loop.

OT
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Strange to hear that bug with the El Cap. What are you powering it with? The only problem I ever had with my BlueSky was when I accidentally plugged it into the wrong jack on my Pedal Power. It wasn't getting enough juice and started acting crazy.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:35 pm

good question. I've always used the supply plug that it came with. I'm pretty sure its 9v but I do remember the current being a little higher than a standard pedal. I'm not home so i can't check now.
Boy_Narf wrote:Strange to hear that bug with the El Cap. What are you powering it with? The only problem I ever had with my BlueSky was when I accidentally plugged it into the wrong jack on my Pedal Power. It wasn't getting enough juice and started acting crazy.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof